The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Down 2 1 from Jon Allem (91 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3275 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2022, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
I'm convinced people who hit the wrong cup in smash & stab would not call that experience similar. ;-)

I’ve had shows where a failed smash & stab would have been preferred
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2022, John C wrote:
So I suppose 1 on 1 is out of the question?

Does this require quick thinking? I mean is it easy to screw up?

While the routine (obviously) won't work for one person, my method of forcing the correct outcome can be done for one person.

I'm not sure what is meant by "quick thinking" but you will need to perform an action based on someone's choice.

No, it's not easy to screw up.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
chiassai
View Profile
New user
Italy
57 Posts

Profile of chiassai
Hello, I read in previous comments that the coin is not gimmicked, just the envelope.
I would like to ask if once I have purchased the effect I can replace the coin with my own personalized one (size 2 italian euro, always double-sided) and use only the envelope provided. That is, the moves to be made can be performed with another slightly larger coin (I think). Thanks to who will answer me.
Khalid
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Khalid
Bigger isn't better in this case. You say the chip provided isn't gimmicked but it's designed in such a way to facilitate the necessary.
chiassai
View Profile
New user
Italy
57 Posts

Profile of chiassai
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2022, Khalid wrote:
Bigger isn't better in this case. You say the chip provided isn't gimmicked but it's designed in such a way to facilitate the necessary.

I don't think the size of the euro is much more than the chip provided, but if you tell me that it was designed on purpose to do the manipulation then I don't think it can use another type of currency and I would regret that. Has anyone tried?
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Chiassai,

It is not gimmicked in the true sense but I designed it for easy visibility. This not only helps the routine by not needing someone on stage to verify the toss but also setting up the move. It would be the same as a marked deck of cards: where one can be easily seen from a few feet away with just a quick glance and another needs to be looked at from a pretty close distance. While I haven't performed Down to One with a regular coin, I've done the move with no problem.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
chiassai
View Profile
New user
Italy
57 Posts

Profile of chiassai
Perfect thank you very much.
I think I will buy it because I really like the routine and I hope to be able to use a coin modified by me without problems
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
Could I ask one of you to explain what I'd be getting for my $75? An ungimmicked coin? A gimmicked envelope? Jon Allen's scripted routine? A technique for manipulating the coin? I can't complain about the price because it's so darn hard to figure out what I'm paying for. Thanks.
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
You are getting a professional routine that can be performed in many different environments by either magician or mentalist. You are getting Jon Allen's personal time developing the routine. You are getting an ungimmicked coin, a gimmicked envelope, a scripted routine, a technique for manipulating the coin, and much more.

If you like the effect and want to perform it, then buy it. It shouldn't matter what components make it up because you're buying the complete end to end routine. If you don't like the effect, then don't buy it and the components won't matter.

If you have questions about the actual effect or what it looks like to the audience then ask away, but perhaps stop fishing for the method.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3275 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, Daegs wrote:
You are getting a professional routine that can be performed in many different environments by either magician or mentalist. You are getting Jon Allen's personal time developing the routine. You are getting an ungimmicked coin, a gimmicked envelope, a scripted routine, a technique for manipulating the coin, and much more.

If you like the effect and want to perform it, then buy it. It shouldn't matter what components make it up because you're buying the complete end to end routine. If you don't like the effect, then don't buy it and the components won't matter.

If you have questions about the actual effect or what it looks like to the audience then ask away, but perhaps stop fishing for the method.

Agreed.

-Theodore Annemann
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2896 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2022, 252life wrote:
Quote:
I'm convinced people who hit the wrong cup in smash & stab would not call that experience similar. ;-)

By you or by the audience? ;-)
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3275 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2022, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2022, 252life wrote:
Quote:

By you or by the audience? ;-)

Sigh. Both 😂 Reminds me of that show on a private jet. People ran for the doors mid flight 😆

Impeccable timing as usual lol. I just received Down21 and it’s exactly as described and I’m happy Smile
My full review can be found in Field and Stream, GQ, and Woodworkers Monthly...

-Theodore Annemann
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
328 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
Quote:

I left mine in Guns & Ammo...
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3275 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2022, saturnkk wrote:
Quote:

I left mine in Guns & Ammo...

Touché Smile well played. And that would be my first choice for reading material 🙂

-Theodore Annemann
trebeseer
View Profile
New user
S FL
53 Posts

Profile of trebeseer
I wonder what Wes thinks of this.
If I were Wes (I'm not) I would feel ripped off.
The two routines look the same to an audience.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3275 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2022, trebeseer wrote:
I wonder what Wes thinks of this.
If I were Wes (I'm not) I would feel ripped off.
The two routines look the same to an audience.

A lot of things look the same to an audience. If I were Wes (I’m not), I’d speak for myself, and hope that randoms on the Café didn’t try to create drama where there is none.

-Theodore Annemann
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Exactly. 5 posts in and talking s^%#? No way. Go stir some other pot.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
trebeseer
View Profile
New user
S FL
53 Posts

Profile of trebeseer
That's an S, not a 5. At the time of this post I have 40 posts over 1 year of membership here. Before that I lurked here for over 5 years.
I'm not trying to make waves. It's just a post on a forum.
So don't cry like fragile darlings. Nobody cares what an old hobbyist thinks.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3275 Posts

Profile of 252life
Welp, you told us! I wonder if Unmasked will be as surprised as I am, that we don’t do this for a living anymore. I hope he pulls through from the shock Smile Anyway, please recommend your favorite Rick Lax illusion for us.

-Theodore Annemann
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Haha! That made my day, 252!

(I WILL have a hard time adjusting to my new status. But I trust in Trebeseer to guide the way. Although I have great difficulty in understanding how he seems to be very sensitive on Wes' behalf and but condemns us to the status of fragile darlings. But he has over 40 posts, so... no worries!)