The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: Mentalist Beginning Hypnosis (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
dannyhaze
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of dannyhaze
Hi I want to learn hypnosis and was wondering if I could go straight to learning instant inductions. As a mentalist, I see no use for slower inductions. Is it mandatory that I learn them first before I move on?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What is mandatory is research.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
You need to learn the theory and get an understanding long before you try working with it. There seems to be a large number of hobbyists that have a need to learn TRICKS and to do them right away rather than gaining a full understanding of the entire process, history and theory. They would rather skim through a book and pick and choose things rather than read and digest each piece one by one. Do not make this mistake, especially with hypnosis. I highly suggest that the first book you read is "They call it hypnosis" by Robert Baker.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
dannyhaze
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of dannyhaze
Hmmm... does that really make you better at hypnosis?

Posted: Mar 14, 2006 1:37pm
After I learn the theory and history, can I jump straight to instant inductions or should I start with the slow one first?
Sincerely Dan
Scotty Mac
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Scotty Mac
Dan,

I concur with Paul. You have to keep in mind that magic is,well, magic. What you do with hypnosis is real. It can affect someone physically and mentally in a very real way if done incorrectly.

As a student of magic myself I have invested a lot of time reading, watching, and talking to other people about magic. I work on an effect until I am competent enough to go out and perform it in front of people. I have taken the same approach with hypnosis.

You seem to be wanting to short cut the learning process. Fair dues to you on that, but without a minimum foundation of the basics in terms of process and safety you're asking for trouble.

This site is great for obtaining information on additional resources to enhance your knowledge and get started down the path of greater learning, but the guys and gals that make their living with stage hypnosis, I know for a fact, cringe at these posts around doing instant or "shock" inductions.

Scott
dannyhaze
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of dannyhaze
Thanks for the advice. Yes I was looking for a shortcut but now I can see there is none. I think I should stop asking so much questions and start reading more.
Quote:
but the guys and gals that make their living with stage hypnosis, I know for a fact, cringe at these posts around doing instant or "shock" inductions.

Scott

Are you implying that experianced hypnotists are scared of doing instant inductions in public? Doesn't Derren Brown use instant inductions?
Scotty Mac
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Scotty Mac
I'm implying that experienced hypnotists understand when it is appropriate to use an instant induction. Also, generally, if someone is sincerely interested in a topic like this they will do additional research outside of the site. It's much easier to get responses from the more experienced members when you demonstrate a sincere interest and foundation on the topic.

In my experience it's the same with magic. It's the difference of really wanting to be able to perform the effect versus just wanting to know how it's done. The latter will typcially result in absolute silence from a magician.

From what I have read and understand of Derren Brown he has done the homework. His work ethic and desire to continue seeking knowledge are what set him above many.

Scott
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think you should ask MR. Brown how much study and research went into learning his "instant" induction. The process is NOT isn'tant. He will tell you that I am sure.

If all you want is short cuts, get ready for disappointment. Your act will suffer and you will never reach art.

Not many short cuts exist no matter what the ads say.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
HypnotizeAmerica
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of HypnotizeAmerica
Plus you need to remember that what we want isn't always what the audience expects. Most people expect a long drawn out induction (called a progressive relaxation) and you should always try to give the audience what they want.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Now, Now...
Derren doesn't use "hypnosis" he uses a "heightened state of sensitivity"
(or was it "synchronicity")

... I can't remember, I think I was in an altered state watching him. HHMMMM??????

Smile

Sean
Vanian
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA - Santa Fe, NM
154 Posts

Profile of Vanian
It's funny how some people want the easy "shortcut" to this or that.

I recently became interested in Hypnosis and NLP after seeing a brief Derren Brown video; started my research down the "Stage Hypnotist" path and just recently, instead, enrolled into a full year program for clinical hypnothereapy at an accredited school. It made me realize that you have to (or should) know the foundations first before jumping into "quick inductions" and the like. You'll never be good if you think you can "go straight to" anything... just my 2 cents.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
As a mentalist, did you have to know the differences between precognition, clairvoyance and telepathy effects first, or did you go right out and start booking shows?

Did you learn only one way to do a book test, or did you look around and find the one that suited you best before performing it? Did you rehearse?

Did you learn about blindfold work and, if so, did you explore several methods of working that type of act? Or did you simply go out for a blindfold drive the first day?

Hypnosis is a high-level communicative PROCESS that occurrs between two people. It is complex, multiphasic and involves much more than walking up to someone, shaking their hand and commanding them to go to sleep. A whole lot more.

It also involves the need for a whole lot of knowledge.

Do you know what an abreaction is? Do you know what can trigger one? Do you know how many ways one can be triggered and how to abate one before it fully sets in?

Can you identify the ten most common causes OF abreaction?

Do you know how to handle a reluctant emerger?

And, most importantly, can you get performer's liability insurance simply on your say-so that you are a competent hypnotist?

While I may not know the answer to any of the above except one, I do know the answer to the last question and that answer is a resounding "NO."

You need a professional certification to get professional liability insurance s a stage hypnotist these days. Without it, you will have serious problems getting bookings, at least in the USA.

Organizations like the National Guild of Hypnotists offer training programs worldwide. Visit their web site at http://www.ngh.net for information. Their programs vary from instructor to instructor, but the core curriculum stays the same and the certification is sufficient to get you the insurance you will need.

It will also give you the answers about hypnosis and, more importantly, the training, to deal with the other questions I asked above about hypnosis.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
In my opinion yes you can.

Knowing how a Piza is made won't make it taste better or make it easier to eat.

Hypnosis is simple. In Entertainment stage terms it will only work with a section of the audience and they will drop at the flick of a finger. You need to know that you must be careful not to kill anyone and to include the phrase that everything is taken away and is absolutely back to normal.

I know this contravenes some schools of thought but you can buy a trick from a car-boot with no presentation notes, go out and perform it. Actually probably better than you would have with the notes. I think entertainment hypnosis often benefits from an ignorance of what is going on underneath, which is always under discussion anyway - we really don't know ;-)

As for rapid inductions all inductions are of course instant. It's the build up that seems to take time.

Smiles
Jon Chase
http://jonathanchase.com
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Im sorry John but I couldn't disagree more with the above post if I tried.

I not only think your wrong but I can see how it would be useful for selling products. And of course that is your motivation for being here.

It sort of sums up your thinking. Hypnosis is no more than a trick bought from a car boot sale. I think anyone that trains with you will get just that.

Buyer beware.
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
I don't think that pizza analogy holds up.
I learnt how to make pizza from a professional and consequently, my pizzas taste better than when I made them before and that, I suggest, makes them easier to eat (my earlier attempts- the dough was all wrong).

Sure, you can experiment without thorough training and you'll learn loads on the way, however, solid training and research applied to praxis, surely is better than winging it? I don't know many areas of life where you benefit through ignorance (possibly romance Smile ) and certainly the law takes a dim view of ignorance.

There is a difference between looking for a shortcut and searching for the most expeditious way to achieve the desired outcome.

Maybe I am getting Snr. Chase's post all wrong and he's simply stating that there is no substitute for experience (and who'd argue with that?) however, I feel if there's a knowledge base out there, it seems pretty churlish to ignore it.
ars est celare artem
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
The experience you gain will be a direct corelation to the training and knowledge you seek out. It will also determine the quality of the experience your audience recieves.

Not to forget that hypnosis in the wrong hands can cause physical injury and stress to those minds they dabble with.
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Anansi - can you post your pizza dough recipe here or should I start a new thread? Smile

Incidentally, Derren Brown states in his book "Trick Of The Mind" that he became a hypnotist after seeing stage hpynosis in his university days. Wether or not he was a conjuror before that or not I have no idea.

If hypnosis were like playing the piano you´d start by taking lessons.
You´re unlikely to cause any serious lasting damage to anyone by playing a piano, so again, maybe it´d be a good idea to take some lessons from someone who knows what they´re doing. (?)
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Mindpunisher - I would be careful what you say about Mr Chase. He is widely respected as the foremost knowledge on Stage hypnosis and hypnosis in the UK. He has 3 decades experience and more 'credentials' than anyone here...

He may be a little maverick but hey, that's a right reserved for anyone who has 'tried it all'...

Bubble
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
Well Owen,

You've obviously never been subjected to 'chopsticks' for several hours.

Lasting damage.

:dizzy:
ars est celare artem
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 11:54, Zerububle wrote:
Mindpunisher - I would be careful what you say about Mr Chase. He is widely respected as the foremost knowledge on Stage hypnosis and hypnosis in the UK. He has 3 decades experience and more 'credentials' than anyone here...

He may be a little maverick but hey, that's a right reserved for anyone who has 'tried it all'...

Bubble

Why whats he going to do? Maverick? I think hes just trying to get attention if you ask me. If all that experience results in some of the silly things he says maybe its time it was questioned. Or are you one of the sheep that questions nothing?

Maybe you should snap out of your trance and stop pandering to your own athourity figure constructs. You sound like one those easy "somnabulists" that need no hypnotising jon goes on about. I bet he loves people like you.

I wouldn't spend money with someone who equates hypnosis with a cheap trick found at a car boot sale. But then that would explain a lot of the current thinking around hypnosis.