The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Capsize by Seth Race (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3088 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I’m sure you will hear it’s all about performance and calling attention to the right thing, etc. and it mostly is but if you perform for friends who want to touch everything my answer was an honest one.
joogy
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of joogy
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2023, Xcath1 wrote:
I’m sure you will hear it’s all about performance and calling attention to the right thing, etc. and it mostly is but if you perform for friends who want to touch everything my answer was an honest one.

Thank you, I appreciate your honesty. I'm merely a person who loves watching magic and occasionally performing to friends and family. I totally understand the concept of audience and spectator control, but with these type of tricks, I know someone will shout out, 'Let's see the cap', or ask for it to be turned over. I'm sure it will work for others.

Joogy
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey everyone. I would like to chip in as I created 6 of the routines on the project

With the routines I offer obviously because you are dealing with a slot box one coin is going to be retained in the cap. However a lot of my routines are working one ahead or one behind. This means nobody will suspect the cap. For example, if I am using four coins and I have a hidden fifth coin there is no heat on the cap. If I put four coins in the cap and produce my hidden fifth coin and then tip out the coins from the cap and they see three there is no heat on the cap. This isn’t audience management it’s common sense. The audience has apparently seen where the coin has gone so they are expecting three coins.l to be tipped out

At this point I can use this off best to secretly remove the extra coin from the cap (and there are a variety of ways to do this) at which point I can casually show the cap

I hope that makes sense. The caps are well made and I am so proud of being part of this project. There is so much you can do with them and the routines myself and Seth offer are literally the start. I guarantee there will be other routines coming soon from other creators

Thanks and any questions please let me know
MagoMerlino
View Profile
New user
Rome
10 Posts

Profile of MagoMerlino
Hi everyone, after watching the trailer I admit I fell in love with this trick!
My main concern is..can I use euro coins with the gimmick?

Thank you!

F.
Seth Kristopher Race
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Seth Kristopher Race
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2023, MagoMerlino wrote:

Thank you!

F.

Yes! The 5 Euro is compatible with Capsize. Happy to hear you’ve fallen in love with it ????

Other compatible coins are :
U.S. Quarter, U.S. Nickel
Canadian Quarter
U.K. 10p
MagoMerlino
View Profile
New user
Rome
10 Posts

Profile of MagoMerlino
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2023, Seth Kristopher Race wrote:
Quote:

Thank you!

F.

Yes! The 5 Euro is compatible with Capsize. Happy to hear you’ve fallen in love with it ????

Canadian Quarter
U.K. 10p

Hi Seth thank you for your reply.. however we don't have a 5 euro coin, so just to clarify, did you mean 5 cent euro? Smile
Seth Kristopher Race
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Seth Kristopher Race
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2023, MagoMerlino wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2023, Seth Kristopher Race wrote:
Quote:

Thank you!

F.

Canadian Quarter
U.K. 10p

Hi Seth thank you for your reply.. however we don't have a 5 euro coin, so just to clarify, did you mean 5 cent euro? Smile

Yup, that is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion, still trying to learn the proper way to describe foreign currency ????
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Too busy performing to have more than
317 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
I am just a little curious as to why the release date has been pushed back several times now. It is now showing September 13th. It was slated to ship Aug. 30, then Sept. 6, now Sept. 13.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2723 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Mine went out today.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
markthemagician
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of markthemagician
I received Capsize last week. And as much as I love the idea, and Craig’s routines are stellar…. I have found the gimmick a bit knacky…. For me, it was difficult to quickly and easily get the coin to sit properly. Just my 2 cents. I’m going to try some of Craig’s routines w a Copeland slot box and see how it compares in terms of execution and handling….
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2023, markthemagician wrote:
I received Capsize last week. And as much as I love the idea, and Craig’s routines are stellar…. I have found the gimmick a bit knacky…. For me, it was difficult to quickly and easily get the coin to sit properly. Just my 2 cents. I’m going to try some of Craig’s routines w a Copeland slot box and see how it compares in terms of execution and handling….

Could you not simply put a little mark on the cap to show where to load the coin ?
BarFly
View Profile
Regular user
I hate digging holes for
121 Posts

Profile of BarFly
Quote:

Same here. I’m going to play around with it some more, but I fear this is headed to the magic drawer for a quick death.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
861 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2023, BarFly wrote:
Quote:

Same here. I’m going to play around with it some more, but I fear this is headed to the magic drawer for a quick death.

Mine as well; it hardly ever holds the coin back. I am used to using a standard slot box this barely has a "lip" to hold the coin and it is in one spot. I must have received an early copy because mine is 3D printed as well but I don't think it looks noticeable at all.

I am going to go practice more.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
317 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
I have tried over a dozen different quarters. Neither cap will hold securely enough to every make me feel I could use this. Mine are pretty clearly the 3D printer version. Neither the red nor the black cap really hold the coin to where I would be comfortable using them live, ever. The black cap holds just slightly better than the red when and if they hold at all. They seem to do better when you are very, very, careful turning them over. That is when I have had the most success, if I have really had any. The idea is great, the execution of the gimmick, not so much. I can't fault the tutorial as it is well done. The gimmick in my opinion, at least the pair I received, are not up to the task.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
In watching Craig’s video above, he does deliberately place the coin in the slot and is careful when turning the loaded cap over. This is not at all a criticism, just an observation. So, some practice in the handling of the prop will surely be necessary. I have ordered this and look forward to working with it.
BarFly
View Profile
Regular user
I hate digging holes for
121 Posts

Profile of BarFly
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2023, NicholasD25 wrote:
In watching Craig’s video above, he does deliberately place the coin in the slot and is careful when turning the loaded cap over. This is not at all a criticism, just an observation. So, some practice in the handling of the prop will surely be necessary. I have ordered this and look forward to working with it.

I put a lot of stock in projects that involve Craig Petty. I like him, and I think he’s a great creator. This project however, I believe to be garbage. First time in over 45 years that I’ve asked for a refund for a magic trick. I wasted a few hours on it. That’s enough…
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2435 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey everyone

I meet to explain my relationship with Penguin when it comes to projects like this that aren’t my own.

I don’t make a penny on anything like this project. I get sent the prop and I look at it. If I like the idea I work with it and if I can come up with routines that add to the project the next time I’m at Penguin filming my own stuff I will also film anything for projects like this.

I tell you this so you can understand I don’t feel the need to defend any project that isn’t good. It’s not my concept, my idea, I make no money from it and I only take on the object if it’s something I feel I can add value to or something I believe is good for the magic community

When I was sent this I thought it was an amazing idea. When I was told what it is and what’s it’s designed to do I became very excited. I love coin box magic and the idea of a coin slot box in a bottle cap seemed amazing,

I stand by my initial thoughts. I found it difficult at first to make the cap work 100%. I couldn’t use the technique Seth did and instead I developed my own way of doing the routine which worked 100% of the time. I secure the first coin in the box before adding the rest, after a lot of testing and development I filmed the project for penguin.

The reason is there is a lot of live performances is because I used this trick A LOT to open every set. That should show the faith I had in the prop. It’s visual magic and guarantees a great reaction

I fully believe people are having issues and I’m not sure if it’s user error (it look me a while to get ‘the knack’) or a faulty batch. However I can assure you I am 100% happy with my caps, in fact I type this on a train to Cardiff where I’m doing a garden party and then a corporate show. I will absolutely be using Capsize in the garden party. It’s the sort of prop that just works in this environment

I’ll help if I can. The week after next I could even arrange a zoom call for people having issues. But right now all I can say is don’t give up. It’s a great trick once you get the knack down it works very well indeed

Hope that helps
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Obviously
I love this idea and really want it to work.
My set ended up with the red one sometimes working if I'm VERY careful, and the black one not at all.
I'm assuming mine is 3D printed as it was a preorder from Penguin. How can I know by looking at it?
It has some very trace marks across the top (cross hatching?) that look like it could be from a printing machine, but looks great otherwise.

Like I said, I am determined to make this work, so I'm considering enhancing the special areas with a Dremel.
What's everyone else doing?
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
317 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
Putting it in the bottom drawer for now. My is basically useless. Like I said above great idea just not great execution on the gimmick.
BarFly
View Profile
Regular user
I hate digging holes for
121 Posts

Profile of BarFly
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2023, gumbimagic wrote:
Putting it in the bottom drawer for now. My is basically useless. Like I said above great idea just not great execution on the gimmick.

It’s pretty much garbage. I tried to leave a review on the Penguin site, but it never appeared lol. $40 for two plastic screw tops that don’t work. Such a deal…