The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Alakazam Magic Presents Ascension By Nick Langham (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Arriving July 2007

A major breakthrough of a classic effect that will go straight into your repertoire!

Walk up to someone with two decks of cards. They choose one and deal through the cards to select any one they want. Keep in mind that you are totally hands off at this point.

They take a look at their card and just concentrate on the value of it. Now slowly and eerily a single, solitary card begins to emerge from the second deck; forcing its way out of the deck and into view. As the face of the card comes slowly into view the audience can see that it is the exact same card that they are thinking of!

Ascension is carefully hand made to be both durable and reliable out of Bicycle stock playing cards

Totally self working and self contained

Instant reset

Ultra small gimmick can be added to your regular deck quickly and easily

Ascension comes ready to go with the two decks & instructional DVD containing bonus ideas & handlings

This is one effect that you will be performing!

http://www.alakazam.co.uk/demos/ACENSION.wmv

I for one am looking forward to this, having been able to view this already in May. This trick really is a fooler, even to Magicians! What a great trick this really is, and if you want one, get one quick, as I can see this selling incredibly fast!

I know Peter has some more cracking releases coming soon...but this is the first to be coming out, and all I can say, is 'Woohoo!!!', as it really is a killer!!!!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Wow, awesome. Arriving when in July Chris, any idea?
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
It says "Walk up to someone with two decks of cards. They choose one and deal through the cards to select any one they want. Keep in mind that you are totally hands off at this point. ".

From the demo video on hocus-pocus it looks like the magician is dealing through the deck until the spectator says stop. So what is is? Can the spectator deal the cards themself or not? that's crucial to this effect. If the spectator cannot do this, then everybody can create this effect in 5 minutes.

If the spectator can really choose between the two decks themself and really deal the cards themself and stop at a chosen card, and then the duplicate of that card will rise out of the other deck - then I think this is a killer effect. Simple and direct.

Can anybody answer this question
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4325 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On 2007-06-22 10:03, Vraagaard wrote:
It says "Walk up to someone with two decks of cards. They choose one and deal through the cards to select any one they want. Keep in mind that you are totally hands off at this point. ".

From the demo video on hocus-pocus it looks like the magician is dealing through the deck until the spectator says stop. So what is is? Can the spectator deal the cards themself or not? that's crucial to this effect. If the spectator cannot do this, then everybody can create this effect in 5 minutes.

If the spectator can really choose between the two decks themself and really deal the cards themself and stop at a chosen card, and then the duplicate of that card will rise out of the other deck - then I think this is a killer effect. Simple and direct.

Can anybody answer this question

Thank you for asking this question. I also noticed this and was sondering the same thing as to whether the magi actually deals the cards and the spectator says "stop" or does the spectator deal the cards.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
It looks pretty fair in that Peter is seen dealing cards face up on the table and the spec fairly picks one when she wishes. Perhaps this is a force, but I have never come across it before. Either way it looks perfectly fair to the spec.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4325 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Pegasus,

It is not an issue as to whether the demo rendition of the effect portrays the selection fo the card via a "force" as being seemingly fair but whether the ad description of the effect, specifically that the spectator deals the cards and then stops at any card and that at this point the performer is totally hands off, is accurate. I agree with you that for me is really would not matter if the selection was accomplished by a force or not but I would like to know if the ad is 100% accurate. It sounds and appears to be an excellent effect.

Best wishes,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You are right of course Michael, the demo does not match the statement presented by Christopher (and the website)

Now if you read the sentence ...They choose one and (YOU) deal through the cards to select any one they want. Keep in mind that you are totally hands off at this point.

It sounds like the word YOU is missing. I hope I'm wrong because, as mentioned before, this can be replicated very easily otherwise.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
As far as I remember, there will be different oucomes depending where they say stop obviously. I think that was one of the things that caught me out when Peter showed me...the fact that you did have the choice. If you wnt to just get a rising card deck and a normal deck, and the force a card, the so be it, but it won't be the same as Ascension!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Guys,

Just to put you in the picture, The spectator may deal the cards so you are hands off. Please beaware that the discription is 100% what the spec will see and remember. The effect is really cool. I performed it at one of my gigs last Wednesday and it went down a storm!

Regards

Peter
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Thanks for clearing that up Peter.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Guys,

All pre orders of Ascension will be dispatched on or before the 16th July.

Peter
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Just a heads up guys. All pre-orders of Ascension are now all packed and ready to be shipped out on Monday. We now have stock in store!

Regards

Peter
tommid
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of tommid
Well.. is that meant to be a demo or an arty f*rty film clip?
It doesn't really show the trick does it?
Seems to me the trick is 90% in the spectator picking the card... so , can they deal the whole pack face up if they like until they decide on a card? To say it is totally hands off at this stage then the answer MUST be yes ?
I`m not into pre-ordering .. I did that with eliminator ..... and in my opinion that was a terrible effect . Only my opinion of course
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Quote:
On 2007-06-16 08:14, Christopher Williams wrote:
Ascension is carefully hand made to be both durable and reliable out of Bicycle stock playing cards

Ah, Bicycle stock. Splendid.
mjeayres
View Profile
New user
UK
94 Posts

Profile of mjeayres
Sorry, but I was not too impressed with this one. I think the main thing that fell flat for me, was not the effect so much as the DVD. It didn't even look as though it was planned at all. No structure, and even with props in hand took me a couple of 2 minutes to work out what was going on. Now, I realise that is not a complicated trick but the handling certainly needed more explanation. It really didn't sell the effect at all or indeed explain it very well.
Magic Fingers
View Profile
New user
Blackpool, UK
68 Posts

Profile of Magic Fingers
Any reviews on this? If it is practical and as fair as the decription says this is a must have.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I think this is practical and the description is accurate.

The selection process is about as fair as you can possibly get.

And, the card rise looks good. Perhaps not as smooth or under control as a Devano card rise, but I'm probably being nitpicky.

The DVD also explains how to show the outjogged card and fairly (?) remove it from the deck for examination.

This is a very good version of the "any card named (actually chosen) card rise". The DVD / explanation is relatively brief but thorough, IMO.

Robert
Magic Fingers
View Profile
New user
Blackpool, UK
68 Posts

Profile of Magic Fingers
Thanks Robert.

I am surprised by the lack of response on this trick. I think I will end up purchasing this but I really wanted to know how this would fit in to a working routine for example can the decks be used for other tricks after this effect? Like the idea of any card named rising if you can't be bothered bringing out another deck. Any other reviews would be great though before I go ahead with the purchase.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Now that I've had time to experiment with it, I've decided that the gimmick is not as practical as I had hoped. It's still a great idea - never seen anything like it. I mean... a four way rising card?

And, I think that the forcing procedure is about as fair as you can get. Nothing new method-wise, but I think that the spectator will truly believe that he had a completely free choice.

Sadly, the gimmick is hard to handle. You have to have a very firm grip on the deck or the card will shoot out. Plus, the gaff leaves a gap on the side of the deck. For these reasons, I will probably stick with my Devano Card Rise.

Robert