The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Science of Magic :: Geeking Gallium Gaffs & Gimmicks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
perceptions
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of perceptions
Hey Guys and Gals:

Here's an interesting project using science & magic, posted on KickStarter:

GEEKING GALLIUM GAFFS & GIMMICKS

This unique book is about a special group of alloys (safe & non-toxic) that can be used to create numerous magical effects, from vanishing (or bending or penetrating) a spoon, to instantly shrinking dinnerware, to mentally melting coins in the hands of spectators -- even gambling cheats using gallium.

All of the listed effects are constructed in the psychology and techniques of Max Malini (the greatest impromptu magician of all time), designed for thoughtful magicians, playful pranksters and curious minded individuals. Each novel application is presented in easy-to-understand details and do-it-yourself projects.

The link is:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/6372......ical-eff
2thepoint
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of 2thepoint
Book review: 180 pages of pure uniqueness.
Good value: $20 on ebay with free shipping.
magikalex
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of magikalex
Hi 2thepoint, just checking, have you actually read this and have you put any of the ideas into practice?
I have been thinking of playing around with gallium for coin bends/melts and just came across this post and book.
Would love to hear your thoughts on the gaffs, ideas, presentations mentioned in the book and basically if it's worth it. Thanks!
2thepoint
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of 2thepoint
The book would be well worth 5X the asking price because it covers gallium, field's metal and other low melting point alloys such as galluim-indium-tin mixtures. The routines are very unique for any type of tricks and more so because they are the "first of their kind" for gallium type gimmicks.

Gallium "does what it does" so anyone familar with handling / controlling the metal will be successfull at utilizing it. It's amazing how much the author "geeked forth" the secrets of low-melting point metals (not just gallium)for magic performances.

The shear details and orginality of ideas within the book are "mind-expanding", especially within the context of Max Malini. The author placed the chapter on Malini in the middle of the book to symbolically explain that the performance methods of Malini are "the glue that holds the book together" -- how to setup gallium gimmicks and make it look impromptu.

I bought the materials for the HITCHED RING AND STRING, which can be done as a magical performance or a bar bet. The trick worked as outlined and I did recover my cost and then some in bets.

I'm currently working on the project for the SPOON BOY PREDICTION along with the BLAZE CRAZE DECK.

I'll post more details as I proceed with the other projects within the book.
perceptions
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of perceptions
Here's the description and listed contents of the book -- you can gather a lot of information about the extent & scope of the book:

Perfectbound, 180 pages, Glossy Covers.

This unique book is about a special group of alloys (safe & non-toxic) that can be used to create numerous magical effects, from vanishing (or bending or penetrating) a spoon, to mentally melting coins in the hands of spectators – even card peeks and locations using gallium.

All of the listed effects are constructed in the psychology and techniques of Max Malini (the greatest impromptu magician of all time), designed for thoughtful magicians, playful pranksters and curious minded individuals. Each novel application is presented in easy-to-understand details and do-it-yourself projects.

Contents

Introduction

Chapter 1: Gallant Gallium

Chapter 2: Gallium Generalities

Chapter 3: Gallium Gaffs / Gimmicks

Chapter 4: Geek Gallium / LMP Alloys

Chapter 5: Cool Headed Newton

Chapter 6: Get Gallium

Chapter 7: Spoon Specifics & Etiquette

Chapter 8: Malini’s Master Method

Chapter 9: The Classic Disappearing Spoon

Chapter 10: The Invisible Spoon

Chapter 11: The Penetrating Spoon

Chapter 12: The Penetrating & Restored Spoon

Chapter 13: Tuning into a Shrinking Spoon

Chapter 14: Spoon Boy Prediction

Chapter 15: Mental Melt Medallion

Chapter 16: Hitched Ring & String

Chapter 17: Coke Can Crush & Crumble

Chapter 18: Utility: Gambler’s Gallium

Chapter 19: Gallium Grid Marking

Chapter 20: Goofing with Gallium

Chapter 21: Ready-Made Molds

Chapter 22: DIY Molds

Chapter 23: Portable Temp Control Devices

Appendix A: Supporting Materials

Appendix B: MSDS

Direct link: http://www.mimesis-magic.com/mimesis_books.html
pcb52
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of pcb52
I made a gallium spoon. Looked good one problem, it's to hot here. Pocket full of dreams melted away.