The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Science of Magic :: Chemistry show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I hope this is the right forum for this topic. I'm curious what it takes to put on a magic show that uses chemistry for all of the tricks. All of the tricks would be revealed to the audience in order to teach the audience the principles of chemistry.

Has anyone done this?
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
There is some great chemical magic on you tube. Once you explain it the magic is gone. My favourite is the clock reaction, which can be made to look very magical.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I saw the clock reaction when I was a kid. I still don't understand how it works, even though the chemist explained it to me.
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

It involves 3 reactions.
Peroxide reacts with iodide producing iodine, but this iodine immediately reacts with thiosulfate. When all the thiosulfate is used up, the iodine immediately reacts with starch, giving a blue-black color.
The amount of thiosulfate is the controlling factor. The color change can be timed to the second.

Richard
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Why doesn't the color-change reaction happen as soon as the chemicals are mixed? Why such a delay?
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

The generation of iodine is slow. The other reactions are fast. This reaction is used in college chemistry to demonstrate rates of reaction.

Richard
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
This was done for many years by John Bloor - a Chemistry Professor at University of Tennessee

He had to stop because of fire codes and insurance restrictions in many buildings today.

He can be contacted through the UT directory and might be able to help. Be prepared for a lot of stories ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1122 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
There was a professor at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo who made a video of his Chemistry Magic Show I believe.