The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Switch-A-Two by Mark Mason (64 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2024, Magic Mark wrote:
A comment in a Penguin review has me concerned... Are magnets a required part of the Switch-A-Two gimmick? Or, are magnets optional?

I have a cardiac pacemaker.

Mark

I own Switch-A-Two and there are no magnets in the device itself. However, there is a magnetic attachment which secures it, that you really need for everything to operate smoothly.
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Too busy performing to have more than
317 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
The magnet is optional. The device can be attached by other means, or just not at all. It really doesn't need to be attached which is all the magnetic part is for. Meaning to the pocket area. I use it in my suit jacket and don't attach it at all.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Thank you!

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I found Craig Petty's review and interview with Mark Mason. He shows the magnet on the inside of his jacket. It's a rather large bar type magnet. And it's placement looks like it would be pretty darn close to where my pacemaker is located.

I guess I'll wait until I see Mark Mason at Magic Live in August. Perhaps he'll let me handle one and I can get a better idea in the breast pocket of my own jacket.

Mark
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4194 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
The magnet is used to keep it at the ideal hight in your jacket pocket, however you can just put something in your pocket to raise it to the correct height if needed. At least one of my jackets it sits naturally at the ideal height but some of my jackets have a fairly deep pocket and so it needs raising slightly from the bottom of the pocket. I use the magnet in those but I could probably stuff a hanky in the bottom pocket if I didn’t want to use the magnet.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Too busy performing to have more than
317 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
There is a magnetic bar that is / can be used to secure the gimmick in place. Two magnets on the bar and two magnets on the gimmick. The bar does not need to be used. I did not remember there being any magnets on the gimmick, but there are. It seemed like it was just metal the magnetic the bar would lock to, like magnetic name tags. I don’t use the bar to secure the gimmick as my jacket works great without it. I also don’t have a pacemaker to make it an issue. I pulled it out and rewatched the video(s) tutorial. He clearly says if you have a pacemaker to not use this as it has strong magnets. Once again this could easily be modified to not use the magnets. The magnets are exposed meaning not molded into the gimmick.

The problem for Magic Mark, Mr. Chandue, is the pacemaker. You don’t need to use the bar to secure it, however the gimmick has two matching magnets to match the magnets on either end of the bar. Under the repairing the gimmick section in the tutorial(s) you can easily gain access to the magnets that are the other part of the way it is secured. I am sure those could be removed. They look like they might be just superglued onto the gimmick. Acetone and or a flat head screwdriver would do the trick I would guess without damaging the gimmick using a gentle hand.

Magic Mark if you are in no hurry, asking Mr. Mason at said Magic Live should reveal the answer(s) you need to be safe. He may know the best way to remove said magnets from the gimmick without damaging it. He may even be able to provide one that is part way through the production process without magnets ever installed.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I got a deal on a Switch-A-Two, it arrived today. It was quickly obvious that the magnets would be too close to my pacemaker (less than 6 inches). So, surgery time (the Switch-A-Two, not me). I peeled off the rubbery tape and used a thin screwdriver to pop out the magnets mounted to the main unit. I replaced the rubbery tape and, using double stick tape and rubber bands, attached an extension to the bottom of the unit (cut from thin plastic and sized for the pocket depth of my blue blazer. I also blacked out the top of the unit with a Sharpie.

It worked out perfectly. The unit sits at the correct height and the rubber bands provide a bit of grip to the inside of the pocket.

FWIW, the first magnet popped out easily. The second one was more stubborn and took out a small divot of plastic with it, also putting a very small crack in the unit. It does not affect the integrity of the unit nor the performance. All is fine!

Mark
sharpace
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of sharpace
Just got this. It is so good…..
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
231 Posts

Profile of funemagic
I looked but did not see anything about reset time with this. Would this be suitable for strolling magic?
danHumphrey
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of danHumphrey
Quote:
On May 15, 2024, funemagic wrote:
I looked but did not see anything about reset time with this. Would this be suitable for strolling magic?

Literally seconds