The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Science of Magic :: Anyone try Sulfur Hexafluoride? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
laserheart
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of laserheart
Anyone know where to get this gas? It could provide some interesting effects...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb3ktPn1M....../search/
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Very interesting... have you tried it yet?
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
laserheart
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of laserheart
No, I am trying to locate it...
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
I recently tried to obtain this high dense gas. Plan on spending $1200. It is not sold in small quantities.
When inhaled, it serves the opposite effect of what helium does to a person's voice when inhaled.
dbuckalew
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of dbuckalew
MythBusters did a nearly step by step guide on their show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvie_0B-C24
laserheart
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of laserheart
Cool, thanks!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I think it is also toxic.

and as you may already know, even breathing non-toxic gases can make you pass-out (you're not getting oxygen)
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are not clever enough to use google, then you shouldn't be playing with this gas.

OTOH, it may contribute to the Darwinian phenomenon, i.e. survival of the fittest.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
The same precautions for helium apply to Sulphur Hexafloride. It isn't toxic itself, but it displaces oxygen in the blood, making you very lightheaded very quickly. More importantly, it displaces CO2, a build up of which is a cue for the inhalation reflex. If you pass out on your own, you could be in trouble.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Hi guys if you can get accuse to it good luck. A group of guys I put a science show together we used it the health and safety and risk assments were a nightmare. We got it a bit wrong once and my friend needed a lay down.

We floated a paper boat on it the the CO2 fog came in but the bottom of the tank was still see throw.

One thing I would like to say about chemicals is yes storage and use in restricted and covered by health and safety. But when you here some of the dangers people put there self in and others you see why. If want to use such substance get proper training as when things go wrong they go wrong badly and escalate quickie.

I don't mean to patronize I just don't want to lose any Café members.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
I am loving the effect of this gas.
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
I believe it could cause side effects, but due to the amount of people inhaling it on youtube I doubt the risks are that bad.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
Is it more toxic than L.A. smog?...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
MagiciennesUnlimited
View Profile
Regular user
of the phrase 'Bite Me'.
197 Posts

Profile of MagiciennesUnlimited
Quote:
On 2010-05-14 18:41, mindguru wrote:
I believe it could cause side effects, but due to the amount of people inhaling it on youtube I doubt the risks are that bad.

You can't be that daft...can you? Wow. The risks ARE that bad. Even helium can put you in the hospital for weeks. I've seen it happen. Please don't makes clueless, careless remarks that could lead others down a bad path. It's irresponsible, and unprofessional.

Who are you Mindguru? I've been going through your comments since you insulted the people over on the Carni page with your museum comment. From your posts, I can tell you are a rank amateur only pretending to be a professional, and people like you disturb me. ESPECIALLY when you don't provide links to your work.

SS
Sia Synn
www.siasynn.com

"Pain solves everything" -Russ Fox's T-Shirt
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
I am not telling anybody to use this gas. I am just stating that there are a lot of people posting videos using it and naturally I wonder if it's so bad why aren't these videos being taken down. I have nothing to gain from people using this gas so I have no reason to promote it. If it's as dangerous as you say then it should be avoided, but that won't stop some people.
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
By the way I never set out to insult anyone, If I offended anyone it was unintentional. I think you're looking for someone to argue with, good luck in finding someone.
MagiciennesUnlimited
View Profile
Regular user
of the phrase 'Bite Me'.
197 Posts

Profile of MagiciennesUnlimited
I have no interest in arguing, I was just 'putting you in your place'.
Sia Synn
www.siasynn.com

"Pain solves everything" -Russ Fox's T-Shirt
S.Belliveau
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of S.Belliveau
I have looked into it and it will take shipping of it from 300 miles away to my Chicago distributer (can not get it directly in Chcago with out special order). It is used for very specialized manufacturing. The only way I would ever consider using it is to have a oxygen canister and a control device that would give allow you to fill a balloon with 50% oxygen and 50% hex. Then breath in air from the balloon. Your voice will drop to a bass level and you will still be alive. What kills you is lack of oxygen.

I have also seen it fill an aquarium and float an aluminum boat. Very cool.
en2oh
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of en2oh
Quote:
On 2010-12-31 12:30, S.Belliveau wrote:
I have looked into it and it will take shipping of it from 300 miles away to my Chicago distributer (can not get it directly in Chcago with out special order). It is used for very specialized manufacturing. The only way I would ever consider using it is to have a oxygen canister and a control device that would give allow you to fill a balloon with 50% oxygen and 50% hex. Then breath in air from the balloon. Your voice will drop to a bass level and you will still be alive. What kills you is lack of oxygen.

I have also seen it fill an aquarium and float an aluminum boat. Very cool.

I know this thread is long over due but this statement might be a bit misleading as it suggests a safe method of using this gas.

Because of the density of this gas, even breathing with 100% oxygen will not clear the gas that accumulates in the bases of your airways. The only efficient way to rid the lungs of this gas is to invert so that the gas can cut ally flow out of the lungs. A 50:50 mix of gases with similar densities will prevent anoxia but these gases have widely different densities.

In the human body, this gas is essentially inert. It's danger, like helium, is as an asphyxiant.
Helium, like nitrogen is not "transported" in the blood by hemoglobin. It is simply dissolved as many gases do.
Hgb does bind with some other gases and compounds, like carbon monoxide and cyanide.

Please be careful drawing safety conclusions based on how many YouTube videos are out there.
As previously said, there is way too much room for Darwin Award winners left in this world.
I suspect anyone with a casual attitude toward mercury-based magic effects will be joining their ranks before too long.

Doug