The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Enhancing Your Ability to Work Wonders - by Brad Burt :: So You Have Decided on a Character (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
O.k., so you have decided that you want to actually 'be' some form of character to perform your magic as.

Here is a starting check list of things to think about:

#1- What would your character look like? For instance, HOW much costuming do you need to tell your audience that you are who you say you are? Not only that, but how much costuming do YOU need to GET INTO THE CHARACTER?

#2- What would your character sound like? Can you do a different voice than your own and maintain that voice for the duration of the performance without falling out of character? If now, who do you go to for help and training?

#3- What is your characters background? Where did he grow up? What was his family like? Where did he go to school? WHY is he or she doing magic for a living?

#4- What quirks if any will your character evidence? Do you limp and why? If you limp, do you use a cane? Is your character ill with some illness that causes him to cough blook into a handkerchief? NOTE: That may sound like a bizzare and horrible concept, but I am working on a character that does exactly that, but there is a powerful reason built into the characterization that makes it necessary, etc.

This is a very important point on the roster as it involves all the little things that will flesh out your character and make him or her real. It also can involve various twitches, etc. that may allow for valuable misdirective power during your show.

#5- What kind of magic might your character be more likely to perform and why? Will you have to put a patter twist, etc. to every routine that you do that will help it confrom to the character? Or, is your character just the persona that you use to DO the magic that you have always done?

Anyway, that's my short starter list. If you want to work as a 'character' I think that's terrific. I have had any number of friends that have done so including one brilliant local performer who worked as a giant rabbit and spent literally hundreds of hours practicing to do the most difficult and meticulous card work wearing white cotton gloves!!! But, man o' man...you should have seen that bunny do magic! It was an tour de force example of what can be accomplished with great attention of detail, etc. in the creation of a character. All best,
Brad Burt