The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Sudden Impact by Cameron Francis "Full 52" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Hi magi's

I have been one of those that has waited for this for a loooong time now and it's finally here.

I've had this for a couple of weeks, still practicing have not performed yet but here are some thoughts:

The DVD case is really cool I like how it's layed out. Easy navigation throughout. Although annoyingly everytime I press the menu button on my remote it takes me to the extras section?

Production value is really nice hi0def just what you would expect from Full52.

Everything is shot in-studio, no "real-world" performances which I like but would have also liked to see some reactions from it but doesn't matter.

Anyway you receive the necessary gimmicks to perform the effect, One gimmick is ready made for a red back bicycle deck and one extra non made gimmick. (Sorry but if I say to much about the gimmick, I would be revealing). I really wish that the set ready made was a J***r but doesn't matter just a necessary adjustment and you are set to go. Making a set of gimmicks should not be hard at all just some basic supplies which every magician should have laying around. Just to let you know you can't perform all the routines barely any on the disc with the gimmick supplied small negative detail there.

From the start off, there is no gimmick INSTALLED in the card case you can set the "gimmick" and take it out from the card case as you please. One tip I don't see mentioned in the DVD is with a little thinking you can make one set with red and blue backs (if you don't understand and have the DVD pm me and I'll go a little more in-depth).

Before I get onto the routines let me say that the actual change is quite stunning, think a little more impromptu than Wow by Masuda:D. Very easy to do the change and getting into the change. There is a small discrepancy in the change but you don't even notice it until Cameron says it on the DVD. (You can go watch the trailer a thousand times you won't find it Smile.)

Onto the routines:

Sudden Impact: "A random card visually transforms into a signed selection"

There is a link to the complete performance:

http://full52.com/sudden_impact.htm

This is the original routine Cameron had though of when he created the gimmick for sudden impact. Some small discrepancies but I'm sure they will fly by layman. I don't think this one is for me. I'm sure I will try it with a modified handling to suit myself but not my favorite on disc. If you like what you see then you'll like the dvd.

Passin Thru: "A selection visually passes through another card in the case"

This is a weird and bold approach with the gimmicks. I like the patter and it really does what it says it does. I will definitely try this one out.

Colour Correct: "The back of a card changes from red to blue"

Think Chicago Opener in reverse sort of. Basically they call out the only red card in a blue deck but you correct it by placing it in the case and changing it back to blue. Em you have to make a set of gimmick just to perform this effect but it might be worthwhile. I'll try it.

All Business: A selected card visually changes into your business card.

Wow! There is a complete performance set up on the full 52 site link:

http://full52.com/sudden_impact.htm

Great trick this is the one that caught my attention. I really like this. I think this is a great way to hand out your business card. Probably one of the most visual changes using the gimmicks. Great from their selected card appearing in the case transforming to your business card greaaat.

Really Wild: A cased Joker visually changes to complete a Royal Flush"

I don't really understand why you would want a royal flush I don't know of any effec that could follow it or what? Cameron when would you bring this in a routine? Beginning, middle end? I don't think this is for me. I'm not much of poker presentations. Certainly not my favorite. This one feels sort of like a filler?

Sudden thought: "A cased card visually changes to a thought of card"

This is probably the only routine I can do with the ready made gimmick. The card is really peeked not though of but I guess the impression that the spectator gets bla bla. Good routine something I see myself using a lot.

Bonus: Sudden Waltz (Two signed cards are visually fused together inside the card case)

Nice take on the Anniversary Waltz approach utilizing the gimmicks. Nice routine although it takes away from the spectators holding the cards and "feeling" their cards fsuing since the change is happening in the card case but good nonetheles. I don't understand why this is considered a bonus routine, I know it was included later after filming the Dvd so it is probably that.

That's it for the routines.

There is a small thing I would have liked there to be a sort of introduction. Instead of the introduction being part of the explanation of the original sudden impact routine I would have liked that to be a separate chapter.

Also another section on constructiong the gimmick. I know the gimmick is simple to make and self-explanatory but still it would have been nice to see the man himself contructing a gimmick in case of any tips or details like in encased.

In conclusion I really enjoyed the DVD. It is typical Cameron material. This is certainly not my favorite of all the one's he has made but it is still good. If you like the demo and the description of the effects you will not be disappointed.

It would be great if later we could get some contributions form diff people or from Cameron himself for ways they are using their gimmicks. I have some ideas but that is for another time.

If you are still reading this review and it helped you out please show some appreciation, took quite a while to write it all down!

Any questions let me know,

Ricky
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
^^ I posted the same review in the Review section of the DVD'S.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Hi! Thanks for the review! Couple of thoughts:

You don't have to use a Joker to perform the original routine or the Waltz routine on the dvd. Any card will work for most routines on the disc. There are only two routines you need a specific card for: Really Wild and Colour Correct.

I go over the red and blue back thing on the dvd. The back of the card doesn't matter as it's never seen.

Regarding making new gimmicks, I use tape, not glue as it's easy to transfer one to the other. Should have mentioned this on the disc. I assume it would be obviously how to make new gimmicks but you know what they say about assuming... Smile

The Royal Flush demonstration is just that, a pseudo demonstration of skill. Like cutting to Aces.

One handling I didn't include is the classic, "And here's your card!... Not your card? No problem, let me put it in my card changer." However, you can do a routine as simple as that with the gimmick. Basically, if you have a routine you like doing with Wow, you can do it with Sudden Impact.

The point is, it's a utility gimmick. There are many uses for it. I only go over a few ideas on the dvd.

I think Dave included Sudden Waltz as a bonus because it was shot at the last minute. Wasn't originally intended to be on the dvd.

Thanks again for the review! Smile
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Realized my back color comments were a little vague. What I meant to say was, the back of your gimmick doesn't matter. It's never seen. You could use a red backed gimmick in a blue case or vice versa. This makes the gimmick very versatile.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
james1234
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of james1234
Great effect, so simple and looks absolutely stunning all the tricks are excellent, personally I have great fun performing this and will be using this all the time, highly recommended Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I did a search on this and found all these incredible review from some very knowledgeable magicians, including Mr. Peter Duffie.
Out of nowhere Cameron sent out an e-mail to his list and had this killer sale on the combo of Sudden Impact and Fresh Mint dvd's, so I grabbed it.

Sudden Impact is as incredible as the reviews. When I opened the dvd case I smiled. There it is, ready to go. Once you know it, you can make it up for any brand/card used.

I put the dvd in and followed along and of course it looks as good as the demo. I just keep doing the change over and over and over for myself. lol. If you get this, you'll use it!

Bravo, Mr. Franics!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I watched the rest f the DVD and it's loaded with great ideas. The gimmick is very versatile.

I think I'm going to stick with the the basic idea. That visual change of the indifferent card with their signed card is so dramatic. I lost count on how many times I did for myself.

Road test tomorrow!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Thanks, Zombie. Sudden Impact kind of flew under the radar when it came out but it got really good reviews including a nice one in Genii. It's a very versatile utility gimmick. I don't have any left but it can be found at full52.com or most major magic dealers.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7604 Posts

Profile of RNK
Hey guys- another of Cameron's DVD that flew under the radar that I would highly recommend checking out is Exchange Rate!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I got mine from Cameron, but if you're interested, Penguin has it in stock:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11873
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Exchange Rate flew so far under the radar, I think it's hovering about four feet off the ground in Cleveland right now. But it's one of those things that people really like when I lecture.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2012-09-10 18:09, Cameron Francis wrote:
Exchange Rate flew so far under the radar, I think it's hovering about four feet off the ground in Cleveland right now. But it's one of those things that people really like when I lecture.

That should be a lesson for anyone producing magic effects/dvds. Exchange Rate had one of the worst demos ever, with a ton of cuts and no full performance. Hence, no one wanted it.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa9mI2N7sUQ

But when they see it in person, they're big fans.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Lol. I don't even know what they heck I was watching.