The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: Advice for a (very) novice hypnotist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
lika scence
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of lika scence
Hi all,
I've been learning hypnosis from a book I got a while ago, and I've been trying my very hardest to improve my very basic understanding of the art. I have attempted it on a lot of people from my university, but so far the most I've managed to achieve is a couple of feet stuck to the floor.

So I decided to try and get more help from you guys, I've looked for people to teach me hypnotism on a professional level in my area but there don't seem to be any. So how would you guys advise I go about advancing my hypnosis education professionally (and more importantly, safely)

thanks,
Will
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Where are you located Will?
lika scence
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of lika scence
I'm currently hopping back and forth between Cardiff and Hereford at the moment (The ones in the UK, not the USA versions)
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Sorry, that's out of my jurisdiction, I am not allowed to offer advice in that territory. Just hang on and I'm sure others from your neighborhood will be along shortly.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Will,
Jonathan Chase and I would love to meet you in Birmingham in a couple of weeks time.
http://hypnosishappens.co.uk/

(Notice VIP also includes some individual work with myself and Jonathan.)

Otherwise, either of us would be happy to discuss mentoring.

Cheers!
Reg
lika scence
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of lika scence
Ah wow that looks amazing! I really wish I could afford it, but 200 quid plus travel is a lot for me =[
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I read you were looking for someone to teach you on a professional level in your area Will, how much is your budget?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Yeah. It's 200 quid per day actually. Then you'd have to think about accommodation on top of that.
It is a shame the cost is restrictive for you.
I remember feeling the same way about driving lessons.
Then I realised I couldn't learn it properly from books and Dad couldn't teach me the way I needed.
So I weighed up the expense against what I would gain in the long term and paid a professional.

:D

Quote:
On 2012-04-26 15:16, lika scence wrote:
Ah wow that looks amazing! I really wish I could afford it, but 200 quid plus travel is a lot for me =[
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
[quote]On 2012-04-27 02:25, quicknotist wrote:
Yeah. It's 200 quid per day actually. Then you'd have to think about accommodation on top of that.
It is a shame the cost is restrictive for you.
I remember feeling the same way about driving lessons.
Then I realised I couldn't learn it properly from books and Dad couldn't teach me the way I needed.
So I weighed up the expense against what I would gain in the long term and paid a professional.

:D

[quote]And I got into a car, got my dad to explain the pedals and gear shift, and drove 200 miles. At the end I could drive. Job done.

At certain stages of our life money is not there to make an investment in our future, no matter how sensible that might be. So books will have to do. For the first fifteen years of my career, they did me fine.

That said, I might drop over for the Friday, as I have no gigs in so far. I have hit the stage where I quite like the idea of training.
lika scence
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of lika scence
Well this is the problem you see, I can drive but what with the price of petrol it will all end up costing so much. If I had the money I would go for it, I don't mind spending money on education. I only have about 100 quid left until I get payed, next month. :/

Bobser, I guess my budget is around a 100 quid (which seems to be nowhere near enough) :/

I guess I'll have to put the hypnotism on hold for a while and save up a bit of money to pay for a proper education, I wanna do it right so my only option is to save up.
thanks anyway
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Tony

You seem to be proud of not learning anything properly! And it can only happen in your country that someone can drive without a license...I hope the local dentist didn't take your approach lol....

your part of the world sounds like the wild west full of cowboys but sounds a good laugh though..
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That's funny but that was my first thought too. Hilarious.

I hate to ask him how he learned about sex. Lots of papercuts I suspect.

(Tony, just meant jokingly-lol)
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Guys, you should move here. You might find you like it!

Paper cuts - that got a chuckle!
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1591 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On 2012-04-28 19:33, TonyB2009 wrote:
Guys, you should move here. You might find you like it!

Paper cuts - that got a chuckle!

Since we got electric light in last year, we've never looked back! Smile
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I still remember the wind-up telephones, and the woman at the exchange who would put you in touch with whoever you were ringing. I reckon she listened in too.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I watched the film "Gardia" which seemed to sum up the attitude your talking about. Was a really funny film.
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
I am in a similar boat. I have started studying hypnosis. I have two books and one DVD. I am not in a real hurry so I am trying to absorb as much information as I can at my pace.

I would eventually really like to get some one on one training/coaching. I live near Seattle WA so I imagine it won't be impossible to find a tutor.

-Max
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
864 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I learned basic hypnosis from a book, about 40 years ago. I learned how to stick someone's foot to the floor, etc. But I lost interest, as at that time, I had no use for it. (Fool, me!). Of course, having a mentor would be great, but my point is, as TonyB points out, you can learn from a book...a few years back, I decided to make a "comeback", and I'm now a "certified" Smile clinical hypnotherapist, after 18 months of training. Cost a bit, but worth every cent. I travelled to the UK every month, so add in the travel costs from Ireland. It was one of the best things I've ever done...your biggest problem is finding victims... because, those who know you may not take you seriously, (you have to make them believe in you) for example..and you may be reluctant to try it out on passers-by...
Good luck with it, and keep on keeping on...

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.