The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: One liners after I borrow a finger ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
GrassosMagicTheatre
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of GrassosMagicTheatre
Aaaand go!
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
Thank you madame.. I wasn't guessing your occupation.
Northern California
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
That was easy.....Husband must be out of town eh??
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
This must be worth $30.00.
Northern California
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Or you could not insult the lady that has graciously leant you her ring and find your humour elsewhere?
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Quote:
On 2012-01-04 13:11, magicgeorge wrote:
Or you could not insult the lady that has graciously leant you her ring and find your humour elsewhere?

OH GOSH! Like with any joke, there is a time and a place for everything. If you are in a comedy club...completely appropriate. If you are at a little girls birthday party....not appropriate.

Now that we are all educated on the do's and don't's of comedy magic let the insults continue!!
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Indeed, let them continue:
Thanks for the education, knucklehead.

So, if your in a comedy club it's ok to borrow a ladies ring then suggest it's a cheap piece of crap and she's probably looking to screw around?

Grow some sense.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
On 2012-01-05 02:17, magicgeorge wrote:

Kinda negates your argument about not using insults? Smile
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Or proves it Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Though it has been a while since I have worked true comedy clubs, it seems that original material was always appreciated over hack work.

For full disclosure, yes I used to do ring put down humor...as well as oldies like..
1st comes the engagement ring, then the wedding ring..

and then the "suffer-ring". That was back in the 70's and 80's with club and singing telegram work.

I love to offer suggestions. A bit of information about the type of character you portray, what has happened prior to the ring bit, and what props are to be used or are just out/visible.

sound effect ...ring....ring....ring...

sorry I got to answer my phone rude option....

These days, I am blessed with great in-laws, and theatre based wife. My wife wears one taken from my mom's ring, the other from her mother.

Reality can be used to create jokes that work for you. Mixing sewious with funny works for me. As some have noted my act these days is not based on laugh per minute, like it used to be.

Also a side question for those that do the ring flight...do you also have insurance...for your self and your act.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Quote:
On 2012-01-05 07:03, Quentin wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-05 02:17, magicgeorge wrote:

Kinda negates your argument about not using insults? Smile

I didn't think it was legal for guys who wore checkered multi-color pants and made balloon animals were allowed to throw insults. I suppose if all you perform are little kid shows and retirement homes then you probably wouldn't get that in some venues insults are appropriate. When I was performing in Iraq and Afghanistan the more insulting I could be the better the audience loved it.....even the women.
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
We have tons of insult jokes in our show, not once has one not gone over well. Some people just don't understand proper delivery or no matter how hard they try they can't pull off that type of humor and as a result have a chip on their shoulder for those who can pull it off successfully. Helimagic said it best in regards to the right time and place, then said it better when calling out the guy with obnoxious overalls......LOL
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Ha, ha, yes, my trousers are silly. Zing! ...I don't think insult humour is for you.

Who is Helimagic? Were his comments removed for being too witty?

I didn't say that insult humour was never appropriate. True, it's not my style but I know folks who do it well, my shoulder is a chip free zone.

My point is that, no matter how you deliver them, those ring lines are unoriginal, hacky, misogynist crap and will alienate a crowd. Just my opinion, I might be wrong in which case I guess I'll never gig in those big afghanistani comedy clubs that all the top peformers play.
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Quote:
On 2012-01-07 05:42, magicgeorge wrote:
Ha, ha, yes, my trousers are silly. Zing! ...I don't think insult humour is for you.

I didn't say that insult humour was never appropriate. True, it's not my style but I know folks who do it well, my shoulder is a chip free zone.

My point is that, no matter how you deliver them, those ring lines are unoriginal, hacky, misogynist crap and will alienate a crowd. Just my opinion, I might be wrong in which case I guess I'll never gig in those big afghanistani comedy clubs that all the top peformers play.

It's one thing for people to simply think someone is an idiot, yet another for that individual to open their mouth and prove it to them. Do you honestly think he was performing for the Afghani's? He actually fell into a long line of A-listers who have performed for Soldiers overseas, and you're right, your act will probably never develop into something that good. A simple search on youtube will show him performing for audiences of over 1000 Soldiers, as well as having a national news segment filmed about his shows in those countries. Helimagic is actually w_s_anderson, that is his user name in other forums. Your snide under handed passive/agressive comments just prove that you are a rank amature who speaks from ignorance. Keep sticking to your opinions, they are assured to get you exactly where you are going.....nowhere.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
You're so silly.

I didn't start the pishing contest. I offered my opinion on those lines and he started telling me what works in comedy clubs which apparently he knows better than me cos he showed some tricks to his mates at work (the point I was making by pretending he was playing middle east comedy clubs).
You're both entitled to your opinions. I'm sticking with mine. Thanks!

P.S. I keep my mouth closed to type it keeps the dribble off the keyboard Smile
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Quote:
On 2012-01-07 11:57, AllAboutMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-07 05:42, magicgeorge wrote:

It's one thing for people to simply think someone is an idiot, yet another for that individual to open their mouth and prove it to them. Do you honestly think he was performing for the Afghani's? He actually fell into a long line of A-listers who have performed for Soldiers overseas, and you're right, your act will probably never develop into something that good. A simple search on youtube will show him performing for audiences of over 1000 Soldiers, as well as having a national news segment filmed about his shows in those countries. Helimagic is actually w_s_anderson, that is his user name in other forums. Your snide under handed passive/agressive comments just prove that you are a rank amature who speaks from ignorance. Keep sticking to your opinions, they are assured to get you exactly where you are going.....nowhere.

Calling someone a knucklehead is hardly "offering your opinion."
braabesflaben
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of braabesflaben
What you could say when you get a ring is:" thanks a lot, but it is not my size."
How is that for an on-topic response that isn't insulting in any way, exept maybe when the
person who gives you the ring morbidly obese and is selfconsious about his or her weight,
in that case even a "size"joke would not sit well, I guess
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Aaron, that's a joke. He said "let the insults continue" so that's what I was doing.

It also proves how badly some people take insult humour.
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Quote:
On 2012-01-08 00:55, magicgeorge wrote:
Aaron, that's a joke. He said "let the insults continue" so that's what I was doing.

It also proves how badly some people take insult humour.

Or proves my point that no matter how hard they try, some people just are not funny. Apparently nobody got the humor in your "joke."
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Hey, I thought obnoxious overalls was funny. Sorry you didn't get my joke, I'll try harder next time.