The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Feminine Mystique :: Celebracadabra and Rocco (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Women shouldn't do magic. Women have their place in magic....as the assistants.

Okay, maybe not direct quotes, but that was the idea he got across in the Celebracadabra episode that aired 5/18. Which was funny because he was switched around as a coach and had one of the female contestants as his student. He did seem to get frustrated when she didn't immediately know how to do something after showing it to her. He must have gotten over his attitude some, because I thought Lisa Ann did a good job. Although, I'm wondering if his attitude had something to do with her performance outfit. I would not have chosen something like that to wear to perform for a bunch of senior citizens...just like I didn't wear my party dress when I performed my escapes on the scissor lift at the trade show.

Near the end of the episode, he did say that he had changed his mind about women in magic after watching Lisa perform, but part of me is wondering if the change of heart is sincere.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
I actually think the original sentiment was not sincere. I feel certain it was one of those "fabricated conflicts" the producers created to add interest to the show and Rocco was game for playing along. It was a little too goofy and over the top sexist to be real.

I'm sure there are people that feel that way, but I doubt that even if Rocco was one of them he would have said it so blatantly with the cameras running. Then him changing his mind like that after the performance - a little too perfect of a story arc to be real, I think. Just an opinion though.
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
I couldn't beleive he said what he did on national television.

-matt
Casey Magic
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
177 Posts

Profile of Casey Magic
I was actually coming to post this very topic in here! But, you beat me to it. I've read several places of magicians having the same opinion on women in magic and I was wondering the feeling of female magicians, in reference to this quote, as well as, the stereotype in general?
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Quote:
I've read several places of magicians having the same opinion on women in magic

I have heard the same Casey, but I must admit that my daughter (14) has been extremely fortunate that the magicians we know have been very supportive of her. She takes her magic very seriously, practices diligently, and always tries to show that they have not misplaced their faith in her.

Although we have not run into that situation, I would be extremely bothered by someone telling my daughter she can't accomplish something just because she is female.
Casey Magic
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
177 Posts

Profile of Casey Magic
Completely agree, as I too, have a daughter. I haven't quite been able to put my finger on one specific thing that seperates the sexes in magic...be it socialization, aptitude, obsession...just not really sure, but, one thing I know, whatever 'it' is...it's an intangible.
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of cbmar
Quote:
On 2008-05-19 15:24, mattmccoy wrote:
I couldn't beleive he said what he did on national television.

-matt

For those who missed it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZlIuzUYkZY
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2008-05-19 15:58, Casey Magic wrote:
I've read several places of magicians having the same opinion on women in magic and I was wondering the feeling of female magicians, in reference to this quote, as well as, the stereotype in general?

I handle it the same way I handled the guys at the jobsite who had difficulty understanding that the woman on the jobsite was the boss-lady.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Ok, My take on it is he has this persona of a new jersey wannabe wiseguy magician. What would Tony Soprano be like if he became a magician. Personally I don't know anyone that is intelligent that would be saying those things if he truly believed them anyway.

Fabricated ya... but it's because he's a wiseguy, fuggedaboudit...women in magic? nah... keep em home makin' babies....

Gimmeabreak, he wasn't believable before.

As to the performance outfit, I sincerely tink' he got some vibe goin' with Lisa Ann. He really tink's she cute.

Then again, I tink' he's cute so maybe I'm biased.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
It may be fabricated for television but the sentiment is definitely real. This is just the same old **** I’ve been hearing for years. All we can do is keep moving forward slowly but surely and hope apes like this get a little less ignorant with each generation.

Holly
The devil can advocate for himself.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
So, he was not so d'iteful.

In fact he was spiteful.

A fool to anger the original conjurers

Just because they happen to be considered nuturers

And thus he will end up pitiful.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
I was watching the episode with my 12 yr old daughter who is pretty active in the SYM and loves doing tricks. She really didn't like the comments and neither did I.
GamingNinja
View Profile
New user
Hayward, CA
35 Posts

Profile of GamingNinja
I was not amused either. Hubby and I both started yelling at the TV.

My line of work is dominated by men for the most part, and so is my hobby. All I can do is keep practicing and WOW them, and do my job at work the best I can. Can't change ignorance, but you can't be a victim either.
I've been helping out the younger females online as well that are trying to get over the gender wall in magic.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
We ran across a brief interview with Rocco while surfing and watching tonight's show. I'd like to read the complete transcript. I assume it was an email conversation and edited, but have no info to confirm this. Thoughts?
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Well, what made it into the show was that first he was paired up with Lisa Ann and he was Kind of Upset. He came out and said.." Women should not be doing magic, because as far as I am concerned they could already perform the most amazing magic, by having babies." " Women have only one place in magic, as assistants."

But then within 2 weeks there is a real reversal. He tells Lisa Ann that he enjoyed her performance immensely, and that he was wrong about women in magic.

He also tells Kim Wyatt the same thing.

So he made a few ignorant remarks, I fail to see what the big deal is. Either this was scripted or exxagerated for the show... or it was real.

if scripted or exxagerated, why the fuss? if it's real...then He really believes that he was wrong about women in Magic. And if he just said THAT for the show... what's the fuss? Go out there and WoW them the way that Juliana Chen Autumn Morningstar, and Luna Shimada do.

I do not see why Rocco's Opinion should be getting so much play. Do your magic, and let it go. As my daughter would say.." keep talking about him, with his name always on your lips you're making him famous."
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Isn't that what most guys think? (sorta' kidding...)
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Moonmagick
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
30 Posts

Profile of Moonmagick
Rocco and I have been friends for years. His opinion of women in magic on this show was totally scripted because I have never received anything but great support from Rocco and he was and is one of the few magician's in this business that has always treated me with respect and like an equal. In fact many years ago when we did a show at the Castle together, he even stepped out of the show to watch me from the audience and support me, that's just how cool he is! So rest assured ladies, it is all just for the camera.
Luna Shimada
Live on the edge of your dreams, balance on a thread, fall into the void, get out of your head.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2008-06-01 13:10, Moonmagick wrote:
Rocco and I have been friends for years. His opinion of women in magic on this show was totally scripted because I have never received anything but great support from Rocco and he was and is one of the few magician's in this business that has always treated me with respect and like an equal. In fact many years ago when we did a show at the Castle together, he even stepped out of the show to watch me from the audience and support me, that's just how cool he is! So rest assured ladies, it is all just for the camera.
Luna Shimada

While it still irked me that he made those comments, it is a bit reassuring that it was all for the camera.

Margarette
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
As soon as I read about this in MAGIC, I assumed it must have been a fabricated comment. I don't get to see the show over here, but knowing who is coaching, I think he is probably the only one who could have pulled that off. People would bite the bait if it came from him...and it seems many did. No esteemed magician who truly holds that opinion would so simply change it based on the performance of an extremely-amateur non-magician. While I've only spoken with him briefly, he was quite encouraging...

Still, I wish he wouldn't have gone along with it, but unfortunately reality tv needs drama to get an audience...
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Yes, I think his " persona" was what sold the idea that he really believed it..the whole " eh..Paisan... go into the kitchen... bake some bread, an make babies... women and magic?? fuggedaboudit"

What is sad also is... How many could listen to what he said, and actually beliieve that he was serious. I don't know the guy, and I knew he was just hammin' it up. Then again,... I have been thinking of going the Mentalism route... This may have just been...Intuition Smile