The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Feminine Mystique :: Hands too small to palm cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Don't get after me for posting this here, but many women have small hands and may be looking for a solution to a "No-Palm" method for Signed Card to Card Box. Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki also has small narrow hands. He is only 16, but has been struggling with the problem of small hands since he was 14 and finally came up with a solution, besides waiting for his hands to grow larger. He wrote up his solution for The Wizards' Journal #21 and shows how to perform an Ambitious Card routine (as an example) ending with the spectator's signed chosen card inside the empty card box from which the deck was taken. No palming needed. The technique can be applied to other situations where a card needs to be palmed, so it's not just for the purpose he describes in his e-Book.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
But wait! If you call now...operators are standing by-you can get this for only $19.95
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
For you, it's $19.95. For everyone else, it's $5.00, same as always. Thanks for your usual thoughtful response.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Jay sankey has small hands, and frequently mentions the fact. He has great advice for palming cards, and shows how it's more about the misdirection and timing.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Been there, done that; the advice from Jay Sankey is good, but I work with young people who REALLY have small hands and who are afraid to try any effect which requires palming a card, even a bridge-size card. Rather than give up on accomplishing the effect he wanted, Qua-Fiki did away with the problem by developing his alternate solution- no palming required!
Professor Spellbinder

Megan
View Profile
New user
London
20 Posts

Profile of Megan
I have pretty small hands - and especially short little (pinkie) fingers. I do find it really tough - no matter what I do the cards always stick out from the edge. The short little finger can also be tough fingerpalming coins as in order to hold it I have to move my little finger so far across. I think it's mainly about practice though. I'm still very new to this. I've got away with palming with the card sticking out one side of my hand no problems, simply by watching my angles and concealing that side from the spectator. I hope though, with more practice, I'll be able to improve. Smile
MISS J
View Profile
New user
DALLAS, TEXAS
26 Posts

Profile of MISS J
I am practicing card production, but not so much at card palming.. I failed so many time that I am kinda scare now to perform in front of people.

I hate it when people saw the card and go "ohh I see what you are doing! your hands are too small" "ohh you trying to steal that card at the bottom" . I hate myself cause firstly, I ruin the trick. 2ndly, I look so lame. 3rdly, not only did I ruin the trick for myself, but also for other people who does the same pass as me.
You have to first believe in magic in order to move others' hearts -

Hi all magic lovers, feel free to pm me to chat Smile
JMcCandless
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of JMcCandless
I have trouble practicing tricks at home b/c of the palming of cards. Paperclipped is easy b/c it's already folded. I'll check out Wiz Kid b/c I really want to perform the ambitious card trick.
Bema
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Bema
Use bridge sized cards. Worked for Jerry Andrus.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Bridge sized cards don't work for everyone; everyone is not Jerry Andrus. Qua-Fiki's method doesn't involve palming anything at all, so it may very well work for everyone who can follow the simple instructions.
Professor Spellbinder

charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
Use a card fold if you want to perform card to wallet...

Or use great misdirection... Some spectator don't pay enough attention or does not have to knowledge or will to catch you out....

Don't tell the spectator what you going to do.. they wouldn't know what to expect...

If you cant palm card.. use tenK*I palm (use angle to your advantage)

In the end, it is much more magical to watch a card trick by a small hand magician than one with big hand...

For Woman, if you don't want people to look at your hand, don't colour your finger nail...and woman in general have a natural misdirection...
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)