The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: OPEN BOX at Penguin. (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
Announcing OPEN BOX
http://www.penguinmagic.com/

On every page at Penguin now, you'll see we're featuring a single open-box product. Open-box means someone ordered it, and for some reason it came back to us. Usually in near-perfect condition.. but no matter HOW close to perfect it is, we don't want to re-sell it to you as new.

That one product's price will drop every single minute until someone buys it. Then we'll feature another. And another.

You're helping us make some room for new stuff, and getting an incredible deal on some fantastic magic while you're at it.

Acar
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I think it's brilliant.
MagicallyMe
View Profile
Veteran user
Manhattan Beach, CA
356 Posts

Profile of MagicallyMe
Cool idea. Now we need an Open Box Blizzard.

Btw how to I see all,of the cool box deals on an iPhone? My phone only seems to show me the first item.

Dan
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Great idea for sure.
Todd
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2597 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Wow, that's great!
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
931 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Wow that's awesome!
Creator of the UBT: Underground Bottom Tear

brucewilcox
View Profile
Loyal user
Readers advised to disregard most of my
266 Posts

Profile of brucewilcox
This is like crack! I'm finding myself checking the Penguin site every few minutes when I'm able, but I haven't found a way to check the current Open Box item on my iPhone!
...in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the B'Wave.
NebA
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of NebA
Hey is the Open Box permanent? I thought at first that it would only be for a few days, but now it's been two weeks so I am curious! Thanks.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4824 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Fantastic idea.
James_Kelsey
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of James_Kelsey
This is brilliant, you should consider adding it to the cool box app.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Nice idea. I remember one magic dealer - now out of business - that used to resell these as new, even when they were returned because they didn't work. I'd only suggest that you make it a little more clear on the site itself what "open box" means. It's on the same page as "cool box," in which case the word "box" does not refer to the packaging.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MagicDamo
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of MagicDamo
I wish the UK dealers would do this. Nice idea.
guyjr
View Profile
New user
Don't mind me and my
57 Posts

Profile of guyjr
Excellent idea!
ace1323
View Profile
New user
CT
20 Posts

Profile of ace1323
I think its a great idea as well - but think it would have been good to provide a list of what items would be included or order listed or something to that effect - just to have a general idea of what may be coming up when. I think I would have made some purchases knowing ahead of time what was coming vs just checking randomly every so often when I could.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2015, ace1323 wrote:
I think its a great idea as well - but think it would have been good to provide a list of what items would be included or order listed or something to that effect - just to have a general idea of what may be coming up when. I think I would have made some purchases knowing ahead of time what was coming vs just checking randomly every so often when I could.

No. Then you would know when you need not bother visiting the site, which defeats the purpose of this innovation.

Its purpose is to get you to visit the site more often (and to be in the mood to make an impulse purchase).

In short, the goal is to put you into buying mode 24/7.

Excuse me, I need to go check the Penguin site...
Wenzelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Wenzelo
Interesting selling psychology. price decreases each minute, yet only one available so one is in a big dilemma whether to buy it now or wait later and risk it being bought by someone else.. nice
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1115 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
This is by far the dumbest thing ever!!!!

I'm 100% joking

I'm freaking addicted to it!!!

Like when you bid on an auction site... hitting F5 every 2 seconds!!!!

What a great idea!

I love it! I hate it! I love it!!!!!!

Penguin does it again!
JollyGreenGiant
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of JollyGreenGiant
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2015, Wenzelo wrote:
Interesting selling psychology. price decreases each minute, yet only one available so one is in a big dilemma whether to buy it now or wait later and risk it being bought by someone else.. nice

Happened to me with the Extractor gimmick. Price was good, but hoping to get it when it went lower and missed out. Smile
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2547 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
This is just what my OCD needs.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Just picked up Greg Wilson's "Dishonest Abe" for $17 - very happy, as it's sold out otherwise, and the props alone are worth the money.

On the other hand, I also picked up Paul Green's "I Knew It All the Time" last week via the Open Box, and the jumbo cards were discolored and not particularly attractive. Maybe you take the wheat with the chaff buying seconds, but the ad copy does say "like new."
Now appearing nightly in my basement.