The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Feminine Mystique :: MissDirection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Acesover, your point on the what the spectator see's first is correct. Though I feel to make a lasting impression you don't just want to have the "hot" look. I have had people say that the performer looked "Hot", but the show sucked. I am not just talking about magic I think it goes for any type of performance. I didn't come to see skimpy outfits I came to be entertained, I think other people feel the same way. As Crystal said, let the magic speak for itself!
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Beauty and its distraction is in the eye of the beholder. I agree that it would not be misdirection for everyone in an audience. But I do recall that every time Nani walked on the stage I totally forgot Mark was there until she left again.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Beauty is only skin deep. Ugly is to the bone. Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2008-10-03 14:06, Banester wrote:
Acesover, your point on the what the spectator see's first is correct. Though I feel to make a lasting impression you don't just want to have the "hot" look. I have had people say that the performer looked "Hot", but the show sucked. I am not just talking about magic I think it goes for any type of performance. I didn't come to see skimpy outfits I came to be entertained, I think other people feel the same way. As Crystal said, let the magic speak for itself!

If you reread my post you will see that I said that you see the performer first. Then I went on to clarify that the look is seen first first but the magic is primary not secondary. Just to clarify my position on this.

I totally agree with you about some performers looking hot but their performance sucked. The only ones I know that this works for are pole dancers but that is a different topic,,,ha, ha. Although I guess they have to perform (dance) well also. Oh heck never mind. I am getting myself in trouble here.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Zirconia
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
3 Posts

Profile of Zirconia
Hello Everyone,

I have often browsed these forums but never actually registered. This topic prompted me to join Magic Café so I could respond!

In general, when a female magician appears on stage wearing very revealing clothing, then proceeds to perform illusions in which she gets shoved into boxes and generally plays the victim, it is difficult for me to take her seriously as a magician. At that point she really is just a glorified assistant. Several female magicians I have seen seem to fall into this trap. I think it is possible to present yourself as both powerful and sexy (or powerful and beautiful, or whatever you are trying to convey), but it has to be a conscious decision about who you are when you perform. Too many female magicians default to the assistant's role on stage because that is the image they're familiar with in magic. Other thoughts on this?
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
Quote:
On 2008-08-24 20:35, Amazing Binky wrote:
Unfortunately, cleavage as misdirection doesn't always work. You notice that Vernet no longer carries the "Third Boob" which held a huge load, but was often spotted by the onlooker as suspicious. Smile

:rotf: Smile Smile Smile Smile
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
Those using skin are pity, as their magic are weak and audience are not interested in watching her magic..

Imagine a guy stripper performing magic....Woman like him not because his magic..guy definitely won't even look...

Same can be said with a woman stripper performing magic..guy definitely wasn't watching the magic (They just pretend to be interest in what she did) and woman on the other hand might feel ...well I don't know.. LOL

My conclusion is, if your magic are accepted by american, euro and asian audience, then it good. Follow path of cyril takayama. Just pure magic.

Those woman who depend on clothing and sexy, would not be able to perform when they old. Definitely not performing at the age of 80 like the professor Dai Vernon.
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Why should a woman have to show her body to be a magician? Regardless of her looks, I would imagine she'd want to be taken seriously, and respected for her skill, dedication, and hard work rather than her body. I'm a man and find this thread horrifying! Those of you with jobs suggest to your female co-workers that they show more skin to make more money at their job and see if it's a good idea!
Lucy
View Profile
New user
Alabama
26 Posts

Profile of Lucy
II learned in my first competition experience that you must be very cautious about dress or costume. As a dancer I had never given a thought to the sexiness of a costume.Ballet in its classical form uses some abreviated costumes but we just don't think about it. For my first competition I was supposed to be a Genie, and was dressed appropriately in a very nice belly dance costume which I had imported from Greece. It showed some skin but not very much. My performance was downgraded because of the costume. Since that experience I have been very careful to keep covered when performing. misdirection is just better if it is purposfully done and does not depend on gender.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
The only competition I feel is worthy of the time and effort requires that numbskull judges can not sabotage the results. The hundred yard dash comes to mind. Unfortunately, I don't know if there is a magic equivalent. You should not have had your performance downgraded because of your costume, but objectivity is in short supply...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Lucy
View Profile
New user
Alabama
26 Posts

Profile of Lucy
I think you're right about that. My first competition was also my last. I perform but don't compete. Judges are only human and they all have a personal filter which interferes with objectivity. Still I feel that performance should make sexual misdirection unnecessary. Costume should be appropriate to the theme of the act.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2008-09-28 10:35, acesover wrote:
I have to put in my two cents here. I feel that we are confusing looking good, or hot, or sexy or what ever you want to call it with misdirection. Misdirection is done in a moment. While your look is there from the beginning of your performance till the end.

I agree. Clothing has nothing to do with misdirection. I put it in the category of music, backdrop, lighting, stage set, etc. How you choose to dress should be commensurate with the mood and feel your trying to project to your audience.

But lets be honest for a moment. Attractive people tend to be more successful. Sorry, that's just the way it is. So, I do anything and everything I can think of to make me and my act look more attractive. For example, I workout regularly and watch my weight. For a woman I see nothing wrong with 'accentuating the positive' to make her more attractive.

There is no reason why a woman can't be sexy AND talented. To suggest that a women is successful because she slept her way to the top is narrow-minded and degrading.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I've seen Rich Bloch perform with his wife and she's outfitted as a beauty contest contestant with the banner across her upper body reading "Miss Direction" Very effective.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
Quote:
On 2012-01-07 22:39, Lucy wrote:
I think you're right about that. My first competition was also my last. I perform but don't compete. Judges are only human and they all have a personal filter which interferes withh objectivity. Still I feel that performance should make sexual misdirection unnecessary. Costume should be appropriate to the theme of the act.

I totally agree with Lucy! Part of the overall entertainment value of a performance is costuming that fits the act.

Unfortunately I have noticed in many circumstances that many judges of magic competitions seem to have very little knowledge of live theatre or performing art. This theory is based solely on observation as I do not compete myself.

I have also noticed at conventions that there are only a very few types of acts that ever win and they are always very similar in nature, therefore I believe that no matter how good your performance and costuming is, if it does not fit the pre conceived criteria of what it takes to win a magic competition, there is no chance of winning.

~Nanci
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I agree that we should be able to stand upon our skill and ability to do well as a magician.
It is true however, that the first impression is usually lasting. That can be a result of skill or costume<or lack thereof>.
I have observed of late that there are a number of men who perform NOT in "business suit" or the classical tailcoat look. There are a number who show some chest (Not just Hans Klock)or go out of their way to wear tight pants!
Funny, how when the boys do it, no one seems to bat an eye, but if the women do it.....No worry from me, I do NOT have the body for it! It is just that no matter how much we like to think there is not, the double standard still exists.
As to using clothes for Mis-direction? ALL the time! where it is a certain color set to hide something, or a cut of clothes to enable a steal or load, what we wear, and how we incorporate it into the act is pretty danged important.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com