The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine :: Genii Magazines from 1936-1998 Online! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here already.

Over at the Genii Magazine website, you can now access the Genii Archive online. Every issue from September 1936 to September 1998 is online in PDF format!

There is a charge for accessing the archive:
Single Use (24 Hours): $10
Six-Month Use: $45
One-Year Use: $65
Unlimited Use (for the life of the database): $200

Each page is a separate PDF file, so you can't simply go online and download whole issues with one click, but at least you can save the individual PDFs to your hard drive. It's set up so you can both search or browse the archive, too!

I have a more detailed review of the Genii Archive over at Grey Matters.
Richard Hatch
View Profile
Regular user
Logan Utah
127 Posts

Profile of Richard Hatch
That is a great resource. You can also gain access to that file and many other magic periodicals (Mahatma, Sphinx, Jinx, Hugards, etc) by becoming a member of the Conjuring Arts Research Center. One of the privledges of membership is access to the http://www.askalexander.org database. Memberships begin at just $95/year and also include two issues of GIBECIERE, a fabulous journal of magic history edited by Stephen Minch. Check out http://www.conjuringarts.org for more detals.
Richard Hatch
www.HatchAcademy.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I just ordered the 6 months archive. The one day $10.00 usage has been eliminated.
Dennis Michael
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2006-12-09 00:06, Richard Hatch wrote:
That is a great resource. You can also gain access to that file and many other magic periodicals (Mahatma, Sphinx, Jinx, Hugards, etc) by becoming a member of the Conjuring Arts Research Center. One of the privledges of membership is access to the http://www.askalexander.org database. Memberships begin at just $95/year and also include two issues of GIBECIERE, a fabulous journal of magic history edited by Stephen Minch. Check out http://www.conjuringarts.org for more detals.

You can also access part of the Ask Alexander library for free! Done this way, you have access to full runs of the Jinx, Ellis Stanyon's Magic, Hugard's Magic Monthly, Conjurers Monthly Magazine, Seven Circles, and even a few older books! There are numerous magazines and books that you won't have access to without the full subscription, however.
Retchin
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Retchin
Thanks, Scott. I will definitely use the free version!
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Wow! Now I am definitely going to have to save up for the lifetime one here... this will prove to be (in my opinion) one of the greatest deals in magic Smile
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
You know, I have been going back and forth on the Genii thing. What stops me is 200.00 for the life of the database. It's NOT the cost that is an issue however.

There are TONS of great magic journals that one can outright OWN, and I am not just talking about the "old" ones like Mahatma and Stanyon's Magic.

I look at my shelf and I see:
Apocalypse, Richard's Almanac, The Pallbearer's Review, The Chronicles, Epilogue, The Magic Menu, The Phoenix and New Phoenix, The Jinx, The Tops, The New Tops, The Bat, Kabbala, Hierophant, Spellbinder, Chicanery, Pentagram, The New Pentagram, The Wizard, The Gen, The Magic Wand, The Sphinx, Swami/Mantra, The Compleat Invocation, Bascom Jones MAGICK, Pabular, Derek Lever's Magic Mag, Cardiste, Ibidem, Stanyon's Magic, SZYGY, Trapdoor, Hugard's Magic Monthly ...

In addition, PILES of Genii, Magic, The Linking Ring, and M-U-M.

I wish Mr. Kaufman would offer an option for 500.00 and release Genii as did Chris Wasshuber did for The Sphinx. There ARE times when I NEED to print complete issues and I have that freedom for the digital copies of the journals I own.

I love the fact that I can also pull out a volume of Apocalypse or Hugard's or The Jinx, etc., and NOT have to have my PC on. I DO understand Mr. Kaufman's logging of IP addresses to prevent people from attempting to download the whole run. BUT, what if I am visiting a friend? Since my IP is logged, I cannot, by the present terms, access what I paid for. If I move - which I am planning in a few months, I have to e-mail Genii Corporation and go through the hassle of letting them know my NEW IP.

Genii is a GREAT and important journal. But, the access to it as it stands is far too limiting for my purposes. So, I will continue to buy past issues as I come across them unless or until there is an option to buy this digitally. It could even be copy protected through a unique password that authenticates itself, and, will randomly ask the end user a challenge question in a manner that banks do for online banking.

Two hundred dollars is a great deal for the lifetime of the database access, but, the restrictions outweigh the benefits. So, I have TONS of magic to study anyhow so for me, as it is, it just isn't worth it.

A pity Chris Wasshuber or Todd Karr couldn't convince Mr. Kaufman to do this. However, it IS Mr. Kaufman's RIGHT to disseminate Genii as he sees fit just as it is Mr. Lorayne's right not to have Apocalypse done in an electronic format.

So, no flame to Mr. Kaufman. I am pleased that the archive IS available, and perhaps its presence will steer magicians to yet other great journals of equal importance.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
swifthand
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of swifthand
Is there any place you can buy backdated paper copies of the magazine? I'm guessing a first issue would be kind of expensive, but it's worth asking.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
You can purchased older copies of Genii directly from the Genii office. Just call 301-652-5800 or email genii@geniimagazine.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 21:06, swifthand wrote:
Is there any place you can buy backdated paper copies of the magazine? I'm guessing a first issue would be kind of expensive, but it's worth asking.

I spoke to Denny Haney recently and - no surprise here - he is a GREAT resource for these things. Give him a shout Smile

By the way, KUDOS to Richard Kaufman for making the Genii archive available to subscribers as part of the subscription price. Essentially we are getting the archive for free. I STILL wish however that the archive, at least the Larsen years - would be offered at 500.00 on DVD.

Best,
Vlad