The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Feminine Mystique :: Ladies, still in this day and age, excluded! (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
miss_vega_bond
View Profile
New user
London UK
34 Posts

Profile of miss_vega_bond
Hey All!
I'm Vega Smile

Never posted on the Café before, always browsed, but finally needed to come rant about something - I hope someone can help!
I spotted this advertised on magicweek, and was appauled to read who could apply:

http://www.mgcofficial.com/

It is reaching out to both amature and pro magicians, but specifically male.
I have emailed the poster, matt parro, several times to enquire about what must be a mistake, because I'm not sure why an amature male was preferable to a professional female? I'm not getting any replies, so what I wanted to ask was, is there something males have that we don't that automatically makes them better magicians, no matter what level they are at?

Thoughts appreciated... Smile

x VB
Kabanning
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kabanning
I don't think this if fair in this day and age. However, the information on his website and the information on his Facebook contradicts itself. On his Facebook, no gender is actually specified. Instead, it states: "looking for young and enthusiastic modern magicians between the ages of 16-30." If you really wanted to be involved with his club (and to test to see if this exclusion really is true), I would suggest joining the Facebook group and see what happens.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Judging by the grammar I'd say this is a fairly young person (like 17) trying to get something going. It sounds more like a "business" than a club.

The core group they already have may be trying so hard to be "hip" (I'm not young) that their humor may be crude. Perhaps they can't picture a woman being a part of this. Their "unique" approach sounds sexist. I mean someone actually typed the word male into the copy.

Since they don't care if the applicants are amateur or Pro. it sounds like they are trying to scrape up a stable of cheap acts to send out while keeping a percentage for themselves.

While I haven't worked with an agency very often, when I do I prefer it to be one with some standard of quality for all the acts they deal with. If you're paying a percentage to an agency you should be paying them for their experience and ability to get high fees for good work. These scrape together agencies often just want someone to pass off the low paying unpleasant work to for a cut while keeping the best shows for themselves.

I have no proof, I'm just saying what it looks like. But I have seen this before.

- Mary Mowder
miss_vega_bond
View Profile
New user
London UK
34 Posts

Mary,

Thanks so much for your insightful reply. It does seem that this is the case - I think I will leave it :-S
In my lack of experience with many agents (I've had just the one for the past two years) I was intruiged with the fancy promise of lots of glamourous work!

I'm a little on my high horse, because I just hate any kind of prejudice, and its a SUPER discriminative ad, but it really does seem that what he means by 'young and enthusiastic' he rather means 'naive and inexperienced'.

Kabanning - I too think it's unfair - I'm going to contact magicweek to ask them to remove the link, I don't think it's right that they endorse such a sexist ad.
I think individuals should be judged on skill rather than gender, while I am very much humbled at the skill of many magicians that I am blessed to know of either sex, I really wanted to go in there, guns blazing with some nice moves just to be a good feminist Smile
I still might pull a joan d'arc and go in disguise - wonder if I could finish a close up audition with a full costume change! hehheh >:-)

Thanks very much for replying ladies xx

V
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Hmm...

Some thoughts come to mind apropos of *another* ad we saw awhile back that was looking very specifically for unattached females... but I think I'll just keep them to myself...

Whatever is going on here, I think it is probably lacking enough in class that you wouldn't want to be involved anyway.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The truth is that I don't know the details here. However, having experience as a professional magician in both trade shows and runway modeling shows, there are times when gender certainly is a factor. The product or event can determine that.

Generally, I do agree, gender is seldom a factor. I am also married to female magician with her own show. (Lucy here on The Magic Café.)

There are even occasions when the performer must be female. (Look at sponsors for cosmetic trade shows, etc.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Fair enough, Bob. And sure, I can see where there are times and places where gender can matter in any profession. For instance, my friend Vicki often gets asked to speak at functions for organizations devoted to female execs and entrepreneurs, and I never do Smile

This one though just smells strange, *shrug* Your nose may vary.

Quote:
Thanks very much for replying ladies xx

Bit of reverse bias there? *nudge nudge* Smile
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I think Mary’s analysis is spot on, probably a young inexperienced person (male) that did not think it through. I’m not totally surprised. Discrimination still exists in the world, but why worry about this insignificant organization when there are many magic clubs that welcome women with open arms?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
dennper
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of dennper
And the fact that they don't want anyone over 30 maybe should be read as "or anyone we have to pay very much or that knows more than us" . . . you're not missing out on anything by staying away from them Miss Vega Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I gotta tell ya...I've often wondered why we don't have more females performing the classic magic acts we all are so familiar with. Some of the most breathtakingly beautiful performances I've ever seen are female magicians. I have one favorite I can't stop thinking about. She is Galina from the Ukraine. Here's just one act of hers (The Floating Ball):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmORbVSR6U

another couple of clips (linking Rings):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGdTpHJLNXo&feature=related

and,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACLgzTvB7rk&feature=related

Sorry...I have been SLAYED by her. I'm now a useless blubbering slob compared to her performances. My magic is like a kid playing with toys compared to this.

Ladies, PLEASE do magic! I know there are more Galinas out there. Randi Rain, Miss Vega Bond, Mary Mowder...you're all beautiful! I wish I could see you all perform!

Bashfully,

Doug
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
That was more then just a floating ball, but it was absolutely magical Smile

And god love her if that her real hair. My wife had hair half that long when we met and it was a real chore to keep in good shape...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yeah, Cyberqat...(sigh). When I first saw her, I wondered, "Why are there not more female magicians?" I'm 54, never been married, and just LOVE to watch a talented woman dance, act, sing, and just within a few years discovered female magicians DO exist! The first one I ever saw was Melinda. I taped that show and watched it over and over.

My last couple of girlfriends HATED magic, and did not encourage me in the least.

Then I discovered YouTube. For all its faults (exposure, bad quality video, and such), I found that Goddess, GALINA. It's heartbreaking she's in the Ukraine. I'll probably never see her "live". She took that levitation to a WHOLE 'nuther LEVEL!

Now I understand there are a LOT of beautiful women (sorry to sound like a cad) who do magic! Where ARE they? And how can I get to SEE them (without going to YouTube)? Oh, well. Here's hopin'!

Doug
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Hmm. Finding magic acts in this country tends to be tough. Vegas is your best bet though, although I know of some couples who have had acts there, I can't think of any just female magician acts.

Part of the issue in Vegas of course is that its traditionally fairly sexist and male-oriented. (They do have male nude reviews, I noticed, last time I was there, but if I had to guess I'd say the bulk of the audience for those were gay males, just like its always been for "Playgirl" magazine. I could be wrong, though.)
I'm sure a stripper who did some magic could get a gig, but I don't know if a real female magician who kept her clothes on could or not....

Posted: Aug 2, 2010 09:57 am
P.S. Oh and I agree, there is something VERY sexy about a pretty female magician with her clothes on Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Miss Vega,

I apologize for hijacking your thread...I hope you don't think I'm a pig.

Your question, "...reaching out to both amateur and pro magicians, but specifically male...I'm not sure why an amateur male was preferable to a professional female? is there something males have that we don't, that automatically makes them better magicians, no matter what level they are at?"

I cannot imagine that. Amateur OR professional, if a female has an act that is exciting, magical and entertaining, there is NO reason on God's green EARTH, why she wouldn't get a gig.

I kid around a lot, but in all seriousness I still think women are unfairly treated. It's sad. Especially beautiful women. Guys can be absolute PIGS. No doubt about it. I'm constantly embarrassed, by friends who "hit" on girls they don't even know, making a complete ASS of themselves.

I get the "cold shoulder" from women a LOT, and can't really blame them. If I was a really good looking guy, I might think differently, but alas, my looks would make a TRAIN take a dirt road! LOL!

Yes, Cyberqat, I agree with you! There is nothing sexier! I don't particularly care for nudity. That's just me, though. That's a real private INTIMATE thing, in my opinion. Your mileage may vary...

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I think Miss Vega has left the building...(echo)
miss_vega_bond
View Profile
New user
London UK
34 Posts

Sorry, I'm here!
I don't think you hijacked my thread Smile
Have to agree, think Galina is very talented, just checked her out.
xx VB
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Miss Vega, may I ask, if you have a clip of one of your performances? I'd love to see your magic.

Doug
miss_vega_bond
View Profile
New user
London UK
34 Posts

Hey Doug,
Feel free to check me out performing with my stage partner Sam Beedle on youtube, just search Sam Beedle and Vega,
but that is very very very old from a couple of years ago. Since then we have had a total image change and now perform quirky routines in a twisted circus, almost tim Burton style, and we will be shooting some better quality stuff in the next couple of weeks, would you like me to keep you posted?

xx VB
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yes, I would Vega! I just watched every one of those videos. My gosh...this should be on National TV!

I don't know what to say. I now have a new favorite female magician! Galina is HISTORY with me. I think YOU are absolutely beautiful. I had to watch Dark Fire again. Sam is a great magician, but I couldn't keep my eyes off of YOU! You are a great distraction, LOL (you also have GORGEOUS legs ~blush~)!

I saw you do the color changing silk, and you made me laugh. You also have great skill with cards, and the appearing flowers in the Oriental act was superb! I just wish it was better resolution, as YouTube tends to be blurred a bit. And NOW I know where the "Razorblade Kiss" came from. Fantastic!

Wow. I have been SLAYED once again. I am just sitting here, like I'm on Demerol, or something...don't get me wrong, this is not my normal reaction. It takes a LOT to even get my attention. You have my RAPT attention, Miss Vega Bond. Yikes, I'm blubbering like a fool, again. Forgive me. Do you ever perform in the United States? I cannot imagine you and Sam having ANY trouble getting a gig.

I'd better stop here, before I make a further fool of myself. Please DO keep me posted!

XX OO
Doug
miss_vega_bond
View Profile
New user
London UK
34 Posts

Gosh we would love to go to the states, but have no idea where/how to start!
Thanks Doug for the mighty praise - I'm more than a little bit flattered.
Can I see your work, too?

Ohhh... BTW, the razorblade swallowing is a little different now... I do it by myself to a poem that ends with that phrase!

I absolutely PROMISE to keep you posted xx

xx Vega