The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Any Thought of Card to Pocket by Geraint Clarke & Christian Grace (109 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
marcobasi
View Profile
New user
italy
47 Posts

Profile of marcobasi
Flash review
in favor: excellent effect for the audience, very reasoned by the authors, construction and presentation rich in detail and intelligence, the disappearance and finding of the thought card is very powerful. The remaining 9 cards can be shown with some cleverness.
Cons: For old, seasoned magicians it is a reduction in tenths of MPD.
best
m
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2207 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2023, pegasus wrote:
I’m not a fan of effects that teach you 850 different variations of the same trick in order to justify the high pricing. Just teach the core method and concentrate on that alone in the tutorial.

100% this.

Teach the effect clearly at the start then give me the option to watch the rest.
Far too many tutorials recently go over the same thing 4 or 5 times.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1706 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Yes! One or two routines with great lines [with permission to use of course] make a project worth it to me.
I could'nt watch 4 hours!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
influentialist
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of influentialist
I love projects with 4 or 5 hours teaching.

I agree, however, the basic info should be available in the initial video in a concise tutorial. The remainder can be dipped into at your leisure and shouldn't be necessary to perform the effect as-sold.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
AFA teaching an effect, whenever you have two people teaching an effect you are going to run into some problems 99% of the time. There are going to be nearly constant interruptions, digressions, unfinished thoughts, inside jokes, and the list goes on and on. The goal seems to quickly change from teaching the effect to them having a good time. I guess the theory being that if they have a good time then their audience will too. True perhaps for performing, not so much for teaching.

And I’ve said this a hundred times but why can’t producers include a single page of bullet point instructions that cover the main points? It would cost them less than a penny. So pass along the cost to the consumer, I’ll gladly pay!
Something printed like in the old days that you could quickly refer back to a few months later just to refresh your memory on the set up or basic handling. You ever tried to find a single piece of information in a 2 to 4 hour tutorial?

I recently needed to remind myself of how to know when a certain electronic magic prop was fully charged. OMG, it took me half a day! Only to find out it was never mentioned anyway because the person about to describe it was interrupted by his co-host. Aaargghh!
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
I often make bullet-pointed "quicknotes" for myself but I agree this would be nice if dealers would provide such a thing!

As for this effect, I'd love just a short over-the-shoulder cam of the initial setup and basic routine mechanics. As it stands, there's an awful lot of bantering and dispersions one has to make it through, spread out over several sections, to get the necessary information.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2023, AutarchicFlux wrote:
I often make bullet-pointed "quicknotes" for myself but I agree this would be nice if dealers would provide such a thing!

As for this effect, I'd love just a short over-the-shoulder cam of the initial setup and basic routine mechanics. As it stands, there's an awful lot of bantering and dispersions one has to make it through, spread out over several sections, to get the necessary information.

I hear you guys. Some people want to cut right to the chase - and if they're intermediate, don't need to be drowned in basics.

I've just added a new video to your accounts automatically. A quick 5-minute run-through called 'MagicCafeBulletPointOverview'.

It discusses what you get, what the orientation needs to be and how to spread for the vanish. You'll have an email about it, so follow that link or go into your Ellusinonist account to watch it.

I just woke up to these concerns, so thought I'd film it on my laptop whilst having my morning coffee.

I appreciate all the buyers so far, so if you're still not sure, tell me what you need and I'll get it answered for you on asap.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2207 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2023, GeraintClarke wrote:
Quote:

I hear you guys. Some people want to cut right to the chase - and if they're intermediate, don't need to be drowned in basics.

I've just added a new video to your accounts automatically. A quick 5-minute run-through called 'MagicCafeBulletPointOverview'.

It discusses what you get, what the orientation needs to be and how to spread for the vanish. You'll have an email about it, so follow that link or go into your Ellusinonist account to watch it.

I just woke up to these concerns, so thought I'd film it on my laptop whilst having my morning coffee.

I appreciate all the buyers so far, so if you're still not sure, tell me what you need and I'll get it answered for you on asap.

That's service.

Well done for listening.
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Good listening is right!
Mike the Magician
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Good job with the brief 5 minute version.
Mike the Magician
dismany
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of dismany
Quote:
Quote:

Wow that's excellent service.
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
Quote:

This is a great compliment to the longer instructional video and was needed in this case. Thank you so much!
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2023, AutarchicFlux wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is a great compliment to the longer instructional video and was needed in this case. Thank you so much!

Absolutely no problem at all. Took me 5 minutes over a coffee. Glad to see you all happy.

If I could be cheeky, are you able to leave a review on the product page, please? https://ellusionist.com/products/any-tho......o-pocket

We've sold over 1,000, but only have 13 reviews - I think it helps future customers to hear about your experience with E and the trick.

Many thanks,

- G
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
I can and will! Can the new shorter video also be made available for download?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
I think this is mentioned in the tutorial but probably worth mentioning again is that there is some audience management that you need to be aware of.
A lot of us perform primarily for family, friends, co-workers, etc. who typically can be a bit more lively shall we say.
Also, be aware that people who do not play cards or ever handle cards may not necessarily spread the cards in a nice tight fan even though you are demonstrating to them exactly what you’d like them to do.

My first 2 experiences with this did not go well. First time I showed my wife and a friend of hers together and her friend was holding the cards and when I asked her to think of one of the cards she separated the fan to show my wife the cards and ask her which one she should think of. This was done in a very playful way but nonetheless I was immediately busted. I felt like I got out of it fairly well by some fast talking and quickly moving on to another card trick.

So next day I’m having coffee and catching up with an old friend and decide to try it again, this time being sure to try and get them to spread the cards just enough to see them and then think of one. Well, as magicians we don’t think of simply holding a few cards to even be considered a sleight, but I guess to someone who hasn’t held playing cards in decades keeping them in a tight fan is not a natural thing to do so they spread the cards too far and start looking at them one by one and once again I’m busted before I even get out of the gate. But never fear, I’m now more determined than ever to keep doing this until I actually get to finish the dang trick.

I don’t mention this as a negative because I still really like the effect, but merely as a reminder that you need to be aware of some things. Since I’m now admittedly a bit gunshy I’m thinking of first handing them a few random cards and asking them to pretend that it’s a hand in poker that they've been dealt and saying that just by the way they hold their cards and look them over I can tell a lot about them. This way I may have a better sense of what kind of person I’m dealing with and hopefully it conditions them to behave how I want them to. But I’m certainly open to suggestions if anyone else has run into this.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2264 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
"Do as I do."

Or, honestly, this might play just as well as the original handling:

Be exceedingly fair and count 10 cards yourself as you ask them to count with you. Then, flip them face up, fan them out, have them think of one, then take all the face up cards and directly hand them the cards to hold onto. It's still impossible, they saw you count and hand them 10 cards and you don't know the card they're thinking of yet it's the one that vanishes.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2023, PatrickGregoire wrote:
"Do as I do."

Or, honestly, this might play just as well as the original handling:

Be exceedingly fair and count 10 cards yourself as you ask them to count with you. Then, flip them face up, fan them out, have them think of one, then take all the face up cards and directly hand them the cards to hold onto. It's still impossible, they saw you count and hand them 10 cards and you don't know the card they're thinking of yet it's the one that vanishes.

Videoman. I think this suggestion is brilliant to get some practice in ^ ... it's how I started when I was developing it.

Also, maybe try the marked deck version to get a feel for it, as the faces can be fully seen.

- G
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
P.s. I just wanna say, videoman, you are a true magician.

Willing to try. Willing to fail & willing to practice.

And instead of s****ing on the trick, you came here for advice - and weren't discouraged.

Let me know if you need a videoman videocall with me and I'd be happy to talk through anything I can help with.

- G
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
797 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
G -

I have watched E with dismay for the last couple of years. But I have to say that if this is how you and Ellusionist are going to start interacting with and treating your customers, I hope you come roaring back with a vengeance.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2023, CardGuyMike wrote:
G -

I have watched E with dismay for the last couple of years. But I have to say that if this is how you and Ellusionist are going to start interacting with and treating your customers, I hope you come roaring back with a vengeance.

Thanks Mike. I joined in Ellusionist my early 20's - full of bravado, ego, zero experience - an argumentative tw*t if we're being honest, as all 20-somethings are.

Now I'm in my early-30's, more well-read, battle-scared, less ego and more experienced. After taking over as Ellusioist CEO, the change I'm bringing about is making the company what I want it to be - and not the caricature I thought it had to be.

- G