The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: Help!!! presentation problem... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I have a problem with a trick I'm doing right now:

The effect is very dry, and I'm not sure what to add to it to "spice it up" (I tried salt, but that just ruined the cards...)

Usually I just let the routine evolve over time, but this one I wanna cheat a little on.

so here's the premise:

A card is thought of. you give them the deck to hold.

You look them in the eyes and tell them the name of their card.
then it appears on top of the deck.

I know, the way its been written, that it sounds like muddled blocking, but believe me, its not. I just wrote it like that to make it sorta vague...

what Im looking for is some jokes you can use in situations like this: cards and mind reading.

1)Make your mind a blank. Oh! that was fast!
2)Concentrate. Like the orange juice.
3)Burn this card in your memory. Won't he look funny with a card burnt into his memory?

etc.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow if those are the jokes you are going for, then cut the routine all together.

Most of the humor is going to come from situational things here. You reacting to things they do or say. They will only say a few things universally so you are good. Just find out their reactions and go from there.

Stock jokes like you mentioned are not going to help the routine at all. Make them more you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Lol.

I don't use any of those jokes, and I apologise for not making this clear:
those are the only jokes I've been told regarding card mentalism... and none of them are usuable.

the blank one is rude, the juice one is corny, and the last one is nonsensical.
and none of them are funny...

As I mentioned in the first post, usually I let the routine evolve and grow out of performing situations, but I wanna cheat a little this time.

I have a great routine, but theres no humour. And while it plays very well, its so out of character...

I went from being me to being darren brown...
and then back to me for the next trick...

so I'm wondering if people can throw out lines, suggestions, or situations for me to work with.

Thanks in advance!

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
No one has any suggestions?

I like the line: "Im thinking of starting a cult..."

and I have something for the begining, but Im still looking for suggestions, even if its just for insight...

Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
If it's an older (over 30), [married] guy, then you can use Michael Finney's line:

Have the spectator hold the deck of cards to his forhead. When he touches it to his forhead, say "Oh c'mon, lets be real about this" and move the deck towards the top of his head (referring to his receading hair line).

Then after that joke is over, say "okay, now think of your card, and once you got it, concentrate really hard and I will attempt to read your mind...hold on, its coming to me...woah, who's Joni? *audience laugh*, Chachi's girlfriend? *wink* (referring to a prostitute or ex girlfriend/wife). Okay, seriously, your card is coming to me...".

Procede to get serious and eventually name his card.
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Change it so you are actually demonstrating SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES.

Start by saying, "Have you ever heard of sublimnal advertising or subliminal messages"?

If they say yes or no, go on by saying "Good, For those that don't know, it's where your subconscience picks up a message that your conscience is not even aware of. Movie theaters used to flash 1 frame of hot steamy popcorn, and a dripping ice cold soda and people would rush to the snack bar, totally unaware of the message delivered to their subconscience"

(This alone will get them anticipating, whether they believe in it or not)

Go on by saying "I would like to deliver a message to your subconscience to prove this mystery. The message is both visual as well as verbal so watch and listen"

(Hold your finger up to get their attention and when they are looking intently, rapidly move your finger (any way you want, I use a spiral shape sometimes) and also say at the same time "babaditamo" (or something just as silly in a falsetto and extremely fast voice).

This should get some laughter as it is absolutely a rediculas thing to see and hear.

Go on by saying "There, the work is done. You may now chooose any card you freely (Roll eyes and emphasize FREELY) think of".

No matter what they say, respond by saying "Would you like to change your mind or keep the mind you have, I mean card".

The named card is then turned over to reveal the power of SUBLIMINAL ADVERTISING!!
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
Look the person in the eyes and say." I want you to think of nothing but "pure thoughts" pause a bit and then look at your watch... hurry up we're running out of time.... then take the deck back and say... Sorry we can't do the trick.. do this in jest...and then you can purify his mind with a small car vacuum...as a gag while saying' I know you think this trick really sucks!
then proceed with the trick and open up the vacuum and remove his thought of card!
Shake out all the dust while saying, boy you sure have a dirty mind...(if you're good at comedy they won't take offense.

Charlie Cabrera
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Woo!

There is an excellent trick, Mind control (a re-release of an old trick by Bill Abbott), in which I use a patter about advertising. The gag you suggested is an interesting one muzicman. I don't talk about subliminal advertising, but its a funny premise which I'll play with.

I also like the production of the card from the vacuum (is this your routine?). The issue with this is that while its funny, it needs a routine essentially based around it...

What Im looking for is lines (not throw away lines) that add to the enjoyment of the effect, but don't detract from the effect itself. Chachi's gf is funny as well...

Thanks guys! Keep em coming.

My thing of the week: R.L. Burnside (or is it L.R...). Worth checking out. that's all I'll say.

Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Nordatrax:

Here's a possibility for you - Wayne Dobson has a couple DVDs out right now - he was known for (and is still known for) his presentations of standard plots - with lots fun and one liners.

I have both his DVDs - "Unplugged" and "Dobson's Choice" and there is some very funny stuff I think you can adapt to your routine(s). If you've never seen Wayne Dobson, you might want to start with "Dobson's Choice" as it shows him during his television series in the UK.

Wayne has MS and is still very funny on "Unplugged", but his delivery is not nearly as quick as it was during the TV series.

Even if you don't use the material on the DVDs, you will be inspired by him. His story/situation is one of the great, inspirational stories in the magic world. I admire him as much as anybody in this world.

Ron
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I do know of wayne dobson. I didn't realize he had videos out.

I will look into them, thanks.

Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
"also like the production of the card from the vacume (is this your routine?). The issue with this is that while its funny, it needs a routine essentially based around it..."

Yes it is one of my routines. And there is an entire routine built within. I just think that you need to develop your own personal routine using the "idea" One good routine takes at least a year to build and then many more years to get down...if you're performing.

good luck!
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
True enough.

I was just clarifying that it wasnt supposed to be a one liner.

It sounds like it could be quite a peice.

thanks for the suggestion.

Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Any more?

nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Look em deeply in the eyes. Tell them to do the same... 4 or 5 seconds of awkward silence... and then... music over the PA... "When the moon hits your eye... like a big..." LAUGHS. Personally guaranteed by me.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.