The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: CLOAK by Chris Congreave (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thanks dman, great to know. Not sure why that isn’t mentioned in the ad copy. I hope Chris knows that he has fans outside of UK.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1300 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I was fooled by this many years ago when Paul Gordon performed it at a lecture at the Newcastle Magic Circle & I was and am a very well read working magician who is slightly older than Paul.
Chris & Paul are both friends & Chris developed it even more in one of his books with Pauls permission to a 5 ACE ending which got a laugh to add to the amazement.
Now this addition ramps it up even more by 2 notches .
Will be performing it in the next couple of days .
Have given Chris a couple of more ideas & my friend & guru Mick Wilson for additional laughs & a 3 Rd laugh & an idea to make it play BIGGER & a sound effect ( with 3 ideas how to obtain it - well 4 really - but for the correct audience.
I will be having great laughs & entertaining with this .
Thanks to Paul for his routining & thanks to Chris for putting this on steroids
A worker knows what works & technically it’s so easy to do
Imagine the great Wayne Dobson / Paul Daniels or Tom Mullica doing this on television.
That’s how good it is
Vanian
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA - Santa Fe, NM
154 Posts

Profile of Vanian
I ordered direct from Chris on the 6th of August and it finally arrived today (I’m here in the U.S.) Such a fun and clever trick. Definitely going in to my everyday carry!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3267 Posts

Profile of NeilS
This is not sort of effect I usually do but it is so entertaining and guaranteed to amuse and surprise I could not resist.
Vanian
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA - Santa Fe, NM
154 Posts

Profile of Vanian
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2023, NeilS wrote:
This is not sort of effect I usually do but it is so entertaining and guaranteed to amuse and surprise I could not resist.

Same here, I've been focusing more on pure Mentalism lately, but every so often someone wants to just see a quick and simple magic trick, so I was carrying around Max Maven's "B'Wave" for the past few years, and before that, Kenton Knepper's "Kolossal Killer" for a very long while... but now Cloak will be living in my wallet!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
The last choice seems a bit weak to me. Not sure friends at the pub would let that fly. Is there a contingency if they ask “for you or for me?” since you’ve made a point of making that clear up until the last choice.

Also, why are the cards aged? Is there another premise provided where that is important? Not a big deal, just curious.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3279 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Will this be available in the US anytime soon??
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4194 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
There are quite a few different ways the last choice can be handled, Daleys delight is one option. John Carey also has a very nice way of handling that in his bank night style routine.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Yeah, I was going to say that because as soon as I saw the handling, I was like, I know that sequence from Bank Wave.

This seems like a nice way to use that handling in a card trick.

Quote:
On Aug 17, 2023, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
There are quite a few different ways the last choice can be handled, Daleys delight is one option. John Carey also has a very nice way of handling that in his bank night style routine.

Mark
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
btwigg
View Profile
Loyal user
Sacramento, CA USA
204 Posts

Profile of btwigg
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2023, magicmind wrote:
Will this be available in the US anytime soon??

I live in California and just picked it up. Shipping was like 5 bucks. This way there is no middle man and Chris gets all the money so he can buy Ferraris and Italian suits or whatever.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
CLOAK is a nice variation to Mr. Gordon's HTHP. However, for the last two remaining cards I prefer Daley's Delight (needs a little bit of practice).

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2023, Ustaad wrote:
CLOAK is a nice variation to Mr. Gordon's HTHP. However, for the last two remaining cards I prefer Daley's Delight (needs a little bit of practice).

Smile

I also prefer to use Dayley's delight for the last two cards as I think it's far more deceptive.
corindaman
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Where can we find Dayleys delight written up?
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1531 Posts

Profile of rowland
[quote]On Aug 18, 2023, corindaman wrote:
Where can we find Dayleys delight written up? [/quot

Vinny marini explains it on YouTube
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3267 Posts

Profile of NeilS
It looks very deceptive. Thanks for the link Ustaad.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2023, Kaliix wrote:
Yeah, I was going to say that because as soon as I saw the handling, I was like, I know that sequence from Bank Wave.

Quote:

Mark

Aw yes, Bank Wave by John Carey. That’s a long forgotten gem. Thanks for mentioning that, I never would have remembered the name. Nice handling for the final choice too.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I think for Cloak (at least in the demo I saw) the handling of the last card fits very well into the effect and is a nice addition to the many methods of accomplishing this.

When the final choice is THE prediction, a great handling for that is The Known by Thom Peterson. A nice subtlety in the wording makes all the difference and makes this a great little effect.

Quote:
On Aug 18, 2023, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2023, Kaliix wrote:

Quote:

Mark

Aw yes, Bank Wave by John Carey. That’s a long forgotten gem. Thanks for mentioning that, I never would have remembered the name. Nice handling for the final choice too.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1300 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
There are plenty of options instead of saying top & bottom & anyone with a little thinking & experience should be able to think of them BUT I quite like Daleys Delight
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
Maybe it’s just me, but I wouldn’t use Daley’s Delight at the end of Cloak. Can’t imagine anyone watching it and not suspecting something fishy. I think subtle wording is better in this particular instance.