The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: Video of Vanishing Bandana being performed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Hi all,

Do any of you know where I could find such a video?

Ive read about the effect lots of times and I get the gist of it, but it doesn't sound funny at all.

However, I'd love to see it performed!

Many Thanks

Gary
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Just do it, they will start laughing as soon as you pull out the bananna. I don't know where to find it on video other than Copperfield's 1986 Great Wall of China special. But if you just act like it is all a big mistake and that there is supposed to be a bandanna in there instead of a bananna then you will do fine.
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Sure,

Well firstly this would be very hard to pull of here in the UK without putting on an American Accent,

Secondly, I still cant see how it could be funny. I'm not saying it's NOT, that's why I want to see it for myself Smile

Gary
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
The first time I saw this effect, I felt the same way. I guess I didn't "get it."

Then I saw another magician do it ... more importantly, I got how the audience reacted to it. I now close my show with it. Crazy as it sounds, "the banana trick" is the one everyone remembers. And even though you might not think so, I have had people come up after a show and ask "Where DID the banana go?"

If you have any kind of flair for comedy, it can be a big hit. Unfortunately, I don't know where there might be a video available.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Thanks for the reply.

Is the accompanying CD funny? Is it well produced or un-necessary?

Cheers

Gary
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
260 Posts

Profile of trickychris
I beleive that joe pasquale has a few dvds/videos out on the market and on the extras of one of them there is a short clip of him doing this trick.........i think!
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Gary, I still use the older version that came with an audio cassette. It is well produced; it isn't funny in itself, but it's all part of what makes the routine. I've told people it's my little nod to Red Skelton since it gives me an opportunity to do some pantomime in my show.

I should clarify that the first time I saw it performed (demonstrated, really) was at a dealer's booth at a magic convention. It took seeing it (years later) in front of a lay audience to realize what strong piece of entertainment it is.

Happy weekend!
Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
You could watch it in one of David Copperfield's TV specials. I don't recall which one.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
The original recording is accepetable. However, I have tweaked my by using a different voice and by addind a humourous sound track behind it. I have been using this effect for years, TRUST ME - IT KILLS! Someone annoying actually. I spend thousands on illusions, and the $35 trick is more liked.

Another way I have heard of doing this, is have a kid come on stage and read you instructions of how to do the effect. Comedy Gold.

Careful not to get Bandana all over your sport coat.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
RSD, you've hit the nail on the head! What is it about this supposedly simple bit involving a cassette tape, a DH, and a banana that strikes a chord with audiences? I can knock myself out for 35 minutes getting big laughs with my vent act, or flooring 'em with mentalism, and what they talk about later is the banana. But why fight it?

I'm thinking even an absolute beginner could do well with this routine. But if you have any kind of acting ability, any flair for visual comedy and reactions, this could potentially be your showstopper.

See ya!
Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
A few extra ideas...

1) Use an actual postage bag rather then the box it comes with

2) Put confetti or a yellow silk in the DH to draw attention away from

3) Don't react BEFORE the you hear the instruction.

4) Have a gift box in the audience for the whole show. Later on in your act when you
are meant be be reproducing a signed bill or ring etc reproduce the squashed banana.

5) Add longer pauses if you struggle getting the bag folded up etc.
Magicshore
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of Magicshore
Gary:

I also used this trick for a summer of shows last year and as a few of the others have said....it is a killer !!! The reaction is outstanding and it will most likely be the trick that your audience will remark or ask about. All you have to do is act it out as if you haven't a clue as to what is happening. People laugh so hard during this routine that I suggest you have the volume up on your player or recorder so they can hear the recording. If I could make a statement here, it would be " Stop all mental processing this moment. Go to the phone. Call your dealer and order it". After you get it and perform it you'll say " Now why can't there be more magic this great for les than $40?".
Hope you get it. It truly is a fantastic trick that you will love.

John
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Thanks ever so much for all the replies and once again, thank you for forcing my wages out of my pocket and into the hands of that nasty magic dealer.

I'll let you guys know how I get on Smile

Gary
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Gary,

I have done a version of this trick as a skit (no magic involved)for about 40 years and it always gets laughs and is always remembered. Just remember it borders on slapstick. My version uses an assistant who mistakenly Picks up a banana instead of the bandana... Lots of by play and ends with the assistant smashing the banana on my (the world famous magician's)head. It is actually much easier now, 'cause when I started doing this I had a lot more hair and it was harder to get the banana out!

I have seen some very marginal performers do this trick (one using the CD version and one using the cassette tape version) and they both carried it off well. Any comedian will tell you, there is just something funny about a banana.

Do be careful with the banana...you don't want to send your tux to the cleaners after every set.

Tim
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Hi Peeps!

The Vanishimg Bandana os one of my favorite comedy prop. I was able to purchase mine a few years ago and came with a cassette tape. You can only hear a voice but no background music.

So what I did was edit the whole thing and added some background music and sound effects and converted it into cd format. I've also adjusted the "gaps" to suit my timing and routine. Lately, they release an improved version of the said effect.

Hope this help!

Sal
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I've watched people do it, I've listend to the CD myself. In my opinion it is a hidden prize for the entertainer challenged individual. There are only so many laughs you can get with this, whereas your own routine it is unlimited.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Smudge
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Smudge
Quote:
On 2006-04-07 17:38, trickychris wrote:
I beleive that joe pasquale has a few dvds/videos out on the market and on the extras of one of them there is a short clip of him doing this trick.........i think!

I think its a great routine but personally I wouldn't do it. for the above reason.
Here in the UK it has been done to death I know of at least 6 magicians who do the routine. I got to a gig in a holiday centre the other night and the entertainments manager asked me if I did in his words "the banana trick" when I said no he said "Thank god for that" and went on to tell me that nearly wevery magic act that works there does the same routine word for word.

I can think of nothing worse that having someone look at your routine and in their eyes think that you stole it from someone else.
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
I agree wholeheartedly Smile
Scotty Mills
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Scotty Mills
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Hello everyone!

You can all see this routine done the way it should be done by watching my 12 year old son do it for a local telethon.

Just go to our club website at http://www.geocities.com/ibm_ring_332/

Click on the multimedia links and start the first video. The Bandana routine is the third effect on the video. Make sure you watch the video all the way through as I finish with "Celebritie".

S. Patrick