The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians :: Dan Harlan- imagine if one night changed your life forever? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya Gang!

Anyone had the chance to pick up the latest issue (July)? I wrote a piece on Dan Harlan and would love to hear some thoughts!

~jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Well, since you asked.

You're a really good writer and, of course, a great creator. "Industrial Revelation" is one of my favorite effects.

That said, I have to say that I just didn't like the style of the piece, the mixture of third-person narration and, to convey Harlan's thoughts, indirect speech. I notice this seems to be something of a MAGIC style as I've seen it before, and I always find it frustrating. I'd rather the subject of the article be directly quoted for a sense of immediacy and authenticity. Failing that -- or even in addition to that -- I'd rather the writer's subjectivity be acknowledged.

To me, this style is the worst of both worlds. Your POV and critical perspective on Dan is obscured, and Dan's thoughts feel less authentic because they are conveyed through third-person narration that lacks the critical back-and-forth of a traditional interview format. Throughout the piece I found myself asking, "Well, how do you know that?" Was this based on an interview with Dan? Then why not acknowledge that? Did you talk to any other people about some of the events you wrote about?

Don't get me wrong -- I know this piece is feature editorial, not an investigative piece. But since I like Dan's work and have been enjoying him on the Penguin Live lectures, I was looking forward to reading it and just wished there was more of his own voice in it.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya bugjack,

That is awesome insight and I totally appreciate you taking the time to write it. Thank you!

I defintely take a different approach to writing than the norm. At heart I'm more of a "story" writer than an interviewer. That said, I think we had almost 10 hours of interview time so, everything he said, is directly from him. I can understand where you're coming from, though, if that's not what you're expecting, or like.

Regardless, thanks for your input!

Your pal,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Jamie, thanks for your reply. And, for context, I'm a writer and editor who does a lot of interviews, and I'm usually trying to foreground the subject's voice as opposed to using their info in more of a storytelling way. Different strokes. Hope you are well and thanks again for responding.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dan is always welcome back here at Magic Valley Ranch again. He made my weekend!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Well, I loved it! I've been interviewed many times, but this is the first time anyone has written something that I think conveys what it "feels" like to be me. I suppose I'm a little biased (a lot!) and there's no way I can subjectively separate myself from the narrative, but I enjoyed reading the story. There's an incredible amount of detail in there and I love Jamie's writing style. In any case, it was an honor to be featured in such a thoughtful way.
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com