The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Feminine Mystique :: Princess Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
Growing up with a magician I had trouble finding my niche as a female performer. I didn't have a loud, brawly style. This has suited me for years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrACV92-2rs

Looking forward to your comments.

Alexa
MrsMonkey
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of MrsMonkey
I found this to be quite entertaining. There was plenty of comedy that an adult could enjoy while not having to be concerned for their children. It's different from anything I've ever seen which is good because it stands out.
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
I kept getting a "...no longer available" message
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Not bad.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Outstanding premise. Oh, I could say that it needs more rehearsal, working on timing. There's always a difference after something's been worked for 25 years (I'd LOVE to see how fantastic this looks in another ten or twenty years!) but the premise and the charm carries this a long way. My granddaughters would love this! Keep working!

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Finally got the link to work. It was quite an entertaining piece.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Alexa!

I think you have great potential and you did a good job. You have a beautiful smile which makes you appear endearing to audiences of all ages.

Here's my constructive thoughts..you do need to work on your timing to appear more natural as at times it seemed a bit stilted. One example of the timing was you actually closed the box before the ACME voice told you to do so. In . Similar to the vanishing banana/bandana routine which has always been a favorite of mine. Aldo Columbini performs this to perfection and makes the audience believe the element of surprise at the events. You just need to work on your "element of surprise and comedic timing a bit more.

I absolutely LOVED your routine as this fits your persona perfectly so Great Job in finding something that really suits your show. Kinda like one of the American Idol performers finding that perfect song..that routine suited you so that was an outstanding choice!

You were entertaining and I can see kids loving you and also bring joy to the parents watching. I do have to critique on the following: you seem to show a series of "tricks" rather than effects that would flow more naturally together as if they all belong to the same theme. My opinion is to have a smoother flow of effects that you use in your show but that will come with time and experience. I also understand that the prince/frog routine doesn't use patter but facial expression.
For the other routines: Don't be afraid to engage the audience with patter (you may already do this but it didn't show this in your vid).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>This part is written by a fellow magician who watched the vid with me.
His comments: It seemed that some fumbling was used to get the doll out which was a tad distracting to the routine. However good routine overall - just needs work on the timing and smoother flow.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We both think you have a bright future in magic, had a good stage presence and know you have a bright future in the field. That smile will brighten any room. Best wishes to you!

Cheers !

Chrystal
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
Thank you very much Chrystal for your compliments and criticism. Both are much appreciated. I have gotten some really great ideas on how to better the Instant Prince routine (which because of its stage element I really haven't done all that often, and I see it is a little rough) and your ideas are also really helpful.

I DO primarily use patter in my show, and I agree that I perhaps didn't choose the best parts of my show to highlight. I felt that they were too "small" for the camera, but I see now that I played too much for the camera rather than filming what I do live. My actual show is definitely highly themed, audience driven, patter driven, etc etc. I was trying some new things and unfortunately didn't get that across.Totally valid criticism and totally my error. I have experience, and I should have known better. That said, there are ALWAYS things to work on! I hope I never think of my act as completely done with NO room for change!

Also, thank you to everyone above for your compliments. Much appreciated as I continue to improve this act (and promotional video!)

Alexa (Princess Lexiloo)
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
We princesses have to stick together! After all, not everyone can wear a tiara! (smile)

I also appreciate your nice comments and admire your bravery for putting it out there for us to comment or critique. I always liked showcasing new routines in my magic meetings so that I could get feedback as to what I needed to work on. Always looking to improve and like yourself, continue to learn even after years in the biz.
You know your character Princess Lexiloo better than anyone and know what works for her persona and you've accomplished that and now only need to tweak some bits
You have a good attitude and that goes a long way. Again best wishes to you!

Chrystal
Skeleton
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
318 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
I loved the part with the frog - the first time I saw one in a magic act Smile
To infinity, and beyond!
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2009-04-16 02:36, Chrystal wrote:
not everyone can wear a tiara!

Mine covers my bald spot.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
LOL Grandpa Chet! Same reason I started wearing a tiara!

Chrystal
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
Hey! It's true. Chrystal, where do you get yours? I buy mine wholesale....when you wear them consistently the $200 prom princess ones break. I've got a whole section in my closet (and balloon box and magic table and garment bag) with back-up scepters and tiaras.

Now, if only I had a superman closet with duplicates of the custom made dress!

Alexa
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Alexa,
Hard to tell from the pic but the tiara is attached to a velvet cap that matches the dress. When I first started performing magic I was offered a job in a magic shop. The magician who ran the shop also had a costume business on the side and once yearly (Halloween) he would also have a rental business. Eventually he decided to sell the shop and offered me the choice to purchase it along with the costumes. The princess outfit was always my favorite so while I didn't buy the shop or the rest of the costumes I did ask if I could buy that one outfit. Yup! Would be nice if we could have duplicates of the same dress! In my case all the costumes were one of a kind so no duplicates in the bunch, which was a good thing I quess. At least no other people have the same dress in their shops.LOL

Too bad we couldn't wave our wands and make a few appear in our closets!

Chrystal
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
More confidence in what you are doing... however, that will come with more performances and being comfortable on stage.
Official Thread Killer
arniemagic1
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of arniemagic1
Hi ladies
Ebay has some great princess and Cinderella dresses for as little as $50-100, do a search. My assistant just got a gorgeous dress and I couldn't believe how cheap it was but how good the quality was.
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
882 Posts

Profile of e-man
Very nice
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Alexa:

The curtained backdrop is excellent for your "character", I hope you own it.

I like your facial expressions, and personality. Very nice.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I think the outfit is a good idea. I never seen anyone perform with an outfit like that before.