The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Darryl Vanumburg's FLY levitation coming soon. :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
Quote:
On 2006-12-01 20:23, ScottLeavitt wrote:
I'm not a "working professional" but still plan on saving up for this baby.

Scott from what I have read in your helpful and insightful posts. I would wager you are more of a working professional than some of the negative posters here on the Café'.

It is nice to see someone who cares about magic like you.

That useless jaded, misinformed coments meant to incite rather than to bring growth or interesting conversation have been posted.
The other thread is for reviews and was moved, but people keep posting.

Thanks again for your thoughts and contributing to this thread.

magicmike30
Entertainer
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I love how large price tags are labeled as "for the working pro". In reality its the amateurs that are always looking for the next "big trick" that will make them a working pro.

I am not saying this effect won't do all that it says it will do. I just find it funny...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
This was aimed for guys who make their living at magic.

It will also appeal to the ones that are looking to take their magic and reputation to the next level.

magicmike30
Entertainer
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 08:50, paisa23 wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-02 23:30, ScottLeavitt wrote:
Paisa

You can't position this as "military research" and have Uncle Sam pay for it? (stealth levitation....)

S

LOL if only I could, Manipulate the military into believeing that my Magician friends have developed a way for us to win wars without our feet ever touching the Ground. I think that you guys would get picked up by the Men In Black for ET activity. No not so much that, I mean I would have to see this myself I mean the Mechenisim and such (BEEN BURNED TO MANY TIME ON THIS EFFECT. Not saying that this would be a flop but since it custom made I would need to see everything before deciding, since I am not the typical suit and jacket type of guy) My wife yells at me if I wear something that doesn't match. I would have to pay off my $4500 entertainment system before even begining to get another Lev. But it does look good. Hopefully one day I will meet one of you guys and see it in person. I doubt I will see it in Great Falls Montana.

So much Arguing you didn't read my Funny remark, here it is again.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2006-12-04 13:02, magicmike30 wrote:

It will also appeal to the ones that are looking to take their magic and reputation to the next level.

magicmike30

I make my living at magic and have done quite well without this effect...

Are you saying there is not a chance that a working pro would be disappointed by this effect?

I work multiple restaurants and a variety of other venues where angles are an issue. A "worker" means angle free(or angle free with care of course). So what makes this a worker? I just want you to clarify because all I hear is working pro, working pro, working pro... People are going to watch you from all angles from all parts of the room(especially if you are good). I know there are going to be people who come back at me with lines like "control the situation" and "know your angles". Anyone who has ever worked a cocktail party will find lines like that humorous. I guess you could "usher" everyone over to a corner so you have your safe 180 degrees but that doesn't classify as a worker IMO.

I guess I just got sick of seeing the "working pro" line over and over again. I am a working pro and I don't think I will write home about this particular effect...Might as well usher them to the corner for the old faithfull balducci...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
For what its worth, I'm not a working pro (although I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express)
andl
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
159 Posts

Profile of andl
Quote:
On 2006-12-04 12:37, magicmike30 wrote:
Quote:

Scott from what I have read in your helpful and insightful posts. I would wager you are more of a working professional than some of the negative posters here on the Café'.

ha! coool! I just have to say I save money for this illusion and than I'm a working professional!
come on guy, this levitation sucks! it looks bad on the video and I'm sure it looks worse in reality! a high price dosen't make a good illusion. this levitation isn't worth 100 bucks! perhaps the work and the used material is worth the price, but not the effect itself and that's the only thing which is important...
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
Andl

I'd wager that some of the best magicians out there are not "working professionals." Many of us have been doing magic since before you were born, do perform on a regular basis (recently did two fundraisers with audiences of 180-200 at each one), and take magic seriously as an art form.

Not sure why some folks spend so much time bashing effects rather than adding to the magic community.

S
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
Quote:
On 2006-12-04 12:49, Hart Keene wrote:
I love how large price tags are labeled as "for the working pro". In reality its the amateurs that are always looking for the next "big trick" that will make them a working pro.

I am not saying this effect won't do all that it says it will do. I just find it funny...

Quote:
On 2006-12-04 13:02, magicmike30 wrote:

magicmike30

Hart I did not disagree with you. My second statement actually supports what you said.

For the Working Magi;) I have done this at the Restaurant I stroll at. No you don't have to do this in a corner. That was an example for a very large group at a stag. You have to now what you can do with this effect and like always control the situation when performing.

Take care,
magicmike30
Entertainer
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
Quote:
On 2006-12-04 16:10, andl wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-04 12:37, magicmike30 wrote:
Quote:

ha! coool! I just have to say I save money for this illusion and than I'm a working professional!
come on guy, this levitation sucks! it looks bad on the video and I'm sure it looks worse in reality! a high price dosen't make a good illusion. this levitation isn't worth 100 bucks! perhaps the work and the used material is worth the price, but not the effect itself and that's the only thing which is important...

Hey Andi thanks for proving my point so well. I really appreciate it.

magicmike30
Entertainer
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
No problem.. I see the huge potential in this and I'm contemplating making the purchase. Would have to wait until Darryl is doing custom orders, though. The Docs aren't really my style.

Here's a question. The 'special something' you speak of that is changed in 3 seconds.. how readily available is this, and how expensive? Also, is a jacket required to conceal the apparatus?

Thanks, magicmike.
Corey King
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
Corey I sent you a pm.

The special somthing is readily available. You can get this at Walmart and it is cheap and will last for many performances.

When Darryl did this for me he was in a short sleeve shirt. I was like what?
You can do this with out a Jacket if your shirt is untucked.

This in my opinion Corey is an amazing levitation.

magicmike30
Entertainer
giochi
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of giochi
Hah. I loved that part of this was filmed next to some noisy air pumps. interesting....
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
WHAT??? OK..... As always another post adding no productive meaning to this thread. Real sad how some have to criticize out of pure ignorance instead of just asking a question. O'yea, you forgot about the running lawnmower that was circling Darryl while he levitated in the studio...

'PIZ'
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
Quote:
On 2006-12-06 03:39, giochi wrote:
Hah. I loved that part of this was filmed next to some noisy air pumps. interesting....

Hey giochi have you read this entire thread? If you did you might not remember this part so the nice guy that I am here ya go.

magicmike30 quote.
There was a question about noise when using the unit. Not the case. Floating outside you would not hear a thing. Floating in a restaurant no worries. Now for you really picky magi like me who want to do this in a dead quiet place. I have come up with a modification that is easy and can be added in a couple of minutes. Darryl was really impressed with my tip and it makes the FLY a super quiet one. Darryl also covers another technique you can employ if you were doing this at someone’s house and you did not use the modification. I would suggest take the few minutes it will take to modify your unit and most likely you have the stuff at your house already. If you didn’t it would cost you a couple of bucks.
magicmike30 quote.

The demo was shot a different locations.
Outside a strip Mall.
At a tanning salon.
That Car Wash.
A Bar and Grill.
A Studio.

So there you have it no conspiracy theory here.
magicmike30
Entertainer
Eric Gretencord
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
170 Posts

Profile of Eric Gretencord
How much control do you have over the turning in mid-air and the duration of levitatoin? Is it possible to do it without the turning?
He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
-M. C. Escher
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
I PM'd you Eric.

Yes, this can be performed without turning, you can go up and then straight down.

Take care

'PIZ'
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
Ok this looks good!! yes it is expensive but it is a very good investment for getting the gigs which is what we as magicians for the most part are all about. (the serious pro magicians anyway) to some of you yes it might seam that levitating a inch and spinning down is not worth the money, and I do hope that one day someone has the intelligence to make a levitation that promises everthing this does and allows you to "float" 5 or 6 feet in the air, but guess what that day is not here yet. So to some of you one here why don't you stop bashing someones awsome work and start getting to work on the 5 to 6 feet levitation. For now it looks like I am saving up some money so I can start getting some serious gigs!!!! props to the inventor on this awsome up to date best self levitation!!!!
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
Bicycle ghost deck 3.99..........warning 24.95..............the look on ellusionist teams face when The Fly and its pricetag was released on hocus-pocus.com....PRICELESS!!!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist!!!

Cant wait to get this awsome invention...finaly!!!
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Product is released and is being reviewed here
Where the magic begins