The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Feminine Mystique :: Zombie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicodine
View Profile
Loyal user
italy
202 Posts

Profile of magicodine
Hello ladies,
I'd like to buy a zombie ball and I was wondering which one you use because I don't want to end up with a gimmick that's too big for ladies' fingers.
gaia
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
You can adjust the gimmick with a set of pliers to fit your finger. If I remember correctly, the instructions I got with mine ***** years ago told me how. If not, the zombie books out there probably do.
Coram Deo
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
If you ask Morrissey, they will make you a custom length gimmick when you buy a ball from them.

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
magicodine
View Profile
Loyal user
italy
202 Posts

Profile of magicodine
Thank you guys
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
There is also a set of DVD's called Zombie Re-animated where they teach you how to make your own gimmicks and TONS of moves.
Official Thread Killer
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Consider taking a look at Jeb Sherrill's Zombie Re-animated DVD set. I will highly recommend that set for anyone serious with the zombie effect.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Fortunately, I married a model and ballet dancer. She loves the Zombie.

Consequently, Lucy must have at least a dozen completely different versions of it. Customized gimmicks are not hard to come by. Think in terms of welding rods and black tennis shoe laces!

No matter what gimmick you have, you will probably benefit from making it the right length for your arm. It's not a big deal. Most are too long anyway.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Really, after seeing it performed countless times by BOTH genders, I really think the Zombie is suited for the lady. A woman with style and grace performing the Zombie is just MESMERIZING! Melinda does a wonderful performance, just a minute and a half long:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0N0OGjQAhI&NR=1&feature=fvwp

I realize this thread is more than a year old, but ladies, this really needs your attention.

Doug
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
*I* do the Zombie with style and grace, Doug Smile

And I'm not even gay. Though I have always loved to dance.

If someone can tell me how to adjust a standard zombie gimmick I'd love to hear it because I have relatively thin fingers. I've tried pliers and all I've succeeded in doing is damaging the cloth cover. The gauges of the wire seems much too thick to bend that way.

For this reason, I prefer a "coat hanger" style gimmick and make my own. (All you need is a coat hanger, a broom handle to wrap the end around, and some pliers.)

Obviously a coat hanger isn't strong enough for a metal ball. I used to use a styrofoam miracle ball. I currently use a FAB magic plastic ball that looks like a metal one and I built a coat hanger adapter out of a rubber stopper.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-08-07 22:35, Cyberqat wrote:
*I* do the Zombie with style and grace, Doug Smile And I'm not even gay. Though I have always loved to dance.

ROFLMAO!!! Good one! Ha!

Quote:
If someone can tell me how to adjust a standard zombie gimmick Id love to hear it because I have relatively thin fingers...For this reason, I prefer a "coat hanger" style gimmick and make my own. (All you need is a coat hanger, a broom handle to wrap the end around, and some pliers.) Obviously a coat hanger isn't strong enough for a metal ball...

That's all you have to do! A coat hanger works great. I used to have a Morrissey Zombie (two halves), and had to make my own gimmick, for the same reason you did. Of course, if your ball is heavier, I see your point. The Morrissey Ball is really light. At least the 4" one is. I've never tried the 5" one, or any other brand.

Doug

Posted: Aug 10, 2010 4:09pm
Viking Magic has a very light one here:

http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=1274

$39.00 is not bad for this kind of quality. They also have a cloth in several colors, if you need one. Beautiful blue/star pattern. 26" x 26"...or solid dark blue, or solid black. See the star pattern here:

http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=993

Gee, ladies...I sure hope this helps...I won't post any more on this.

Doug
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I totally agree, right now this is the best on the market, the ball is imported from Italy, and made correctly (the one's from Canada are NOT). I highly recommend it.

I would replace the gimmick with a Sommers style though.

There is a fairly extensive section on the Floating Ball in my brand new book.

Magically,
Walt
miss_vega_bond
View Profile
New user
London UK
34 Posts

Profile of miss_vega_bond
Why has no one mentioned losander? Not only are his products outstanding, but his DVD's are full of so many basic principles of the art of levitation that they alone are worth a good look.

xx VB
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

The DVD is available, but alas Losander no longer sells the ball or props.

There is a wealth of information out there now, and no excuse for doing a bad performance of this.

Trust me, the devil of a time is finding a quality ball that is built to the correct specs today!

Magically,
Walt
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Sadly, the Viking site lists the Viking ball as out of stock.

I hope they haven stopped making it.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Arguhhh! Call George and ask him, I think they were imported from Italy by him. Walt
lozey
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
381 Posts

Profile of lozey
I bought the zombie ball that has blue lights in it. It is tremendously heavy (especially top-heavy) and practically impossible to use without it falling off the gimmick. Avoid!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thank you Lozey! I wondered about that! You perform the regular Zombie, I presume? It's not an easy one to master. And, you are 100% correct, Vega. Losander IS the DVD to buy. I think that may be my next DVD purchase. Thank you Vega, for posting that.

Walt, you are right. There IS no excuse for bad performance of ANY levitation effect, let alone the Zombie. I am not an expert at levitations, by any means, but I am VERY familiar with the best of them. Not bragging, but I was on a team that set up and "tech"ed Copperfield's "Flying" system, years ago. Now there was a learning experience! Kudos go to John Gaughan, as well. Peter Foy was instrumental in the original system in 1957, and Gaughan took it light years beyond!

Astrosphere, Zombie, Don Wayne's Floating Ball, and other similar systems are not effects to take lightly (no pun intended). Serious consideration, and thought needs to be done, before any live performance of these effects. And, may I add, one needs to look seriously into Losander's DVD, and Walt's "Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic" Book, before taking on any Floating Ball effect.

I have over 20 years of experience with this, and other levitations. I have studied this exclusively, and failed many times. Once, on stage, in the late 70's! I will regret that incident for the rest of my life...

If I were to buy a Zombie today, I would look into the Viking Ball. I realize the RnT2 Ball, is superior quality. I just don't have that kind of cash to invest. I would rather buy the Losander DVD, Walt's book and the Viking Ball, for the money vs value.

Just my $.02
Doug
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Thanks much Dougini!

I've not handled the new R&TII Ball yet, I don't know the weight or design, but IF it is made correctly and very light, then in this current market where quality is lacking it's worth almost any price!

I also need to jump in and say if you are truly serious about Zombie, a must have is Jeb Sherill's Zombie Reanimated DVD set, it does NOT give a pat routine (thank god) but it is encyclopedic in nature and covers a ton of props and technique, I agree with 98% of what he has to say.

My (very slow) work on my Okito ball is teaching me a lot by trial and much error, I've now developed a 21st Century verion of the ball he might use today, and it's only 2 ounces as his was, now to the rigging!

Magically,
Walt
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
My pleasure, Walt!

As to rigging, without going too far on this forum, you know that smoothness is essential, and I have experimented with ball bearing systems, silicone, multiple "systems" and other methods, which have been trial and error. When my house was foreclosed upon, I was actually working on one idea, but was given 24 hours to vacate, and lost everything!

I think I'll just buy your book, instead of starting over. LOL! Smile
SillySymphony
View Profile
New user
Finland
5 Posts

Profile of SillySymphony
I watched the Vol. 1 DVD of the Zombie re-animated series yesterday and was very pleased with what I got. Jeb's presentation was clear and easy to understand even for a beginner like myself. I especially liked the part where he told how to modify the gimmick and during the rest of the presentation always mentioned what to remember if using other kind of gimmicks. I haven't had the chance to test many of the moves yet, but this DVD has certainly given me inspiration and motivation to learn!

EDIT: Whops! Replied to wrong topic... well, at least this is zombie related Smile