The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: In Over Your Head or Powers of Darkness? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1431 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
I really like both of these routines and would love to do both of them in my act, but I'm a little concerned that it would be too much "sucker" magic for one show. I don't want to end up having all of my spectators not trust me when they get on stage which could potentially ruin some tricks. If you think I'm being paranoid let me know, but if not which of these routines would you rather keep?
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I think one is a sucker act, not the other. POD is great and if done right really lets EVERYONE enjoy something special. I don't do PBOH that much anymore. It has to be the right crowd. POD can be performed for a wide range of audiences but I guess it really depends on how well you treat them before you try to perform it. If they like you and you treated them well and with respect then they'll go along with you. BUT if you are a smart alec then it won't matter, they will eat you alive and therefore you will have ruined a great effect.

I don't think Mike Caveney EVER had a problem doing the effect. He's a REALLY nice guy and treats his audience with respect, does some excellent magic and is a true professional. THAT's what makes it all work.

Good luck.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The powers of darkness has been a fantastic under used routine for a LONG time.

I did it in comedy clubs for a LONG time and never had a problem with it. Just take the edge off of it and treat people with respect it goes great.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1431 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
But what do you guys think about performing both routines in one act, is it too much? What if I put a few routines between them? More input, please.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not familiar with the other routine, but 2 sucker effects, tough to pull off really.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
You might possibly be able to combine the two with a premise of using the PBOH as a warm-up to do POD. Frankly that would be the only way I would do them both in the same show since in my opinion they are too similar.

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Yeah can we get a Effect description?

I can't find either on the web.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1431 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
In Over Your Head is a cut and restored rope routine by Steve Bedwell and Powers of Darkness is available from Mike Caveney. Both routines operate on the premise that the audience sees the secret to the trick but the spectator doesn't.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Instinctively I think doing both these effects in 1 show is not as good an idea as including just one of them but maybe that's a good reason to try it and see. The golden rule is there are no golden rules so experiment and see.

Regarding the merits/strengths/weakness's of the two routines:(just my opinions)

Power of Darkness can be difficult for the audience to follow. They have information from the perspective of two different realities (the specky's and their own) to process. I remember seeing Mike Caveney do this some years ago and I really liked it but a friend who was with me simply could not fathom what was, or was supposed to be, going on! Also I am, for some reason, slightly uncomfortable with the idea of blindfolding the specky that has come up to help out. They are already in a 'vunerable' position to start with and I'm pretty sure that personally I wouldn't be comfortable if mine was the role of said specky in this situation.

There is also a situation of two realities in In Over Your Head but the crowd don't have to fully take on board the assisting speckys perspective to 'get it'. It's enough just to know that the assisting specky isn't seeing the whole picture. Some of the crowd might not even fully absorb exactly how what they are seeing (and the specky is missing) makes the effect work but they ceratainly know that they have seen several aspects of the trick's modus operandi that the specky hasn't even though it's 'right in front of them'.

Also in POD (because of the blindfold)the specky is somewhat excluded from the effect while in IOYH they are very much included.

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1431 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Thanks Neal, that was the kind of informed response I was looking for. I'll consider what you said very carefully.