The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: Comedy with a Partner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Zach Allen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Zach Allen
My girlfriend has recently agreed to be my assistant during my stage shows. I'm looking for humourous by-play that I could work into the act that involves two people. I'd like to have short little dialogues between the two of us that could be the two of us insulting each other, but all in good fun. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Zach Allen
Check out all 6 of my e-books!
The Magic of Zach Allen

Also, here is a free PDF of ideas:
Starlit Circles
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Watch old tapes of Sonny and Cher.
ha ha Smile
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Consider that the insulting type of comedy didn't work too well for Sonny & Cher, in the long run at least.
It is hard to do it for a prolonged period of time without it getting a little too real. For a good long term relationship anyway.

I suggest you watch old Burns & Allen tapes. They were and still are Hilarious.
I haven't tried it, but I'll bet you could get some good ideas from it.
If you can't get any inspiration from them, There have been lots of comedy teams, check them out.
Good luck
Steve Smile
zzz
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Zach,

The last words of the famous actor Edmund Kean supposedly were, "Dying is easy. Comedy is hard." The actual origin of the line is unknown but the truth of it is beyond doubt.

There's a lot more than "funny" lines to consistently getting laughs. Timing, delivery, facial expression and body language are all important factors.

This is not meant to discourage you, merely to call your attention to what you may already realize. Perhaps you are already a master of comedic presentation. Even if you are, what is the skill level and experience of your partner to be? A comedic double act is more than twice as difficult as a solo.

Most importantly, are you both willing to work hard on developing an act that works? If you are, then the advice already given about studying classic double acts is good.
Please note that I stress studying not lifting from.

Yes, comedy is hard ... and worth every bit of the effort involved.

Best of luck,

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
You know what would be really funny? If she was constantly telling you that you're sleeping alone from now on. Well, not really, but I had to say something didn't I?
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
mikejorden
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of mikejorden
Get the latest Rich Marotta DVD/Video. It is all about comedy with a partner.