The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You Oughta Be In Pictures :: Coin routine (trying to make it more visual) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
Hey guys, this is my coin routine that I am trying to get more visual. I don't post this in the coin section because I need advice like if its too fast, about the rythm of routine etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sRVxe6DIro

I'll appreciate any advice
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Ummm that was totally BADD A%%!
Nicely done my friend!
JM
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Well done obuch!
The pacing looked fine to me.
How are your angles?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I thought it looked great!
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
Hello mate.. You have executed some very difficult sleights and you have done a nice job.
But yes it was too fast.. Especially in the begining when you opened your hand after the retention vanish.
You have to slow down and give some time to your audience to realize what hapened.. If you open your hand too soon they might understand that the coin is in the other hand... I believe you have to make your routine more magical (and not more visual).
A very good advice I was given is that you have to be the first one to believe on what you 're doing.
For example when you do a retention vanish act as if the coin is in your hand. Give yourself a little bit of time, make a magic gesture..
These little things can give your act a more magic sense..
Your technique is pretty good.. Keep up practicing Smile
I hope that helped!!
Searching for the magic side of life...
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Wow! Great slight of hand, now focus on pacing, timing and presentation. It is indeed to fast. Slow down on the productions/vanishes and allow the audience to get the effect. Also, you look like the headless horse man. Show your face. Where you look or don't look is all part of the misdirection and overall effect. Sleight of hand isn't all about dexterity.

Keep up the good work!
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
Thanks for advice guys!

mago.niko I know that I should show the coin longer in the first moments but as I do it in front of a mirror it doesn't have that flow that I can have a coin and have it invisible in the fingertips if I do that slower. But then its too fast for the audience just like you said and... that's the problem that I don't know how resolve yet :/

Ah and didn't want to say it before some advice about overall look of the routine but it is a routine for magicians only. To be more precise its a part of a routine for a competition. I have more steady, slower, more "magical" routine for lay people.

Chad I know what you are talking about, could look at this video and give me some advice about face impressions? Because I know I'm not doing them too good...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IipugcgSmr0

Its my own routine for lay people so its very diffrent fromm the first one.

Jazzy, the angles are pretty much like the JW grip. Ecept the part when I wave my hand in front of another and do a mp, it may have little worse angles but I think if you have the angles for JW grip you can do the whole routine. Also the last vanish/production doesn't have as bad angles as it could appear.

Ah and did you like the last vanish and production? lay people love it

ok, so its a routine for magicians only, for a competition, so anyone please be as critical as you can get, I really want to perfect my whole act. I already have the whole act but I want to make some moments more visual like with this routine