The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Force of Will by Dave Hooper (39 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Harry2665
View Profile
Loyal user
So pitiful, all I have are
205 Posts

Profile of Harry2665
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2016, Mike ODonnell wrote:
Just watched the DVD and I am disappointed in this release. I own Paul Green's classic force and was hoping to learn more about this force. The "teaching" portion on Force of Will is just him doing the force a few times in a studio setting. This should have been a $5 download.

I have to agree with this. I have bought over 350 items from Penguin and this is one of the biggest pieces of crap I have ever bought. After painfully watching the 'Force of Will', I finally decided to watch my Green Classic Force that I have had for over a year. What a difference between night and day! At least I learned some good tips on it. I got nothing from the Force of Will. And it looks like reading the reviews on Penguin from unhappy customers, I was not alone.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2207 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Have to agree this is probably the worst magic item I have purchased.
Should have been a cheaper download.

Not sure why I bought this after watching Paul Daniels classic force advice on Bravura.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1300 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Well I have just watched this & the only positive thing I have to say about it is that Dave does an excellent Classic Force.

On the down side I think I wasted my money( only £10 plus postage).

I think Mark Mason's dvd has better instruction & he does it just as well.

As a side note there has been mention of the forces project which cover Mr Masons extras as well. Let us not forget that they are Marks extras.

Also the Paul Green Classic Force dvd is a better option in my opinion.

However, as said earlier Dave does this very well.

Mike Donoghue
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
I enjoyed Dave Hooper's DVD. I like to see other magicians take on the Classic Force, Top Change etc. I suspect those who acknowledge the fact that Dave Hooper does it well (and he does do it well), but grumble about "nothing new" do not actually use the Classic Force themselves. They are still looking for the 'perfect' method.

Any of the excellent DVD's mentioned in the previous posts would be a good starting point for learning the Classic Force....but then it must be put into practice. I learned from the late Ken Brooke back in 1977...but I still like to see how others approach it. Ken said the average magician just does not get enough performing experience to become comfortable with the Classic Force and Top Change...it MUST be performed for people regularly. Mark Mason has a lovely force, already mentioned in this thread. He performed for a few hours at my wedding reception seven years ago. A great performer...a great style. But, you have to develop your own style, and keep at it.

I would also mention Doc Eason's Card under glass two DVD set. Very good Classic Force information and instruction on the toolbox DVD of this set....very similar to Ken Brooke's method. As others have said, force when it doesn't matter which card is chosen, and don't expect results overnight.

Thanks Dave Hooper for sharing your experience with the Classic Force. For those who feel they've wasted £10 (big deal) ....just get out there and do it. You don't need some new technique...just learn from someone who can do it, and be grateful they've shared with you. Smile

Riley
remotementalism
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of remotementalism
I love this...it is something so simple, yet so devastating...get this now!

Khan
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2016, Riley wrote:
I enjoyed Dave Hooper's DVD. I like to see other magicians take on the Classic Force, Top Change etc. I suspect those who acknowledge the fact that Dave Hooper does it well (and he does do it well), but grumble about "nothing new" do not actually use the Classic Force themselves. They are still looking for the 'perfect' method.

Any of the excellent DVD's mentioned in the previous posts would be a good starting point for learning the Classic Force....but then it must be put into practice. I learned from the late Ken Brooke back in 1977...but I still like to see how others approach it. Ken said the average magician just does not get enough performing experience to become comfortable with the Classic Force and Top Change...it MUST be performed for people regularly. Mark Mason has a lovely force, already mentioned in this thread. He performed for a few hours at my wedding reception seven years ago. A great performer...a great style. But, you have to develop your own style, and keep at it.

I would also mention Doc Eason's Card under glass two DVD set. Very good Classic Force information and instruction on the toolbox DVD of this set....very similar to Ken Brooke's method. As others have said, force when it doesn't matter which card is chosen, and don't expect results overnight.

Thanks Dave Hooper for sharing your experience with the Classic Force. For those who feel they've wasted £10 (big deal) ....just get out there and do it. You don't need some new technique...just learn from someone who can do it, and be grateful they've shared with you. Smile

Riley

Great post Riley. Spot on about the core problem often being people's hesitancy to put the CF into practice, and the search for a new technique becoming a substitute... I see that so often when the MoM work with magicians on this move.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I use CF all the time. I just don't like buying something pumped as new having nothing new at all. I said a long way back that Dave does the force very well.
It's ok though, I'm done buying things from these dealers anymore. I have my list of people that are shills in this game.
James

Quote:
On Jan 24, 2016, Riley wrote:

Riley
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I am a beginner and bought this dvd because of the initial recommendations on this thread. It is a complete waste of money. I was shocked when it finished after 10 or so minutes, I looked through the dvd for missing content then I read that it was that short. It does not contain enough information for a beginner to learn the classic force properly. I think the ad and talk from here was misleading. I bought Paul Greens force download shortly after and it is 100 times better at teaching it. This is my worst buy ever and I've been doing magic for about a year. A complete joke.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1695 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Just chiming in , the first time I got knowledge to Classic Force is through YouTube . It was a million years ago , when I first started . It was not till a few years back that I decided to start truly working on it . Here's my advice : force a card on your spectator even though you don't have to . You don't need to know the value , just cut and break , and go . You must trust me . If you do this consistently ( which is what I did ) , you will eventually get it down . It's the same as eating . If you pack yourself full every time , you'll get fat eventually .

This DVD is not totally bad . It serves as an example and a reminder of what a perfect Classic Force is , and that it can be done . Don't be discouraged by your purchase . Go out and try it .

And by the way , in case you're wondering , I'm not promoting YouTube exposure , I'm just saying how I got the first knowledge to it . It's the practice that makes perfection .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I agree, I've found youtube videos that have longer and better information for beginners about learning the force than this overcharged dvd. Im totaly annoyed that I fell for all the hype.
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
I have been classic forcing cards for 40 years. I have my technique down and it is *** close to being 100%

But I am not above being fooled now and then. Dave forced the same card on me multiple times...even when I was trying not to take what I thought was the card. and so I was fooled as I stated. It didn't look like anything I had seen before.

Now, whether this is a good investment. Is this better or different than the Paul Green or Mark Mason work on it? Probably not. I did pick up an idea from it that I have dropped right in and l admit I like it a lot *but* it may not be new.

I must say I agree this would have been a great $5 download.

I found Dave to be a very engaging personality. I loved spending time with and being fooled by Dave.

BTW Eddie Tullock forced a card on me with the deck face up! yes that fooled me too.. but I am probably not gonna give up magic because of it.
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1300 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Just one more little thing .

I suspect that like me( full time close up magician for many years & USER OF THE CLASSIC FORCE for many years) a lot of people bought this as the add copy (to me personally & also obviously many others who bought it) suggsted that it was something different or new.

I am very happy with my classic force, but even though I get paid to perform several events every week of the year (so I get plenty of time to use it in the real world), I am still a magic fan as well. I love magic( even at nearly 56 years old with years of performing experience). If I see something which I think is new or something with a little twist or a different angel, it takes my interest.

I believe that little changes can cause big differences & drastically alter the way sonmething is received or percieved.

The bottom line is that I didn't see anything new on this release.

However a I stated earlier Dave is a master at the classic Force.
Masy the force be with you ha

Mike Donoghue
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1071 Posts

Profile of dman11
Looks like Dave Hooper pulled off the ultimate force and got a lot of us to buy this when there were many other better choices.
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Who among us hasn't spent money on something that turned out to be overpriced. It was 10 quid.. be thankful it wasn't more... move along.. squirrel!
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1300 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Wise words from Doc Eason.

Lets move on.

Mike Donoghue
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I think as a "precursor" introduction to the classic force for beginners - this DVD works. I think if you already know it, perform it or own material on it then this DVD is not for you.

Title: Force of Will
Creator: Dave Hooper
Publisher: Murphy's Magic
MSRP: $ 15
Skill Level: Beginners ONLY
DVD Run time: 12 minutes

Type of effect: Card Force Plot

Manufacturer's Write Up:

There are a thousand ways to get a spectator to choose a certain card. Even today, new methods are being brought to light, even as you read this. Yet, one thing has remained constant throughout the years, the pursuit of the perfect force. Dave Hooper has refined his take on the classic force for more years than many of us have even considered taking our card magic seriously... And the result is a thing of pure beauty.

"Dave's force is the best I've ever seen. And I've seen many!" - Harry Robson

After 35 years of being a professional magician, It is today that he reveals his teachings on what some will call the greatest Classic Force, ever.

"He forced the same card on me FIVE times, and it was fair. Every time." -Chris Ramsay

If you are struggling with the classic force or are looking to refine and make it absolutely 100% undetectable and effective, then there is no alternative. The proof is inside.

How accurate is the ad copy? Pretty straight forward no false promises, this is simply a "variation" on the classic force.

What's in the box? DVD 12 minutes long

Key points: Right off the bat, I'd say this is a DVD for beginners, both in card handling and card forcing. True, there are "more in-depth" videos on both forcing cards AND the Classic Force, but this video is a good introduction for anyone just getting into it.

How are the production values: Top notch, shot in HD, good studio location, multiple angles and good microphone.

Is it well taught: It is well taught... for 12 minutes, but I'd say it's not quite enough material for any skill level to truly be "enough." It leaves you wanting more.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked):

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" This is a straight forward card force with a deck of cards.

Does it "play big?" my favorite parts were the "outs" that were taught when you "miss." In my opinion this was the best part of the DVD.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Another good part to the DVD was the "real world" practice tips that Dave offers.

Overall score: 8/10 - (again as a Introduction to the Classic Force for Beginners)

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3QNAgiUgTs
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Be thankful? Yes customers, be THANKFUL. Wait, I know. The dealers that posted on this thread, let's not buy from them anymore. Then they can be thankful we have taught them a valuable lesson.
Your'e welcome.
James

Quote:
On Feb 1, 2016, Doc Eason wrote:
Who among us hasn't spent money on something that turned out to be overpriced. It was 10 quid.. be thankful it wasn't more... move along.. squirrel!
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2016, PaulGreen wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I guess that I will chime in now.

As many of you know, I released a VHS tape, and a readily available DVD, on the Classic Force. Many people have told me that it helped them learn, and do, a Classic Force!

I am a student of the Classic and I am always looking for information to make my own techniques better. There are many sources and they all have slight differences. The more information you have the better your choices will be.

Here is a partial list of resources:

Royal Road
Paul Gertner's Forcing in a Classic Manner (booklet and DVD)
Giobbi's Card College
Tarbell
Eddie Tullock
Phil Jay
Anthony Gerard--Idosyncratic Classic Force
Mark Mason--Attitude Force
Steve Dacri
Steve Youell
Paul Daniels
Paul Green

I really don't think there is one BEST method or technology. I have read and viewed all of the above. My technique is a combination of what I have discovered. Do your research and then "pick and choose" what works for you. I am looking forward to seeing what Dave Hooper's Force of Will adds to the mix.

Respectful regards,

Paul Green

PS I have purposefully not posted any links to my own DVD. You can find it, if you look,... BTW I receive no further financial rewards for the sale of my DVD. unless you purchase it directly from me.

My advice as a beginner is get Pauls DVD and don't even bother with force of will, I wasted my money on it after hype and even Doc Eason says its overpriced. Very annoying I know its only a tenner but I think it was being hyped on purpose to sell hundreds which dominic said it did here "MOM shipped out hundreds of these today", job done I suppose.
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
I bought this.

I wasn't expecting any earth-shattering revelations or reinvention of the wheel (the demo confirmed this) rather, some useful touches to what is already out there. The Cummins' DVD is better suited to those who are starting out with this move.

I watched it and, like a few others here, think it probably could've been priced cheaper for what you get. It's a no nonsense, brief explanation, and would agree this would be better suited to people who already have a grasp of the concept of the force to begin with.

Will I be using it? Yes, however it turns out that what Dave teaches is something I've already been doing over the years with the CF!

Non plused, but not disappointed.

Elliot
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1300 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Got to agree that Paul Daniels explains this beautifully on BRAVURA.

He is without doubt a master at the classic force.

Actually he is a master at everything magic.

Mike Donoghue