The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: How far can you take this gag? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
After many years of working a stand-up comedy magic act in a clubroom that seated about 60 people, I began to play around with a funny gag. Tell me what you think?

During my act, if a lady would leave the room and take a trip to the restroom, if appropriate, I would stop the show once she was out of the room and then I would invite the audience to play a gag on her later on when she comes back.

I would quickly coach the audience to play along. What would happen later proved to be very funny.

Here is how it went; during the rest of the show I would invite the lady to assist me on stage. After her assistance with one of my standard routines, I would ask her if I could perform one more trick with her?

I would pull out a giant magic wand and tell her I was about to make her become invisible right in front of the audience. I would state that this was the first time I had ever attempted to perform this effect but tonight I was going to make it a first.

I would count to three, say the magic word, and as I did I would toss a thin black cloth over her head, as the audience would begin to cheer and shout words of amazement with thunderous applause.

(Remember, I had coached the audience to play along when she was out of the room.)

I would take my bow and continue to act as if she was not standing there right next to me. The audience could see her through the thin black cloth and yet they would play along watching her reaction. You never knew what she was going to do. Some would speak and deny it. Others would stand there motionless. Some would peek out from under the cloth. Most would just stand there laughing not really knowing what was going on.

Of course before long, I would bring her back at the wave of the magic wand as I pulled the cloth away. I would then ask them what it felt like to be invisible and allowed them to express themselves.

Let me conclude by saying that this gag turned out to be a lot of fun. Audiences would really get into this gag.

You may think I am taking this gag way too far. It's true it may not work for you. But every time I performed this gag, people loved it.

Are you brave enough to try this?
If you are, let us know how it went?

I am looking for other ideas.

Steve Hart
Cape Canaveral, FL USA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Steve,
I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing, I will certainly give it a try if the situation presents itself. Great idea.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Andy H
View Profile
Regular user
London
106 Posts

Profile of Andy H
This an idea from AoA, called the Nowhere man.
Paul Harris: My Astonishing Hero
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Well, it's not the exact same idea. Nowhere Man is more for a formal stage performance. It's a very well thought-out surreal gag. Steve's is less elaborate and more fun-natured. The underlying principle is the same, but I doubt you could credit Paul or Steve with the original notion. It's in how it's applied.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Steve,

Thanks for making me laugh today, Steve. I think it's a very funny gag.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the various reactions of the spectators you chose.

Chrystal Smile
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
Good bit, Steve! The premise of cuing spectators while one is out of the room could be used for many effects.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
The cuing could even happen in real time, in a way that the participant can't see but the audience can. A big clear and simple sign that cues the audience what to do along with a wink from the magician. Could work.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just curious--do you tell the invisible woman what really happened in the end? I think you should--so she doesn't feel foolish. It could be a fun moment among you, the audience and the woman.

Landmark
MindMyst
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
32 Posts

Profile of MindMyst
Naturally, the perfect way to "clue her in" would be to throw the same dark cloth over yourself after saying that it's time for you to go.

With a bit of foresight you could even reveal this to the audience to get them to go along with you at this point also... there she is in the middle of the audience, who apparently can't "see" you, but she certainly can.

By the way, I've used this principle often... usually having an audience "look out" in place, and describing to the audience the most unusual thing that they would all agree that they saw me do... like having the floor crack open three feet wide, then draw back to mend itself... that kind of thing.

When the "look out" gave us the high sign, the entire audience would begin a thunderous applause, while looking at the spot on the floor.

Naturally, the "image" is described to the victim, and when asked to repeat the feat, I'd of course, say that I can't repeat myself.

I've also noticed that over time, someone visits me months later, and asks me how I can cause such a thing to happen... having retained the image I conjured, or hearing the tale from someone who was there. It's an interesting phenomenon.

L8r,
Joe
The Truth Will Set Your Fee
http://mindmyst.blogspot.com/
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I did a similar thing once, where I told the crowd they should all clap when I say the word magic. It freaked the woman out who left the room!

You could set up a whole series of things the audience should do on cue.
VinceMagicMan
View Profile
New user
New York City
52 Posts

Profile of VinceMagicMan
Steve I am aching now to do that. No way (in my opinion) was that taken too far, that was perfect...I'll let you know how it goes for me when I try it...Thanks for sharing! Smile
Vince MagicMan
(Nuff Said)
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Steve,

This sounds very nearly normal.

I will try it (with your permission) in the future, when it seems like the "right moment."

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Steve,

That sounds like it would work very well and would be a lot of fun for the audience! Well Done!
Smile
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
It'd be really cool if you could call up a very "flat" woman in the audience and also give her Huge Hooters. This would really get the guys going!
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
I'd imagine it wouldn't go over too well with the women in the audience, Cabrera. Much less the woman on stage. You need the kind of audience that isn't offended easily.
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Quote:
On 2003-07-19 10:31, Cabrera wrote:
It'd be really cool if you could call up a very "flat" woman in the audience and also give her Huge Hooters. This would really get the guys going!

Hmmmm. No. It wouldnt.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are