The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: LEVIOSA by Joao Miranda & Julio Montoro (The best thing Ive seen almost ANYONE do. -Craig Petty) (326 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9..13..17..21..25..26~27~28 [Next]
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2838 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
This is pure eye candy. Love this. My order is in.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2023, michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2023, 1tepa1 wrote:
It does look good. But I think the strenght of the animated deck or haunted pack is that it does not look like it uses thread, the method is more hidden. Especially those versions where the deck moves forward and then back again leaving one card sticking out. The animation and the way the deck moves does not scream "invisible thread". But with this, when the deck floats up in a straight line to your hand, it does scream "thread". Everyone has seen for example how spiderman can shoot a thread to an object and then retract that thread back causing the object to come back to his hand. When a spectator sees the deck float up, it is certainly shocking and you will get great reactions, but how many spectators will walk away afterwards really thinking that an invisible thread was NOT used to make the object shoot into your hand?

I think there are a few good convincers here:

1. In the long-form demo, Joao visually dispels the presence of a line before the float upwards

2. As the deck arrives at your hand, you could continue journeying up and even a bit above your head with it in your hand. If the motion of the deck in flight is consistent, this would (I think?) sell the visual impression that the deck actually flies a fair bit higher than it actually does and might also help erase the idea of a thread.

I don't think the convincers will erase the idea of a thread. It might for some people, but I think if not most spectators then at least a big enough portion to be significant will think a thread is in use in any normal close up type of a levitation effect where a thread actually is in use. I think the convincer used needs to be strong enough that it truly completely dispells the idea that a thread could be used, otherwise the spectators will think that the thread was cleverly used instead of there not being any. With levitating with threads, the issue is that there is no other conceivable method (to most spectators) for making something appear to float than to use a thread. There is a saying that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and subtle convincers are not big enough to prove to a spectator that thread was not used. Just my opinion.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
When I was a kid, maybe 10 years old, I saw a magic show in a local theater with well known and respected preformers from the magic community. This was before I was into magic. One of the performers did the dancing cane. The way the cane moves has all kinds of convincers that dispel the notion of how a layperson could understand how a thread can be used to float something. The cane goes around the body of the performer, between the hands and all of that, seemingly making it impossible that a thread can be connected to it from above. Yet I had zero doubt that a thread was somehow being used, despite not being able to conceive how. It was visually very cool, but there was no sense of mystery in a magical sense to it. I did not care to know how it was done, because I knew it was done with a thread somehow. contrasting this with other tricks I saw where I had no idea how it was done. With those tricks I really wanted to know how they were done and had a feeling of magic because I truly had no idea about how it could have been done.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I have performed Haunted deck in various ways for +15 years and at least half the time people will want to see or handle the deck! This screams to laymen "very thin thread!!!!!" And they want to see the deck!

Juha-Matti
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
959 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
It's an interesting argument about method and what audiences may speculate.

Being a devil's advocate, the conversation might go like this:

'The whole deck floated up to his hand!'
'How?'
'He must have had some string pulling it up'
'Did you see any?'
'No'
'Anyway, how does a bit of string pull up a whole deck of cards into his hands?'
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Juha-Matti. I think the spectators want to see the deck because they know there must be something extra in play. A deck does not just cut itself. Maybe they think there is a thread in use but it could also be they think the deck itself is somehow mechanically gimmicked with some type of a moving mechanism that cuts it. I remember when I first saw the haunted deck and I thought the deck was in itself gimmicked in some way that it can cut itself.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3068 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Quote:
When I was a kid, maybe 10 years old, I saw a magic show in a local theater with well known and respected preformers from the magic community. This was before I was into magic. One of the performers did the dancing cane. The way the cane moves has all kinds of convincers that dispel the notion of how a layperson could understand how a thread can be used to float something. The cane goes around the body of the performer, between the hands and all of that, seemingly making it impossible that a thread can be connected to it from above. Yet I had zero doubt that a thread was somehow being used, despite not being able to conceive how. It was visually very cool, but there was no sense of mystery in a magical sense to it. I did not care to know how it was done, because I knew it was done with a thread somehow. contrasting this with other tricks I saw where I had no idea how it was done. With those tricks I really wanted to know how they were done and had a feeling of magic because I truly had no idea about how it could have been done.

This, to me, is the case with the vast majority of thread effects that use thread as a method of levitation or suspension. It's such a ubiquitous method in the minds of audiences, even those who know little to nothing about magic, that even IT effects with visual convincers don't fully erase that method in a viewer's mind.

Folks like Penn & Teller even lean into that with Teller's floating ball sequence, that is overtly introduced as a "trick with a ball and a piece of string." The exposure ends up being a feature rather than a bug, because the effect is still mystifying regardless.

Whether or not Leviosa will inspire similar response remains to be seen. One good feature of the effect is that it's close-up, the thread is genuinely invisible, and the implied convincer is that a deck of card is heavy enough that a piece of thread small enough to be invisible shouldn't be able to support it.

I've ordered one and I'm eager to try it out.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3068 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Quote:
Juha-Matti. I think the spectators want to see the deck because they know there must be something extra in play. A deck does not just cut itself. Maybe they think there is a thread in use but it could also be they think the deck itself is somehow mechanically gimmicked with some type of a moving mechanism that cuts it. I remember when I first saw the haunted deck and I thought the deck was in itself gimmicked in some way that it can cut itself.

Given that this piece feels to me like a closer, I can see a lot of magicians using a matching regular deck for previous effects and then ringing in Leviosa for the finale. Since the deck has presumably been in play the whole time, surely this would help squash those suspicions?
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
959 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
I think the levitation might play best if done casually.

'Oh, one more thing...'

Then nonchalantly put deck in box, pocket the box and walk away. Say nothing.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1530 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
Quote:

Given that this piece feels to me like a closer, I can see a lot of magicians using a matching regular deck for previous effects and then ringing in Leviosa for the finale. Since the deck has presumably been in play the whole time, surely this would help squash those suspicions?

I agree I think it must be done that way.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4757 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Having been around the magic block for 37 yrs, this seems like one of those “why did I buy this?” kinda tricks. Hopefully I’m wrong…but I doubt it.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2023, 1tepa1 wrote:

I think the spectators want to see the deck because they know there must be something extra in play. A deck does not just cut itself. Maybe they think there is a thread in use but it could also be they think the deck itself is somehow mechanically gimmicked with some type of a moving mechanism that cuts it. I remember when I first saw the haunted deck and I thought the deck was in itself gimmicked in some way that it can cut itself.

1tepa1, for me your arguments are logically coherent but come from your magical background
Even if someone thinks of an invisible thread, he will still be surprised for a short moment Smile
And the not so smart normal viewers will be even more surprised and even thrilled ...
LeoTheJet
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of LeoTheJet
Many IT tricks are obvious. I’ve only found a few that work for me. A “bouncing” dollar bill makes me feel more embarrassed than magical.

This looks magical. From being shuffled. To splitting across the floor, to floating up to your waiting hand. I’m sorry, but I don’t think thread would be any layman’s first thought.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1530 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2023, LeoTheJet wrote:
Many IT tricks are obvious. I’ve only found a few that work for me. A “bouncing” dollar bill makes me feel more embarrassed than magical.

This looks magical. From being shuffled. To splitting across the floor, to floating up to your waiting hand. I’m sorry, but I don’t think thread would be any layman’s first thought.

I don’t think you will be shuffling this deck lol.

I would let them shuffle a normal deck, fan it out let them chose a card. Then turn around so I don’t see it while they sign it and do the necessary d/s.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2023, rowland wrote:

I don’t think you will be shuffling this deck lol.

Have you not watched the trailer?
Jbond207
View Profile
New user
Mount Vernon, IN
59 Posts

Profile of Jbond207
Quote:
The visual on this is just incredible, and I love the idea of a self contained IT effect that doesn't require any awkward get-ready or get-out. I normally hate IT tricks, but I would do this.

However, I'm curious about the "instant reset" aspect of this as it seems clear from the full performances that something from the deck is ditched after the selection is made. Does whatever is ditched have to be reintroduced to the deck at the end of the effect? And if so, how does that qualify as an instant reset in the way that is advertised (ie: the deck is boxed and pocketed, and you're back in business)?

——————
I would love to do this but I too am curious about the “instant reset” and the claim that it is entirely self-contained. Too me, that sounds like nothing is attached to your body.

Also, most of my shows are parlor type. Not sure the audience could see what is happening on the floor without having a camera and screen projection. Even on a stage it would be difficult I think. I understand that they say this is mainly for strolling, but would love to figure out a way to include it in a parlor show. I am definitely interested to learn more about it.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2023, Jbond207 wrote:

Too me, that sounds like nothing is attached to your body

This is exactly the case at the end Smile
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Nice Review by Luke Dancy - https://youtu.be/oFXH92JXXkM

After watching the live performance ( https://youtu.be/LeGXAvxQUNQ ) and based on Luke's review, this seems to be a nice entertaining gizmo. I have a few queries, but I will find out the answers soon.

IMO, with a little thought, this card deck gizmo can do much more than what is shown in the demo vid. The rising of the deck is very smooth and the Haunted deck looks quite spooky (unlike any I have ever seen).

For now I'm on the fence.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
jo.sh
View Profile

Maui
0 Posts

Profile of jo.sh
I really want to get this but I have the same concerns as others. The thread and what happens if the gimmick falls. Would be curious to see a 2-3 month follow up review. Other than that, this is really impressive.
jo.sh
View Profile

Maui
0 Posts

Profile of jo.sh
Does anyone that has this know if the USB charging is USB-C or micro USB? Really hoping for USB-C.