The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: Hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Okay... we have a contextual argument here.(don't we always with regard to the written word?)
I said what I said because it's true, I could very easily teach someone how to hypnotize a third party in less than one hour.
Your argument, which I would concede to, would be on the quality of the teaching within such a short period.
However, in practice they would still be able to hypnotize the third party... no doubt.
I remember reading a 'how to' book, valued at only £5, in the late 70s and going out and immediately hypnotizing by first sitter. This story of course is not unique, and doesn't apply to my talents, merely how dangerously easy hypnosis is to learn.
After that I spent £700 learning how to be a hypnotherapist, only to discover it was all in the wee book at only £5!!!
I'm not sure if I agree with you on the reasons how the market crashed in the UK being due to the qualitative state of the hypnotists. Your own immediate argument of poor mentalism supports my argument. ie: the mentalist market hasn't crashed.

My argument (philosphical of course) with Ian is that I didn't understand where the ethical reasons entered the arena with regard to his 'non-elaboration'.
Is he saying you CAN hypnotize anyone(alcoholics, drug users, mentally impaired excluded)against their will but it's NOT actually hypnosis?
And if he IS then I suggest in that case it has to be something ELSE other than hypnosis.
I'd like to know what he means.
In all fairness to Ian, I do understand that this (the Café) is not the best medium for discharging ones thoughts, and I do hope no offence was taken.
Sorry Ian...late at night...couple whiskys etc...I'm sure you understand.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-12-13 21:15, bobser wrote:
I said what I said because it's true, I could very easily teach someone how to hypnotize a third party in less than one hour.
Your argument, which I would concede to, would be on the quality of the teaching within such a short period.
However, in practice they would still be able to hypnotize the third party... no doubt.

I believe those are three accurate statements.

Quote:
My argument (philosphical of course) with Ian is that I didn't understand where the ethical reasons entered the arena with regard to his 'non-elaboration'.
Is he saying you CAN hypnotize anyone(alcoholics, drug users, mentally impaired excluded)against their will but it's NOT actually hypnosis?
And if he IS then I suggest in that case it has to be something ELSE other than hypnosis.
I'd like to know what he means.

Ever see Dr. Erickson work?

My two favorite quotes regarding hypnosis:

Bandler: There is no such thing as hypnosis.
Grinder: Everything is hypnosis.

And both men are right. Still, after all these years.

John LeBlanc
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Can't argue with any of that.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Bobser I realise the limitations of the Café and getting over what we mean is not easy. However going by your definition of teaching someone how to hypnotise in an hour. I could say I could teach someone how to be a mentalist in 10- 15 mins. And they could fool someone else. Mabey in less time.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Okay Shrink. Fairnuff.Can't argue with any of that either