The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Tricolour by Simon Lipkin & The 1914 (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
141 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Quote:
On May 1, 2024, alexK wrote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2024, spudster85 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2024, magicmind wrote:
My questions above are the only thing keeping me on the fence. We all know other methods, but are these manufactured caps or just clever m@#$kin$s? Therefore that leaves us with the tutorial. if caps are something easily made, should you lose one...the tutorial is what's worth the $$ or not. Earth shattering routines and thoughts like some of the 1914's have been...or not?

It is incredibly difficult to answer this without exposure. I don't believe one would be able to replicate or DIY if one lost one of these gimmicks.

Strange, I think it's easy to make them yourself if you know how they work and you're average at DIY. For me, I could easily make one for a fourth color.

I do know how they work. I guess your DIY skills are better than mine! Once again, I don't want to go into specifics, but I'm not sure how one could possibly make the modifications and it not appear as a doctored piece. That, imo, is the beauty of the gimmicks. They, under the hard scrutiny, do not appear as gimmicked.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3267 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I think you would have to be remarkably skilled in DIY to make such an undetectable and innocent looking gimmick. Best just to buy as well as support Simon with this fine and versatile release.

Neil
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3279 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On May 1, 2024, NeilS wrote:
I think you would have to be remarkably skilled in DIY to make such an undetectable and innocent looking gimmick. Best just to buy as well as support Simon with this fine and versatile release.

Neil

My intent is to support. However, if this is a (could have been a download) type effect....OR a lose a gimmick and your screwed....OR you can/cannot make a fourth color.I have the right to ask questions without necessarily supporting this release. See my previous post again.
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
141 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Quote:
On May 1, 2024, magicmind wrote:
Quote:

My intent is to support. However, if this is a (could have been a download) type effect....OR a lose a gimmick and your screwed....OR you can/cannot make a fourth color.I have the right to ask questions without necessarily supporting this release. See my previous post again.

This is not a "could have been a download" effect. It is reliant upon gimmicks, which are not, as far as I can see, DIY. I am pretty crafty and this is not something I could make. Could one create other means of achieving the same results, maybe. But, I don't see that working as cleanly as this design. So a fourth color is perhaps obtainable, but it won't be as clean and perfected as the initial three by any means.

Any effect that loses the gimmick is screwed. Try performing S&S without one of the gimmicked pieces. It simply doesn't work. An invisible deck without a "real" follow-up deck certainly does become the namesake.

I hope that clears up the questions you've asked.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3279 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2024, magicmind wrote:
Quote:

This is not a "could have been a download" effect. It is reliant upon gimmicks, which are not, as far as I can see, DIY. I am pretty crafty and this is not something I could make. Could one create other means of achieving the same results, maybe. But, I don't see that working as cleanly as this design. So a fourth color is perhaps obtainable, but it won't be as clean and perfected as the initial three by any means.

Any effect that loses the gimmick is screwed. Try performing S&S without one of the gimmicked pieces. It simply doesn't work. An invisible deck without a "real" follow-up deck certainly does become the namesake.

I hope that clears up the questions you've asked.

Many thanks for your reply. That's what I needed to hear. Also, well aware of effects losing gimmicks, but in this case it could have been a DIY, so that was out of context a bit.
SimonLipkin
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of SimonLipkin
Hey there, I teach you how to make a 4th gimmick if you want one. But for what it’s worth I really don’t think it’s necessary at all. But you can quite easily modify a normal sharpie to obtain the 4th. My original gimmicks were made by an ILM special effects designer who needed quite specific things to make them. So I’d say these aren’t a DIY gimmick. I’d like to think the value comes from the quality of the gimmicks alongside the multiple routines and effects that you can achieve with them. So it definitely couldn’t have just been a dowload…..and boy oy boy do I like making downloads for people.

But you’re so right to ask questions. Magic is expensive! I’m a constant buyer so I like to know what I’m getting. So please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you need!

Si
eb02
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of eb02
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2024, magicmind wrote:
My questions above are the only thing keeping me on the fence. We all know other methods, but are these manufactured caps or just clever m@#$kin$s? Therefore that leaves us with the tutorial. if caps are something easily made, should you lose one...the tutorial is what's worth the $$ or not. Earth shattering routines and thoughts like some of the 1914's have been...or not?

It is incredibly difficult to answer this without exposure. I don't believe one would be able to replicate or DIY if one lost one of these gimmicks.

The cups are special made, not somthing you can do DIY...
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
eb02
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of eb02
Hi
I would like to add another issue that no one spoke about.
The envelopes are Black color... why Black? does anyone use Black envelopes in real life...?
When I see Black envelope, I think it's magic prop...
I think there were supposed to be Brown as most common envelopes...

I am thinking to use my Q4 wallet (which can do 8 o..s) instead of using these envelopes.
This will allow a really free color choose
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
No, but there is a psychological side to using black envelopes as people have a belief that they are less see through. Might be minor, but little deceptions add up. We think magic, not sure how much the general public care. The plastic reusable envelopes, on the other hand, I think do send off warning flares...
AJMagic2024
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of AJMagic2024
I bought this and I think its great! The gimmicked pen caps are well made and the tutorials and routines are well worth it. My only issue is the envelopes as one poster mentioned. Black is not ideal and it makes it hard to spot the markings but with a bit of pocket management I am sure its only a minor issue.

I do like the stuff the 1914 put out, I have the orphic wallet and use it all the time.

Very pleased with my purchase.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3279 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On May 2, 2024, SimonLipkin wrote:
Hey there, I teach you how to make a 4th gimmick if you want one. But for what it’s worth I really don’t think it’s necessary at all. But you can quite easily modify a normal sharpie to obtain the 4th. My original gimmicks were made by an ILM special effects designer who needed quite specific things to make them. So I’d say these aren’t a DIY gimmick. I’d like to think the value comes from the quality of the gimmicks alongside the multiple routines and effects that you can achieve with them. So it definitely couldn’t have just been a dowload…..and boy oy boy do I like making downloads for people.

But you’re so right to ask questions. Magic is expensive! I’m a constant buyer so I like to know what I’m getting. So please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you need!

Si

This is exactly what I neded to know. My next order will be this. Thanks Si!!
Smile
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
The general public sees various colors of envelopes all the time with greeting cards. They come in all sorts of colors, and you can also buy gift card envelopes online in a bunch of different colors easily on Amazon. A black envelope is no more suspicious than a white or kraft envelope, IMHO.
Kevin Reylek
eb02
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of eb02
Quote:
On May 3, 2024, Mercury52 wrote:
The general public sees various colors of envelopes all the time with greeting cards. They come in all sorts of colors, and you can also buy gift card envelopes online in a bunch of different colors easily on Amazon. A black envelope is no more suspicious than a white or kraft envelope, IMHO.

I agree that you can find different colored envelopes online but why not go with the most common color...?
Also someone comment that it's hard to mark or see the mark on a Black envelope...
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3279 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Black envelope...thumbnail scratch or pencil mark or nail nic. Easy.

Use any color you like.
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
141 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Received mine a couple days ago. After watching the instructional prior to receiving, I was working with these out of the box. Super easy. Super well made. I really like this. This is so far my favorite purchase of the year. It is one of those gimmicks that is handled so freely by the spectator that nothing is detectable.

As far as the envelopes, if a spectator is questioning the color of the envelopes, you've messed up. Same idea as a neon green TT. If one uses an alternate color dot system to mark, as described in the instructions, there should be no problem viewing the mark. In fact, a black envelope would make it easier to spot. To me, the brown envelopes looked off. They're not kraft material, so I think it gains attention. The black look sleek and like something a magician would carry in their pocket. Ultimately, I use bright vibrant colors for my prediction envelopes in other effects. Swapping in a set of envelopes to match my other rountines is standard practice for me.

Overall, I would not let envelopes deter from purchasing Tricolour. I was worried about this effect following the ways of the discussed other effects in this thread. That is simply not the case, at all. Mr. Lipkin and the 1914 have a solid effect here.
Memoryzero
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Memoryzero
This is very very good but it’s definitely easy to make DIY.
A magician friend showed me his set yesterday and he has already made 3 more which looked perfect to me.
Having said that I think it’s well worth the price for the routines.
My mate loves it and I have to agree.
He said the tutorial is excellent and the effects he showed me proved that.
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
Not that it’s much, but my opinion on the DIY caps topic is that you can create a pretty similar gimmick at home. Fortunately I did purchase Tricolour so while I waited for the gimmicks I decided to try and create something to practice with. I wouldn’t say I have excellent arts and crafts skills, but I’ve had my fair share in it. After going through what seamed like 2 dozen caps I did come up with something that I can read. And they’re not terrible imo. But like I said, they were just to practice with until I got the actual gimmicks in hand. Which btw are very clever. I’m also very satisfied with the purchase. It’s one of those ( why didn’t I think of that ) moments.

I also like the idea of combining two of the routines together. The prediction followed by the pocket routine I think would generate a decent reaction. ( didn’t want to use the actual names of the routines for secrecy purposes ) I have not performed this live yet. But I definitely will be.
corindaman
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Quote:
On May 10, 2024, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
Not that it’s much, but my opinion on the DIY caps topic is that you can create a pretty similar gimmick at home. Fortunately I did purchase Tricolour so while I waited for the gimmicks I decided to try and create something to practice with. I wouldn’t say I have excellent arts and crafts skills, but I’ve had my fair share in it. After going through what seamed like 2 dozen caps I did come up with something that I can read. And they’re not terrible imo. But like I said, they were just to practice with until I got the actual gimmicks in hand. Which btw are very clever. I’m also very satisfied with the purchase. It’s one of those ( why didn’t I think of that ) moments.

I also like the idea of combining two of the routines together. The prediction followed by the pocket routine I think would generate a decent reaction. ( didn’t want to use the actual names of the routines for secrecy purposes ) I have not performed this live yet. But I definitely will be.

Same for me, I am a retired Dental Tech, so used to making vey small items and I still have the right material and tools to be able to create up to six (any more and they might be noticible ) However its the Routines and potential for further work which is the delight of this product. Highly recommended.
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
349 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
Simon was kind enough to show me this in person the other day at the Magic Circle and it’s great. I highly recommend this to a prospective buyer of ‘mentalism with ordinary stuff’. I’ve not finished watching all the instructional videos yet but the ones I have are well thought out routines. There’s so much potential to come up with your own routines with these too.
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk
alexK
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of alexK
Does anyone know where I can get the same brown Tyvek envelopes that Simon uses in the explanation?
I just like them more than the black ones. (my personal preference)