The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: How do I make my magic routine funny? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
purpulhaze
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of purpulhaze
Can someone please tell me how I would go about incorporating comedy into my magic? I am not new to magic but I've never really tried to combine the two. Could someone suggest a book, video or something that would help me in this process? I'd like to make my magic more memorable and entertaining. I think comedy would be the best way of doing this. Any suggestions? Anyone! Please!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
If you aren't funny to start with, it's all but impossible to make you funny!

First of all, what sort of magic do you do? And for whom? And where? And tell us a little more about yourself.

I don't think any book or video is going to be much help; remember, the authors generally have successful comedy routines but the reason they are successful is that they are being done by the person who wrote them! To try to graft them onto someone else usually doesn't work.

So, Purpul, give us some more details and we may be able to offer some advice.
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
Read every book you can get your hands on by Dave Barry, Tom Bodette, and George Carlin.

They all have a way of taking a look at everyday things and making them funny. Try to look at things the same way they do.

Listen to monologues by Jay Leno or Dave Letterman. Those will help too. The funniest things are things around us that we see in a different light.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
ferraroj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of ferraroj
You might want to look at a book called Stand-UP Comedy The Book by Judy Carter.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I think Aldo had a great book with some really funny one-liners. That book alone helped me create my own material. If you're just a witty person that can't really sit down and make up something funny, I would just let the act take you. If you're not funny, don't try to be.

Lee
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
If you crack a joke, don't forget to make it clear what you are saying.
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
tkuhns
View Profile
Regular user
Kirksville, Missouri
134 Posts

Profile of tkuhns
This may sound pretty general, but whatever you do, BE SINCERE. Be yourself. Good to pull a few ideas off of others, BETTER to think of what you would do if you were trying to be funny in a social situation. We all have an innate sense of humor to some extent. Try to tap that.

I think it helps if you physically DO your routines over and over again, ad libbing as much as you can. Often, you will stumble across something funny that just pops up.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Most of the above information is correct, but I`m not very funny. I can't tell jokes, yet my act makes people laugh. When I do a serious trick it doesn't go so well.

Most of the major comedy actors are actors not comedians. Silent films are remembered for comedies not action.

Silly things like miscounting and dropping things. Corny jokes delivered straight. Let the magic be funny not you and listen to the audience. They will feed you lines and you can act as straight man.

If they like you and you are relaxed and they are having a good time they will laugh. Find a comedy magic trick where you do not seem in control and see what happens. Sit-coms are not funny in themselves. Just try it gradually and don`t try and force it. Remember Buster Keaton!
Eddie
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Ways to incorporate comedy into your show:

• 1. Purchase novelty effects like Pro Viper II, Vanishing Bandana, Professor's Cheer, Man-Eating Plant, etc.
  • 2. Add comedy props that are naturally funny such as snake in a can, giant tooth brush, Large

Here is a list of things you can draw upon to make your magic funnier:

1. Do things that are Physically Funny.
  • Clumsiness
  • Facial Expressions
  • Gestures
  • Klutz
  • Movement: Slow Motion, Fast Motion, Freeze, Robotic
  • Physical Injury: Slapstick
  • Walking

2. Use things that are Visually Funny.
  • Baby Toys
  • Butt Stuff
  • Competition
  • Costumes
  • Crying
  • Extremely Big Things
  • Extremely Small Things
  • Foam Objects
  • Funny Pictures
  • Funny Props
  • Funny Wands
  • Hats
  • Magician in Trouble: Trick Breaks
  • Noise Makers
  • Nose Stuff: Boogers (Gross Stuff)
  • Puppets
  • Running Gags
  • Sight Gags
  • Stinky Stuff
  • Strange Goofy Props
  • Underarm Stuff

3. Say things that are Verbally Funny
  • Bodily Function Noises: Burping, & Farting
  • Crying
  • High Pitch Voice
  • Loud Voice
  • Low Pitch Voice
  • Musical Jokes and Comedy Limericks
  • One Liners
  • Puns
  • Running Gag Lines
  • Saying Funny Things
  • Silly Magic Words
  • Silly Names
  • Slow Talking
  • Telling Jokes
  • Verbal Mistakes, (Blue silk called red)
  • Whining

4. Use Music or Audio sounds
  • Funny Songs
  • Noise Makers
  • Sound Clips
  • Squeakers
  • Fart Machines (use with an appearing rabbit or Rocky Racoon if this is your thing)
Dennis Michael
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Why not just do an act where everything seems to go wrong?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The great Carl Ballantine started out many, many years ago with an act that was beautiful, difficult— and very reminiscent of Cardini's.

Trouble was, at the time, just about every magician was doing the same thing and in the same way.

While clowning around in a magic shop one day, someone suggested to Carl that, since he was so good at comedy, he should combine comedy with the magic, instead of doing a sophisticated manipulation routine.

He did and, as they say, the rest is history.
purpulhaze
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of purpulhaze
Hey,

Thanks guys. You guys have given me some pretty good ideas. I just went to my first SAM meeting last week and one of the guys performing was quite entertaining as far as incorporating comedy and magic. I spoke with him after his performance and he pretty much said some of the same things you guys have said. I think I'm going to brain storm tonight with my pen and pad to come up with some more ideas. Thanks!