The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Feminine Mystique :: Table hopping prop management ideas? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Alyx
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Alyx
Oh, hey everyone! I've made some progress, and you've all been super helpful in my creative problem-solving journey.

I did pick up a leather hip purse (inspired by Opus's suggestions), which isn't the perfect solution, but it's a starting point. This is the one I purchased: https://www.etsy.com/listing/235273274/l......_click=1

I've also changed my business plan to target corporate walkaround and similar gigs. So, alas, the classy jeans look is probably out and with it are the back pockets. Stuffing back pockets has been irking me anyway. So, I've decided to strip out as many props as possible.

Right now I plan to keep the rings in the hip purse along with a nesting wallet and a very slim wallet for business cards and Extreme Burn. This is pretty tight, though, so I may swap the nesting wallet for coins -- haven't found the right walkaround effect yet, though. Eventually, I want to ditch the hip purse, but I'm not quite ready to leave the comfort of the ninja rings (maybe a custom leather rings holder some day?). The rest of my kit has been confined to cards. I've got 5-6 strong tricks with an ungimmicked deck suitable for walkaround. Just need one or two more, and I'm done -- phew!

Wravyn, you opened my eyes to deck holsters. The Josh Jay one that you linked is probably too big to look good on my hip (since I'm not concealing it under a jacket). I'm presently searching out a good looking single deck holster. I may go with Josh Jay's original one modified with a belt clip rather than a belt loop, but exploring all options.

So there you have it, I've switched to a walkaround focus. I've got a small hip purse for now, and plan to eventually just use one or two deck holsters. Thank you again, everyone, for welcoming me to the Magic Café with lots and lots of great advice!

PS I miss my street pouches soooooo much, haha. Oh well. Roll with the changes. ;-)
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3556 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Thank you for the update. Sounds like you are moving closer and closer to obtaining your goal.

Perhaps somewhere down the road, instead of carrying your rings in a pouch, you will be able to wear them on your wrist. I know these are on the pricey side but figured I would share for future reference.
http://www.bjwmagicaljewelers.com/store/......Set.html
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Alyx - I wouldn't give up the idea of restaurant work. It is a good complement to corporate strolling. Allows you to perfect new routines - once ready for real audience, you can perform over and over at your restaurant gig in one evening. It is a quick way to build your repertoire. An added benefit, if at an upscale place, it will generate leads for you.

Good luck!

Hudson
Alyx
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Alyx
Thank you for the insights, Hudson. I completely agree, and I'm not planning to do away restaurants entirely, just a shift in primary focus.

I've got my set lists completed, working on the new routines, and costuming is nearly finished. Hopefully, I'll be working by the end of January. Hold me accountable, everyone. Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Alyx that is a classy hip purse!!