The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: Derren Brown reminder! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Just a reminder for UK viewers that Bobser's friend Derren Brown starts a new series tonight, (Friday 21st Oct 2011) on Channel 4 at 9PM.

First show is about hypnotising and programming someone to assassinate a celebrity. ?!?!?

(Note: With most of our celebrities it wouldn't require any programming or payment.)
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
We're not really that friendly nowadays. I did advise him NOT to take the commissioning for this show.
The hypnotists in here will understand why.
The mentalists in 'Penny' will not.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I saw that on the tube and found it frightening. I can understand what Bobser is saying.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-10-21 13:05, Shrubsole wrote:

First show is about hypnotising and programming someone to assassinate a celebrity. ?!?!?

Here's my perspective on this, I think Derren WANTS the controversy from this Manchurian-legend thing...

Much like his Roulette thing that really put him on the world map, so to speak...

That whole "no such thing as bad publicity" angle... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Well you have to admit that it works! Why stop when you have everyone talking about you and paying money to pack out shows?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Is everyone really talking about him or is it just the magic community?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Members of the JREF forums seem to have their panties in a bunch over him, primarily because most of them can't figure out what he does and because he doesn't toe their line of how mentalism must only be presented.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-11-30 23:15, Mindpro wrote:
Is everyone really talking about him or is it just the magic community?

Yes the TV shows get a big response on lay-forums. And the response is always VERY positive or VERY negative with not much inbetween.

Some of the negative stuff is obviously from kiddies who can't work it out, but they are vicious!
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
What amuses me the most about discussions revealing how they think he "does it" is that people with little or no knowledge of NLP think he uses NLP, people with little or no knowledge of hypnosis think he uses hypnosis, and people with no knowledge of magic are sure it can't be a magic trick.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
By far the most over used and abused word on lay-forums is "STOOGE!"

It fits anything and everything they don't know how it is done or works. They can't figure it out and for some reason see all this stuff as trying to make them look stupid, so they dismiss it all as nothing but stooges and actors.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-12-01 15:58, Shrubsole wrote:
By far the most over used and abused word on lay-forums is "STOOGE!"

It fits anything and everything they don't know how it is done or works. They can't figure it out and for some reason see all this stuff as trying to make them look stupid, so they dismiss it all as nothing but stooges and actors.

While I love Derren's work...

This is one of the "weaknesses" of TV Mentalism when spectators are used...

I BLAME Criss Angel.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
It's good Tele. Is it really meant to be anything else?
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
findthejake
View Profile
New user
Sun Valley, ID
7 Posts

Profile of findthejake
I think you're right on Jon Chase. Just really entertaining television, regardless of his methods or his madness.