The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: XL by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
A new effect from Jay Sankey where a freely selected card is placed between 2 jokers and is then made to stretch/grow in size. Everything is examinable.

Check it out: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/xl-by-jay-......4c028a1a
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Aldo has a similar effect. I guess all one has to do nowadays is dig out old vhs tapes and release these little gems under a different name.
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Where can one find the Aldo effect?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Am I missing something? As soon as he took the rubberbanded card from his pocket, you could see a Queen sticking out in between them. I don't get it.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Quote:
On 2006-12-21 11:34, Ibd1Mon99 wrote:
Am I missing something? As soon as he took the rubberbanded card from his pocket, you could see a Queen sticking out in between them. I don't get it.

A discrepancy I believe.

That's very sharp of you, but then again, you are a magician!

Take care buddy,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
I noticed it too... I also noticed that, although 'any card (could)' be touched' it was still forced.

Derek Merdinyan
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
I agree with Logan. We might not be fooled, but I think this would fry laymen. Especially since they can examine the cards before and after the effect.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Wait wait wait. You're saying Jay Sankey released an effect?

FINALLY!

--Josh
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

Profile of Jesse Feinberg
Heh??? He's released a couple of new ones just this past month...

This looks like it would fry laymen for sure! Also, the demo might not be as good as a live performance. The gaff(s) it comes with must be pretty cool... I'd like to here some reviews, and go from there. Im going to watch that demo again... -Jesse
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I thought we were supposed to entertain them not fry them!
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Quote:
On 2006-12-21 15:41, Tom Bartlett wrote:
I thought we were supposed to entertain them not fry them!

Good point. Look at the way we talk about our audiences these days: we want to "kill them," "fry them," "slay them," "blow them away." We want crack their skulls (Skullkracker).

Honestly, we have no respect for them at all.

--Josh
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Actually, I wasn't looking at it as a magician. I always save THAT for the second viewing of a demo. It was just very hard to miss, magician or not. I thought he was showing the Queen intentionally and was then going to pull a "gotcha" with a really huge card.

This one won't be on my short list, my long list, or even the list I throw in the trash. Smile I like Sankey. I have a ton of his stuff. This one just doesn't go anywhere.

Jeff
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

Getting "fried" can be a good thing too! Smile
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
YUP! I love it when I get fried. It's always the really simple stuff that gets me though because I'm not on my guard. Like I wrote on another thread, I've been using an invisible Deck for 20 years, but someone with a clever routine using an ID will totally fry me....then I want to hide in the corner Smile
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

I was totally fried by a version of the monte. I know how it works now, but the method is still hard to completely picture and explain. I love that kinda stuff! XL isn't that to us maybe, but to a lay person, this effect might still be a murderous blood bath. Red rum, red rum! haha
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
I also enjoyed being "fried" by a "killer" effect, or blown away by an outstanding performance!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Personally, I think that the handling looks awkward--where the right hand covers the cards' short ends closest to the body immediately before "stretching" the queen. I prefer Gary Plants' Longer and Leaner.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17421 Posts

Profile of joseph
But does it "fry"?... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Peter Kane created the original version and a number of other versions followed. Will this version fry? There's no way to know the answer to that question without performing it in the real world, but the question that should be asked in my opinion is, "which version will fry the most?" Another question some magicians might want to ask and answer is, "what's the reason for stretching the card?" My initial thought is to stretch the queen as a demonstration of how the "rack" was used to torture people in the Middle Ages.
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
One could even say "that was sick"
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people