The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Feminine Mystique :: Should a magician date a magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
To offer a different view, my first wife of 38 years had little interest in magic and viewed my interest as a mild diversion. Then, while I was overseas with the military she read the entire Tarbell Course. She realize how "consuming" it could be to practice and perform well and considered it a possible detraction from our marriage, rasing kids, running business and so on -- not a "mistress fear" but a time commitment to something we could not share. So, by agreement I enver gave a public show while we were married -- focusing instead on "one-on-one" performances in sales situations, etc. We found other activites we could do together, with magic being more of an intelectual passion that a performing one.

The key issue is that a marriage must be based on shared interests with "hobbies" that do not detract from family responsibilties. If you are dating or contemplating marriage you should discuss the roll that magic will play in your lives. I did not "give up magic" for her -- just changed the focus of my involvement. Now I can thank her for more than 4,000 unique on-on-one performances to draw from in the creation of new effects. The fact that I had a diversion with no pressure to ever perform was also a special gift.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of asgar
I would love to date a beautiful female magician .In fact I fell in love with one older female magician in Café (i just saw the the picture and youtube videos and became a stalker for a few days).did I mention I'm young and good looking?
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-07-13 04:15, asgar wrote:
did I mention I'm young and good looking?

And modest Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
[quote]On 2010-07-13 04:15, asgar wrote:
I fell in love with one older female magician in Café (i just saw the the picture and youtube videos and became a stalker for a few days).

And creepy? LOL

- Mary Mowder
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Not to creep you out further Mary... but he probably meant you.
That's a lovely picture you have as your Avatar.

(I'm happily married and quite safe Smile )

(Also note that I am assuming he is practically a child...)
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Nope, I've never posted to you-tube.
I think I know who asgar means though. I don't want to cross the creep line by mentioning a name but I'm straight and I noticed.

Thank you for your comment on the photo Cyberqat.

And I almost look like that too (once, on the way to a show, for 5 min, a couple of years ago).

- Mary
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Lol. If your at all like my Kitten, you probably look like that more often then you realize. She's always her worst critic Smile

Now you DO have me wondering whose picture I missed, but I'm sure I'll stumble across it sooner or later. Of course being cute when your a kid is relatively easy... it takes real personality to carry it off when your a little older.

Take me, I'm told in college I bore a remarkable similarity to Dustin Hoffman. In middle age, I bear WAY too much similarity to Dr. Bunson Honeydew on the muppet show Smile

I should note however I'm a BIG hit with children these days... so maybe looking like a muppet isn't so bad after all Smile
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
A magician with a magician is a good thing depending on circumstance.

Poor magician + Poor magician = Don't have a good future I think
Rich magician + Poor magician = Still fine
Rich magician + Rich magician = Best!

Anyway I prefer to date a girl who love to watch my magic and don't mind that I talk about magic every time we date. Perhaps a girl who join me in search on a great card shark or a great magician.
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I have dated a number of magicians. You know them, but I don't kiss and tell Smile My husband works in my big show, but has a flexible day job. So my vote is YES!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You know that Bill and Ruth Pitts are a married magician couple with an IBM Ring named for each? (Ruth - New York and Bill - Ft. Smith, AR)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am not interested in dating a magician. I rather date a clown. But she better be freaky.
:clownjuggling: Smile
Megan
View Profile
New user
London
20 Posts

Profile of Megan
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Megan, I'm ROFLMAO! Good one!

Doug
Megan
View Profile
New user
London
20 Posts

Profile of Megan
This greatly amuses my boyfriend, especially as the girl in the comic looks ridiculously like me lol. Smile

These are also good -

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=594#comic

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=497#comic
lozey
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
381 Posts

Profile of lozey
Id definatly date another magician, prop maker, entertainer or sideshow artist
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
When I'm struggling with a prototype effect, my non-magician wife usually can take one look and tell me what sleight I need to make it all work. She has a beautiful mind for the art but no interest in doing it. But her having knowledge almost extensive as mine has made her invaluable, as I tend to sometimes over complicate things, and she can make it work much simpler! She also can solve problems in an effect I'm creating without breaking a sweat!
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Since you would both have common ground as magicians, it's definitely a good start. Unfortunately my wife picks fights once a week with me over magic. She HATES it. She also hates my magician friends. If she were a magician that wouldn't happen. Well, it certainly SHOULDN'T happen!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I see no reason why not.
MissMage
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of MissMage
Depends on how he dresses. If I saw one sequin I'd run.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2012-02-23 23:16, BatsMagic wrote:
Since you would both have common ground as magicians, it's definitely a good start. Unfortunately my wife picks fights once a week with me over magic. She HATES it. She also hates my magician friends. If she were a magician that wouldn't happen. Well, it certainly SHOULDN'T happen!

Are you saying the magic has gone out of your romance?