The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: ICEBERG (ACAAN app) by Shameer Salim (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Hey all,

I know people love an ACAAN - so here is a math-free, memory-free, zero-sleight method from Shameer Salim: https://ellusionist.com/products/iceberg

I got to add one feature to the app (so I'm biased with that minor claim to fame), but take a look at the trailer on the link above and feel free to ask any questions here.

Shameer is known in the app space for creating robust apps and ICEBERG is no different. It's based on the work of Barry Richardson and Mitchell Kettlewell but uses the apps secret input methods to take away any memory or guess work. Which is great if you're new to stack or have never done stack before.

- G
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2207 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Hi G,

Reluctant to buy another app from Ellusionist to be honest.
Loved Predictagram but it's not been updated so now useless.
How can I be assured this won't happen again?

Also there is an ACAAN style effect by the name of Ice Berg released by Daniel Dorian.

Thanks
Michael
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2024, reignofsound wrote:
Hi G,

Also there is an ACAAN style effect by the name of Ice Berg released by Daniel Dorian.

Thanks
Michael

I hesitate to get into this because I don't want to detract from the subject of the thread and make this all about predictagram or the app space in general.

However, you do deserve an answer to your question, Michael. So here we go... I'll try and be as detailed as I can - as your hard-earned money needs to be respected.

App magic is a style-based kind. Where the buyers are aware that it's tweaking/hacking/replicating some well-known technology or feature to achieve something magical. Often, with this, your hands are tied if Apple, Google or Meta (as an example) changes or locks something down. That's the risk.

Unfortunately, no technology can be supported forever. Your phone, your laptop, your TV. It all has a window of use and as Moore's law carries us into the future, technology becomes redundant as a consequence of time. This is a more philosophical stance, but it's the reason I started collecting mechanical watches. As everything else of value in my life will either die like me, or won't hold value for my future kids or grandkids.

Back to predicatgram.

Ellusionist did give years (plural) of support to Predictagram. There were no subscriptions - but eventually, Instagram kept changing the styling and APIs and it became too broken across all devices (as a web-app and not a native one).

As it was a one-off purchase of $20-$30 (at the time of release) we felt justified in offering multiple years worth of value to customers before discontinuing it. We also offered refunds to anyone who bought it within 12 months of us taking it off sale, as they didn't even have a year of use.

That was a loss to us - and one we were happy to take on. The creator was still paid royalties for each sale. Even when we refunded it.

As you can imagine, it wasn't a popular decision to discontinue it - but Ellusionist was early to the app game and built original Cipher, Predictagram and Tempus on 'web app' technology that became too buggy across all device types and operating systems.

It's one of the reasons why ICEBERG is now a native app for iOS (iPhones) only. To save customer frustration. As Apple devices and operating systems are far easier to get right consistently across all phones. Android does have a wider grasp on the phone market but also accounts for 90% of all app problems and customer dissatisfaction.

I cannot speak for Shameer, but I can speak to my own assumptions of all technology in general, which is to say that none of them will ever be supported forever. That's the truth. So it's all about whether or not you feel you can extract $50 worth of value in the next few years or not.

Shameer is known for his support - across HYDRA, Genie & Cipher Pro, which are all robust apps and have been operating for years now. But I won't ever be able to assure you that any app from us or any other producer won't be discontinued in future.

All I can say is, we aim to be fair and refund or credit customers who we feel have not been able to get the value for money should an app need to be discontinued. Like we did with predictagram/original cipher when they were discontinued.

Hope that helps mate.

I feel for your position but hope that you can see the context. I buy a pair of vans shoes every year, but I wear them often. They won't last forever, but I see that £50/pair fee as worth it. Same for $10 decks of cards. Same for the £60 double cross that I've lost 3 of and keep having to rebuy.

It all comes down to what you value.

If you feel like you'll use this app, then don't be afraid of the 'what if' and enjoy it - and if apps aren't for you because of their transient nature, then this won't be for you anyway.

Much love,

- G
Bottom Drawer
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Bottom Drawer
Nothing but good things to say about Shameer
I've been using his apps for nearly two years.

His previous app is mind-blowing.

He's always ready to update and support.

I bet this is awesome.

BD
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
758 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Can the peek be obtained on smart watches other than the Apple Watch via push notification?
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2024, Phatmeat wrote:
Can the peek be obtained on smart watches other than the Apple Watch via push notification?

It's only been designed / tested for Apple Watch. So that's the only one we can say it works on Smile
shameersalim
View Profile
New user
Charlotte, NC
36 Posts

Profile of shameersalim
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2024, Phatmeat wrote:

Its a native watch app and is not a notification. The watch app comes into play when you are using the app in the Notes Mode and the spectator would be typing in a card and a number.
Watch app is just another way to peek and you don't need the Apple watch to use Iceberg.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2207 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2024, GeraintClarke wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2024, reignofsound wrote:
Hi G,

Thanks
Michael

I hesitate to get into this because I don't want to detract from the subject of the thread and make this all about predictagram or the app space in general.

However, you do deserve an answer to your question, Michael. So here we go... I'll try and be as detailed as I can - as your hard-earned money needs to be respected.

App magic is a style-based kind. Where the buyers are aware that it's tweaking/hacking/replicating some well-known technology or feature to achieve something magical. Often, with this, your hands are tied if Apple, Google or Meta (as an example) changes or locks something down. That's the risk.

Unfortunately, no technology can be supported forever. Your phone, your laptop, your TV. It all has a window of use and as Moore's law carries us into the future, technology becomes redundant as a consequence of time. This is a more philosophical stance, but it's the reason I started collecting mechanical watches. As everything else of value in my life will either die like me, or won't hold value for my future kids or grandkids.

Back to predicatgram.

Ellusionist did give years (plural) of support to Predictagram. There were no subscriptions - but eventually, Instagram kept changing the styling and APIs and it became too broken across all devices (as a web-app and not a native one).

As it was a one-off purchase of $20-$30 (at the time of release) we felt justified in offering multiple years worth of value to customers before discontinuing it. We also offered refunds to anyone who bought it within 12 months of us taking it off sale, as they didn't even have a year of use.

That was a loss to us - and one we were happy to take on. The creator was still paid royalties for each sale. Even when we refunded it.

As you can imagine, it wasn't a popular decision to discontinue it - but Ellusionist was early to the app game and built original Cipher, Predictagram and Tempus on 'web app' technology that became too buggy across all device types and operating systems.

It's one of the reasons why ICEBERG is now a native app for iOS (iPhones) only. To save customer frustration. As Apple devices and operating systems are far easier to get right consistently across all phones. Android does have a wider grasp on the phone market but also accounts for 90% of all app problems and customer dissatisfaction.

I cannot speak for Shameer, but I can speak to my own assumptions of all technology in general, which is to say that none of them will ever be supported forever. That's the truth. So it's all about whether or not you feel you can extract $50 worth of value in the next few years or not.

Shameer is known for his support - across HYDRA, Genie & Cipher Pro, which are all robust apps and have been operating for years now. But I won't ever be able to assure you that any app from us or any other producer won't be discontinued in future.

All I can say is, we aim to be fair and refund or credit customers who we feel have not been able to get the value for money should an app need to be discontinued. Like we did with predictagram/original cipher when they were discontinued.

Hope that helps mate.

I feel for your position but hope that you can see the context. I buy a pair of vans shoes every year, but I wear them often. They won't last forever, but I see that £50/pair fee as worth it. Same for $10 decks of cards. Same for the £60 double cross that I've lost 3 of and keep having to rebuy.

It all comes down to what you value.

If you feel like you'll use this app, then don't be afraid of the 'what if' and enjoy it - and if apps aren't for you because of their transient nature, then this won't be for you anyway.

Much love,

- G

Thanks for the very informative response G.
Was a great app and a real shame it has been discontinued.

Best
Michael
WeeBrian
View Profile
New user
Cologne, DE
56 Posts

Profile of WeeBrian
ICE BERG - By Daniel Dorian Johnson
https://www.mindfx.co.uk/collections/new......-johnson
shameersalim
View Profile
New user
Charlotte, NC
36 Posts

Profile of shameersalim
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2024, WeeBrian wrote:

Its a different effect, (Support us both :=))
My Iceberg is based on IceCold Acaan which is inspired from Barry Richardson's ACAAN.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
901 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Considering Iceberg is a recent release, and seems to have been fairly popular, it's not like the name was particularly obscure. Don't people research the name they give to effects? One, to feel like they've created something unique, and two; out of respect of the previous release.

IceCold was not inspired by Barrie Richardson's it was a poorly researched and unintentional rehash, surrounded by controversy regarding the use of some language in the ad.
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of UnbiasedMagicReviews
Ice Cold ACAAN was not a TRUE ACAAN as it had restrictions as you could NOT allow a spectator to truly name any card and any number. Some numbers won't work because of Barrie Richardson's method. Richardson side stepped this problem by LIMITING the spectator's choice of numbers in Theatre of the Mind. Kettlewell attempted to fix this by asking the spectator to change their mind if they named a number that was out of bounds. If you perform the ACAAN effect for some time you will occasionally encounter a spectator that will challenge you and will not want to change their number. Imagine they change their mind for another number which is out of bounds afterwards. The whole thing can turn into a disaster quickly. I am curious if there are the same restrictions with this effect.

My only other question, what is your excuse for using the phone - please don't say as a "random number generator" because that is laughable.
YouTube & Instagram - UnbiasedMagicReviews
I buy/review magic to help you make better decisions
Unbiased The Definitive ACAAN -The BEST Ungimmicked ACAAN - https://youtu.be/YtAAETDIouA
Oliver Munoz Gutierrez
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Oliver Munoz Gutierrez
Shameer's apps are great and the support is the best I've experienced concerning magic related apps.

@unbiasedmagicreview: As soon as a product has a certain name on it, you are just looking for the fly in the ointment and scandalize it excessively.
The main thing for you is that your name gets talked about.
This destructive style is simply no fun anymore. To your question.. there are multiple input options available and handlings taught.

On that note, thank you Shameer. It's a pleasure to see how much heart you put into your work.
Bottom Drawer
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Bottom Drawer
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2024, Oliver Munoz Gutierrez wrote:
Shameer's apps are great and the support is the best I've experienced concerning magic related apps.

@unbiasedmagicreview: As soon as a product has a certain name on it, you are just looking for the fly in the ointment and scandalize it excessively.
This destructive style is simply no fun anymore.

On that note, thank you Shameer. It's a pleasure to see how much heart you put into your work.

Agreed, Shameer is great. His Apps are awesome!

Doctor, buy the App and give us a full report.

You wouldn't give a health report without the full medical, would you?

BD
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Quote:

This destructive style is simply no fun anymore. To your question.. there are multiple input options available and handlings taught.

Why so defensive??

My questions are not only appropriate but necessary especially since this is being advertised as the "Cleanest ACAAN Ever". Those are some BIG SHOES to fill.

When a product is being sold, people have the right to question it and scrutinize it. If there are limitations such as those that the Ice Cold ACAAN/Richarson's ACAAN had (which the creator says this is based on), then people have a right to know.

Since this is the "Cleanest ACAAN Ever" then why isn't there a full demonstration or performance for people to see it?
Unbiased The Definitive ACAAN -The BEST Ungimmicked ACAAN - https://youtu.be/YtAAETDIouA
Bottom Drawer
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Bottom Drawer
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2024, UnbiasedMagicReviews wrote:
Quote:

Why so defensive??

My questions are not only appropriate but necessary especially since this is being advertised as the "Cleanest ACAAN Ever". Those are some BIG SHOES to fill.

When a product is being sold, people have the right to question it and scrutinize it. If there are limitations such as those that the Ice Cold ACAAN/Richarson's ACAAN had (which the creator says this is based on), then people have a right to know.

Since this is the "Cleanest ACAAN Ever" then why isn't there a full demonstration or performance for people to see it?

Fair point

I’d love to see a full demo

BD
Bottom Drawer
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Bottom Drawer
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2024, UnbiasedMagicReviews wrote:
Quote:

Why so defensive??

There is, just seen it on his Instagram. He uses the camera facility in the video.

Also a face up deal

BD
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Still can’t believe they called this Iceberg, so close to an effect with the same plot with the exact same name. Quite pathetic really.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3556 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2024, shameersalim wrote:
Quote:

My Iceberg is based on IceCold Acaan which is inspired from Barry Richardson's ACAAN.

And is available for Android users, doesn't need updates, and is more wallet friendly at the purchase amount.
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 30, 2024, Wravyn wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2024, shameersalim wrote:
Quote:

And is available for Android users, doesn't need updates, and is more wallet friendly at the purchase amount.

Based on that Instagram video - This effect doesn't look like the "Cleanest ACAAN ever". The Cleanest ACAAN Ever would allow the spectator to deal down to their own number. Not to mention you have to do the 'move' at the worst time - while you are dealing down to their number. That is when your audience will expect you to do something.

It also doesn't look like you end CLEAN and likely cannot allow the spectator to immediately look at the deck when you are done. (As someone who performs the ACAAN all the time, I can tell you that the first thing lay people think is that there are duplicates in the deck, and they do pick up the deck and look through it).

I'm still waiting to see if the OP will answer my questions, I posed earlier... regarding the possible limitations of the numbers and the excuse for using the iPhone. I also wonder what you are told to do if you don't have an Apple Watch to peek. (He did invite questions)

Wrayvn - ICE Cold ACAAN was a poor attempt to improve Barrie Richardson's effect. It had the same limitations of Richardson's effect but also suffered from not being able to deal the cards face up to their number.