The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Believe it or not... :: Jim Hand... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
To Pete Koloz....Yes, I'm in Ocala, will be in Gibtown after Jan.1....Call me if you want...Lee has my#
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Quote:
On 2011-11-28 09:04, thegreatnippulini wrote:

I'd like to get your opinions on my own banners I have painted.

TGN

Without sounding like a wiseguy...The Best opinion you can get on your Banners...Is Flying them, If they sell tickets,They are Winners, If they don't, Sell em on Ebay...Jim Hand painted the most profitable Banner I have currently...Yet a collector would most likely have No interest in it...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
I think you're wrong on that Jim. Who wouldn't want to have a BIG DICK banner hanging in the family room ?

BUT you're right...if the banner doesn't sell tickets there is no reason to drag them down the road.
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
[quote]On 2011-11-28 09:04, thegreatnippulini wrote: Unless Jim Hand is a teacherTGN
[/ quote]

As a matter of fact I AM A TEACHER....I have taught THOUSANDS of people if they don't read a banner VERY closely they might be disappointed.
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
I can also teach anyone how to go broke in 6 weeks OR LESS operating a circus. I've done it a couple times and consider myself an EXPERT at losing a lot of money in a short period of time.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2011-11-28 17:42, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
Quote:

TGN

Without sounding like a wiseguy...The Best opinion you can get on your Banners...Is Flying them, If they sell tickets,They are Winners, If they don't, Sell em on Ebay...Jim Hand painted the most profitable Banner I have currently...Yet a collector would most likely have No interest in it...

No, you're not sounding like a wiseguy... maybe another 2 syllable word that's not allowed here. Jim (Z), I majored in graphic design at BCCC, in addition to 4 years in high school on scholarship at Moore College of art. I painted banners for my shows, not primarily for sale. I displayed my own banner (Nippulini) at WOW, Philly Fringe Festival ('01-'06), Todd Robbins Sideshow Sturday Nights, pretty much every gig I worked. They are currently mounted and displayed in galleries in the Philly area. Painted with acrylic on internal framed canvas, they have a rich history and jive with the "rules" of banner painting. You never saw them, so how could you offer an opinion? You know, I don't really remember asking YOUR opinion, I was asking Jim Hand for his opinion as an artist to another artist. Jim (Z) not everything is meant for the midway, even if it has roots there. Some of the BEST performers I've seen never flew a banner, but have their own banner with their own likeness and display it on STAGE for all to see when the crowd pays $15 to $30 a head to come in. Be prepared for another telephone call. I'd like to hash this out before you start doing an old Wendy's commercial.

Jim (Hand), seeing that you ARE a teacher, I will relish in calling you "Mr. Hand"... but when you read my words, please try to hear the stoner surfer sound of Sean Penn's voice saying it ("Mr. Haaaahnd"). Smile
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
[quote]On 2011-11-29 07:55, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

TGN

No, you're not sounding like a wiseguy... maybe another 2 syllable word that's not allowed here. Jim (Z), I majored in graphic design at BCCC, in addition to 4 years in high school on scholarship at Moore College of art. I painted banners for my shows, not primarily for sale. I displayed my own banner (Nippulini) at WOW, Philly Fringe Festival ('01-'06), Todd Robbins Sideshow Sturday Nights, pretty much every gig I worked. They are currently mounted and displayed in galleries in the Philly area. Painted with acrylic on internal framed canvas, they have a rich history and jive with the "rules" of banner painting. You never saw them, so how could you offer an opinion? You know, I don't really remember asking YOUR opinion, I was asking Jim Hand for his opinion as an artist to another artist. Jim (Z) not everything is meant for the midway, even if it has roots there. Some of the BEST performers I've seen never flew a banner, but have their own banner with their own likeness and display it on STAGE for all to see when the crowd pays $15 to $30 a head to come in. Be prepared for another telephone call. I'd like to hash this out before you start doing an old Wendy's commercial.

Jim (Hand), seeing that you ARE a teacher, I will relish in calling you "Mr. Hand"... but when you read my words, please try to hear the stoner surfer sound of Sean Penn's voice saying it ("Mr. Haaaahnd"). Smile
[/]

Hmm,
Your talking about Art...
My Bad...

P.S. call anytime, I'll be happy to School/Lecture you on the Difference/purpose of a Sidesow Banner versus Sideshow Art/(Banner)...$700 for the Coney version...$65 for the Magic shop version...Visa/M.C. accepted...
Oh, Looky here...I have a coupon, Lucky you!, its Free!..
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
To THE GREAT NIPPULINI.... When said I was a teacher I was just having fun....at 69 I've learned one important thing ...I don't really know anything...Everyone on the planet has the same goal..Find something to eat and someone to sleep with....It all boils down to THAT.

Everyone here may call me JIM or if they prefer MR.HAND. Either is fine with me. I've have been called a lot worse both to my face and behind my back.

I will be happy to give you my opinion about your artwork BUT you should be prepared. I am totally honest and can be quite blunt, if I like something ,I say so And if I don't ,I say that too. There are many people in showbuiness who don't like me BECAUSE I told them my opinion of their work. But always to their face. If you don't want the truth don't ask for it
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
WAIT ! There's MORE ! Concerning variety/stage performers who do sideshow TYPE acts and shows at clubs and whatever YOU ARE NOT REALLY SIDESHOW PERFORMERS you are just entertainers doing a sideshow type act in a club. To be a PROFESSIONAL sideshow person you need to make your entire living from being in the sideshow business. The mere fact you get paid (overpaid) doesn't make you a professional. If you have a day job, it means you have a second job. It still doesn't make you a professional.

If anyone on this forum THINKS they know more about the sideshow business than JIM Z...How sad. I feel sorry for you. I really do.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
If you want to be THAT particular, according to original definitions, a Sideshow is a museum attached to a circus. The original sideshow was on a barge, towed behind a showboat. While the show was called a circus, it was more like what later became vaudeville. Carnivals didn't exist when sideshows were invented, so no carnival show is a sideshow. Also by that definition, a tented show isn't a sideshow.

The material was around before sideshows, and will be around after tents disappear from the face of the earth. I'm proud to be a VARIETY performer. As long as the check clears, I don't much care whether the venue is canvas or bricks (though I generally stay away from clubs). If some people call me "sideshow", I recognize it as a label that's convenient for them, because they lack other words.

It's so amusing how people develop specialized language for their little corners of the vocational world. Doctors do it...teachers, cooks, lawyers, ad men, psychologists...you name a job, they have specialized language. It just gives epidermal erythema to my gluteus maximus.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
You beat me to it Harley,,,just looked up where Sideshow originated over here and it was long before you got it over there hahaha.

I travel my own show March-December full time no other income,,,then grab whatever work I can get January - March....so what does that make me >>>> (Other than knackered !!!).

Ken.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
There have been variety shows and single-Os for a loooooong time. A great resource is "Theatre of Marvels" by Marian Hannah Winter. She's researching the roots of ballet, and it intertwines with sideshow and wire-walking for a few hundred years. The book has an incredible amount of reproduced bills, dating waaay back. The dialog isn't the best.

The first American sideshow I've found mention of, was put on by Dr. Gilbert Spaulding, in conjunction with one of his other innovations, the first showboat...early 1850s.

Occasionally people mention one in 1844. I've never heard a source.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
"Theatre of Marvels" deals mostly with material from England. There were flourishing shows in every major capital...Paris, Vienna, etc.

www.bladewalker.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I love you guys.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Quote:
On 2011-11-29 11:39, Harley Newman wrote:
It just gives epidermal erythema to my gluteus maximus.

Try a little Udder Balm.

Quote:
Without sounding like a wiseguy...

Suppose your playing Philly Park someday and your stakedriver is on the fritz.
Or you need a ride to the laundromat, or a hot shower...
Geez, quit 'ranguin' up the green help!
Kevin Gerrone
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gerrone
Nips why are you such a angry person?????????
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
WOW !!! I guess you guys didn't think I would speak my mind that quick. It has only been 4 days. Is that a record ?

In my comment about Jim Z., I was referring to his SKILL as a SHOWMAN in building a first-class midway attraction
in a very few years. He didn't have a rich momma or a lot of money. He did it the old fashioned way. HARD WORK.

I am very sorry if I offened anyone, BUT Nippulinni has a nippy attitude and I thought HE was being very RUDE to Jim Z.
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
Quote:
On 2011-11-29 12:04, Kondini wrote:
You beat me to it Harley,,,just looked up where Sideshow originated over here and it was long before you got it over there hahaha.

I travel my own show March-December full time no other income,,,then grab whatever work I can get January - March....so what does that make me >>>> (Other than knackered !!!).

Ken.

I think it makes you a HARD WORKING showman who is willing to do other work to get through the winter. There is no shame in that.Why spend the summer's winnings? I wish YOU conintued success.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Here's something happy:

I love drunken elephant!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jim Hand
View Profile