The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Fortuity by David Jonathan & Alakazam Magic (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2069 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
To all Fortuity owners:

A new video I had filmed has been added to the registered product page on Alakazam's website!

This video was supposed to be on the DVD, but due to an error, it didn't make it on.

It covers some very important handling explanations and scenarios, so if you own Fortuity, please make sure you register your product (using the code Peter mentions at the beginning of the DVD) on alakazam.co.uk so you can access this video.

I will also be filming and uploading another video next week with a quick tip that addresses how to "break in" the deck to make sure the cards are handling perfectly, and will report back here when that 2nd video is live.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
TuneHV,

I emailed Alakazam about getting a second deck with a different outcome. I was told that at this time there aren't any second decks available with a different outcome.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2069 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Algebraic- hmm, that's the first I'm hearing of this as I was told Alakazam can accommodate those requests.

If anyone is interested in a second deck, PM me as I possibly may be able to help out in the coming weeks.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
Recoplon
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of Recoplon
I am curious of what deck is the back design for the reveal from? I mean in the long performance video from David Jonathan. I like the look of it.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2069 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On May 6, 2017, Recoplon wrote:
I am curious of what deck is the back design for the reveal from? I mean in the long performance video from David Jonathan. I like the look of it.

In that particular deck, the reveal card is from a Medallion deck by Theory11. Beautiful cards. https://store.theory11.com/products/medallion-playing-cards
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
IanB
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby
262 Posts

Profile of IanB
This looks to me as if it's the same methodology as Nomen Omen by David Acer released by Camirand?

Updated with a rainbow deck and single prediction though. I could be wrong?

Nice idea and a fooler.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2069 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On May 7, 2017, IanB wrote:
This looks to me as if it's the same methodology as Nomen Omen by David Acer released by Camirand?

Updated with a rainbow deck and single prediction though. I could be wrong?

Nice idea and a fooler.

Fortuity is different from Nomen Omen, Duel Match, Detour de Force and others as, for me, the primary aspect of Fortuity is that it's the only one in which the DIRECT selection matches your prediction. With Nomen Omen, your prediction(s) only match the other side of the card selected. While part of the methodology is similar to Nomen Omen, there are significant advancements and differences in the way the deck is constructed.

Obviously Detour de Force and the others that followed were a huge influence and inspiration for Fortuity and are credited on the DVD.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6781 Posts

Profile of videoman
Recently got this and just wanted to say that I do like it very much.
It is VERY well made and works perfectly. You can show all the cards so fairly and openly and the specs have absolutely free choices throughout.

Two things I really love about it are:

1. It does use a gaffed deck but because it is a rainbow backed deck you have perfect justification to bring it into play and then exchange it afterwards if you wish to do more card effects. So you can perform it at any time in your set without having to use any deck switches.

2. You don't have to use the dice. They can roll imaginary dice which means you have less little props to carry around, keep track of, and possibly lose.

Oh, and a third thing is it is a very nice touch that they can choose to count from either the top or bottom of the deck (free choice) and you can show that if they had selected the opposite they would have landed on a different card. NICE!!!

I would recommend Fortuity highly if this type of effect appeals to you and I congratulate David Jonathan for releasing such a high quality effect that works straight out of the box and requires no arts and crafts (rare these days.)
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Got mine today, was disappointed that it was basically a variation of Thought Wave Extreme that I got from Alakazam last year - and TWE doesn't use R&S which I always have an issue with. Nicely thought out routine - nice variation of TWE (and Detour DeForce - which I also have) but not for me.
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Fero
Quote:
On May 18, 2017, DavidKenney wrote:
Got mine today, was disappointed that it was basically a variation of Thought Wave Extreme that I got from Alakazam last year - and TWE doesn't use R&S which I always have an issue with. Nicely thought out routine - nice variation of TWE (and Detour DeForce - which I also have) but not for me.

I own both of them (TWE and Fortuity).... personally I don't see any similarity between the two . They are two completely different effects!!
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
@Fero At it's simplest plot point

The spectator makes a free selection from the face up portion of the deck - draws a card
Then the spectator makes a free selection from the face down portion of the deck - draws a card
And it's revealed that the spectator's 2 free selections match the magicians prediction.

That is the plot of Fortuity, Thought Wave Extreme and DeTour De Force. IMO
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Fero
I m sorry but I disagree for the following reasons:
- TWE is a mentalist trick while Fortuity is a card trick.
- The gimmicks are completely different.
- The methods are different.
- the plots are different.
- the only thing they have in common is that both of them are wonderful tricks.
Salut
Fero
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6781 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 18, 2017, DavidKenney wrote:

Well, another example of how we all like different things. I wasn't a big fan of the provided method for TWE and in fact modified my deck so that it used the R&S principle. So I was glad to see Fortuity used a different method, although I was certain it did for a couple reasons mainly being the rainbow backed deck as I doubt it would be feasible to produce that with the TWE method. Granted, R&S makes the reset a bit more time consuming but reset is not a factor for me.

There is really a LOT going on with the Fortuity deck, it's actually pretty complicated for a deck of this type and I applaud David Jonathan for working out all the bugs on this.

But I do agree that the plots of these 2 effects have many similarities if broken down to their core components. Personally, I prefer Fortuity for several reasons.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have this now, and just love it!

It is so strong and so simple to perform. This is something I will definitely perform. I do something similar with a non-gaffed deck with all different backs, but I really like this much better. In fact, I often carry my version with me at all times, as it is more of a packet trick with about a dozen or more cards only. I got this effect from my buddy who is a regular performer at the Magic Castle. He carries this packet trick with him every day. Well, he had to go back home and create a new one since he gave me his when I paid for his lunch.

I am going to apply some of the patter from my non-gimmicked deck to this one. The patter is half the fun. My patter consists of talking about where I got some of the different cards. some seem real, others are just for humor. I got the patter from my Magic Castle buddy. Of course, I'm going to have to modify it a bit as the cards are different.

I guess my only criticism, if you could call it that, is I would have liked for the deck to contain more unusual cards that would lend themselves to more fun patter. On my un-gimmicked version, one of the cards is the "killer card" back with the "X"ed out dead man eyes. Another is a card with an image of a horse's head. These are examples of cards that clearly lend themselves to humorous patter. On the other hand, I did find some good humor in this deck.

One more thought: Others have mentioned performing this without the dice. IMO, The effect is much stronger without the dice. They are not needed. I think that was a pretty smart marketing tactic as it separates this from a zillion other "card" effects, and obviously it can be done with dice, but it's a much better effect without dice.

My head is spinning with ideas for this. Here is one that, granted, would take some work:

Put together an entire ungimmicked deck with different cards or purchase a rainbow deck.
Put the ungimmicked cards in "The Cooler" (deck switch).
Bring out the F deck under the premise of showing them your "card collection"
Bring out the envelope as an afterthought and do the effect.
Switch the decks and do a little ambitious card routine with their selected card, but from the regular deck. If you use a corner cut key card, you can make the effect really amazing, by spreading the deck and asking them if they see their card anywhere in the deck. They will see their card in the middle of the deck.
You could use a one-way force deck to replace that card and give it to them as a souvenir.

I realize the card back won't match, but that will likely fly right by most laypeople. (Wouldn't it be nice if you could get a one-way deck with the revelation card?)

You could even get them to carry the card with them always by telling them that you carry this "collection" deck with you at all times because every since you started carrying it, it has brought you very good fortune, and now you want them to have one of the cards from it.

KJ
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
2009 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Just got this a few days ago, what a wonderful routine !

Of course you need to carry just this deck for the effect but since it's a rainbow one, it's logical to have it.

I'm a big fan of Stolen Cards by Lennart Green, I do believe that if you do Fortuity, switch the deck, then Stolen Cards, you have a really nice routine with rainbow decks ! You wouldn't be doing it in a coktail situation but I can see places where this would be perfect !

A full review will be coming but I really really like this Smile
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6781 Posts

Profile of videoman
KJ, if you own some decks with various unusual backs as I do, it's not difficult to switch out several of the cards for ones you like better. I did that mainly for the reason you stated. I even switched out the main back design cards because the ones I received in my Fortuity deck were kind of bland IMO so I amped it up to something bolder and that I liked better.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2017, videoman wrote:
KJ, if you own some decks with various unusual backs as I do, it's not difficult to switch out several of the cards for ones you like better. I did that mainly for the reason you stated. I even switched out the main back design cards because the ones I received in my Fortuity deck were kind of bland IMO so I amped it up to something bolder and that I liked better.

The back designs on mine were bland as well, and I intend to swap some of them out as soon as I pick up some of the 'necessary something' to allow for that switch.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2069 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I'm very happy that everyone seems to be enjoying the effect!

If you plan to swap in other cards that fit your personality or script better, go for it. Without getting into too much detail on the method, I just recommend they have a white border on the design and are very close to standard bicycle face. PM me if you own it and I can go into more detail on the reasoning if need be.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6781 Posts

Profile of videoman
Very true about the white borders David. Which unfortunately eliminates a slew of great looking back designs.
And I also agree about the faces at the reveal being similar to standard faces. Not all of my faces are, but the majority are the same or pretty close.

Technically that shouldn't matter but I don't want a spec saying (or even worse not saying, but thinking) that sure it's the right suit and value but it doesn't look anything like the prediction. Which is more likely for them to think in this case since the back designs match spot on.
We as magicians know it doesn't change the effect at all, but specs can sometimes have an odd way of looking at things so I'd rather not give them any opportunity to question anything.

Still lovin' this effect by the way. Great release!
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2069 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Yes, it won't change any of the mechanics of the effect but helps with the displays of the deck
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -