The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Feminine Mystique :: Who's your favorite female magician? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I think female magicians interact with each other as well. It's when a male comes around that the defenses go up. Maybe that's wrong, but it's hardly unexpected.

I remember a survey in Genii w-a-y back in the day where they asked; "Why aren't there more female magicians?" Some of the answers were wowsers!

Women won't put in the time to practice.
Women aren't as graceful as men. (I'm serious that was one of the answers)
Women can't do the heavy lifting necessary for large illusion shows. (And how much does David Copperfield or Lance Burton actually carry?)

I didn't get a chance to put in my two cents (the survey was closed by the time I heard about it.) But it would have been this; Women are not taught to play with toys. Men are. (Think about it, most male toys are about empowerment; pretending you're an explorer, cowboy, adventurer, etc. Most female toys are about running a household, raising a baby or shopping.)

It's amazing we have the level of female talent we do today!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Kaarlo von Freymann
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
203 Posts

Profile of Kaarlo von Freymann
Quote:....I love Tina Lenert doing her bit as the cleaning lady. It has always been my favorite....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISlHm1TN7A
Beth

I saw her twice here in Helsinki doing that bit, the first time I was fooled, the second time I just could not wait. What an EXTRA-ordinary out of the the route performance. What grace, what music! Only a woman could do a show like that.
Forget about political correctness. There are differences! And we know it. I can hear immediately on the radio whether the voice is a black singer's, and I sure prefer that to anything else.
Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland
Kaarlo von Freymann - Helsinki- Finland
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
You can't say that here in America, that would be considered a racist statement.

Jim
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2008-02-29 17:23, jimhlou wrote:
You can't say that here in America, that would be considered a racist statement.

Jim

You can say anything in America. It may not be popular, but you still have the right to say it.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I love Malinda, I've seen her show three times.
Sherri Louis is the only child magician that was actually entertaining.
Princess Tenko is a national treasure.
Kate Medvedeva rules.
Growing up, Fran Ireland help was just a (long distance) phone call away.
Pat Collines wasn't strictly a magician, but she was the absolute best stage hypotist around.
Jerrie Larson WAS The Magic Lady.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
QwEen_oV_mAgic
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
6 Posts

Profile of QwEen_oV_mAgic
I have not seen many female magicians but when I was little I meet and saw a female magician 'rachel wild' she was like my inspration to do amgic as a female. Sadly I lost contact with her and was wondering if anyone might have a email or website that I could contact her through?
thanx Smile
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I tend to favor female illusionists. (Call me corny- I like the razzle dazzle Vegas style.) Melinda is one of my all time favs.

I am currently falling for Sophie Edelstein . She performed with "Cirque Pinder", a French Circus. She is also a judge for a foreign version of "America's Got Talent". If you haven't seen her perform, look her up under "Cirque Pinder" on Google video.

Lyn Dillies is a fav, simply because she was one of the first women in magic I watched while deciding to perform magic myself.

Isn't Sittah performing now? I have only seen one short clip of her on a talk show.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Natasha, Rachel is married to Aldo Colombini now. Here's a link to their web site which has some contact information.

http://www.wildcolombini.com/
Where the magic begins
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Quote:
Isn't Sittah performing now? I have only seen one short clip of her on a talk show.

Yes, she is. In fact, Sittah took 1st place honors in the illusions category at FISM 2006 at Stockholm. Her entire competition piece (quite literally a 10-minute illusion show, with a complete story) is on the FISM 2006 DVD. I was in the audience and very proud to see a female win that spot. Especially one that so many had written off as 'just an assistant'. Smile
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
QwEen_oV_mAgic
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
6 Posts

Profile of QwEen_oV_mAgic
0w wow I didn't know that Rachel was remarried.
Thank you for the Link Dave.
JasonB
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of JasonB
Lisa Menna
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Kristen Johnson...no female performs the Water Torture Cell or any other water escape better than she does. Her twists to the Hanging Straitjacket escape, Snowstorm, true physical stunts and many others combine the perfect balance of elegance, strength, beauty and determination.

After our shows girls flock to Kristen. They think it is so cool to see a female doing what she does. Funny thing is the guys also are drawn to her as they are truly impressed with what she accomplishes during the show.

Kevin

P.S. Yes I admit I am a bit biased.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Kevin,
I will agree with you on Kristen's performance of the WTC. I'll have to trust you on the suspended straitjacket because I haven't seen her perform that Smile I will admit that knowing I'll never be able to do any of the underwater stuff, I am a bit envious of her. I would love to do JUST ONE underwater stunt, but if my cardiologist were to find out, he'd kill me! We finally got all my heart problems diagnosed and while everything is being treated and monitored, I'd rather not tempt fate. So, I'll stick to doing my escapes in the formalwear (and hope nothing breaks during the performance!) Smile

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Quote:
On 2008-01-15 19:34, lemon ice wrote:
Joan, first I'd like to point out that I can only ever remember seeing a couple female magicians in my whole life, so my opinion comes from a very limited perception of female magicians.

One of those ladies I liked, the other I didn't. Personally, I could do without the sex appeal stuff. I watch magic for the performance. I don't personally care to see a woman using the fact that she's a woman as a selling point for her act. That's just me. Have skill and talent and be a great performer. All I ask. I could do without the bathing suit or the leotard. And this coming from a very straight male.

As mentioned by several others, Julianna Chen is awesome.

I just came from the another thread I think it's "MissDirection" Or maybe it was brought up in " Women Only!" but someone asked why we do not use our natural sex appeal as "Misdirection" I could not have expressed it better myself. THIS is why a lot of males do not take female magicians seriously. While the large percentage of female magicians perform for the sake of performing, there will always be that 1 in who knows how many that will try and wiggle her way into magic... and suck. And that is what will be remembered. I wish that you had posted this over there.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
Krystyn Lambert, we had the oportunity to be at a master class together in vegas when she was only 12, we just did a show in Loveland Colorado and she has come a long way, she has been performing at the magic castle and she has won several magic competitions, she is only 17 now but she is soon to be a big star in the world of magic.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2007-07-12 13:35, Spellbinder wrote:
Autumn Morningstar is quickly becoming my favorite woman magician. Here's why:

http://www.angelfire.com/celeb/magicmorningstar/ams.html

I'm very impressed with her video sampler and her background (?) music. *sigh* There's nothing on her site about coming to the Four-State Area (Oklahoma/Arkansas/Missouri/and sometimes Kansas).

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet (Cherokee on Mom's side, Creek on Dad's; but looks more like the "Black Dutch" gypsy who came to this country, went straight to Indian territory, and started this family.)
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
161 Posts

Profile of Lash
My favorites are: Jessica Reed, Krystyn Lambert, and Tina Lenert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Mercedes Talma.
I named my hairless Sphynx cat after her.
Talma was the only name exotic enough to suit my cat.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-03-13 13:00, ringmaster wrote:

Malinda is my favorite too.
mark2004
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
215 Posts

Profile of mark2004
Quote:
On 2008-09-14 10:39, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-13 13:00, ringmaster wrote:

Malinda is my favorite too.

Do you mean Melinda?