The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You Oughta Be In Pictures :: Magic for ABGAL (Amos Galvez) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
My dear brothers and sisters in MAGIC,

I would like to share with you one of my most magical experiences an all my years in Magic. This is a video of a magical gathering we had last Friday, April 18, 2008. That would be April 17 for those in the U.S.
The gathering was called "Magic for ABGAL".

It was a great night indeed for "Tatay" (dad) Amos B, Galvez. One of the oldest magicians from Manila. He is one of the last old timers. He mentored so many of us and he was always very generous with his wisdom. Amos is now in his mid 70's and is living alone. He has been inactive in the performing scene for some time now. He would still make some props for the start ups and the pros as well up until a few months back when he got very ill.

It is truly edifying to see so much care and love in one small room even for a few hours. The people who attended were so happy to see Amos sitting in the middle of the room smiling and full of life and vigor even in his now frail body. Amos was so happy we would catch him just staring with the sweetest smile. Those few hours will be imbedded in our memories for all of eternity.

There was a swap meet, there were lectures and there were story telling. What a night!

What is great about the magical community.....the "Manila" community in particular is that people are always there to lend a hand. It is like having a built in social security service so to speak.

Amos' weekly medical expenses goes as high as $30 a week. Not that big for most but a fortune for some of us especially Amos. Tickets were sold for the lectures and the money generated by the swap meet was donated to Amos. Even the working pros who don't have bookings for the last months gave some. Although the amount is not as meaningful as the thought, we did raise $250 for Amos. This will go a long way for "Tatay".

Witnessing this and being part of it makes me proud to be a magician. Allow me to share this joy and join me in the hope that this becomes an inspiration to our entire community. The power of love and prayers are still the most magical tool.

The video is in Filipino (our native tongue) but it goes bi-lingual at times. You don't need to understand the language as the visuals will speak for itself!

Best from Manila,

Rannie

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XnW4NcHw0P4
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Great stuff... this is what magic groups are all about. Thanks for sharing.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Thank you Pete. I still believe we can make a difference. Thanks for posting my friend.

In the end of the video it says...

"ETO ANF MAGFI, SIMPLE PERO MASAYA. SAMA SAMA NAGKAKAISA"

(This is MAGFI (THE MAGICIANS FOUNDATION INC IBM RING 322), we are simple but happy. Together we are one)

rannie

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
caligari
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of caligari
It was indeed a magical night as newbies like myself got to share the night with a couple of the old guards of Philippine magic.Smile

The lectures were also great as both stage and closeup magic were represented as well as great insights on entertaining kids from the Chubster.

We Tatay Amos gets well soon.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
If it's one thing my friend Rannie has taught me over the last couple of years of our friendship, it's how AWESOME my Philipeno (sp??) brothers and sisters are!!

You guys and gals are ROCKING the Magic and Vent scene, you are innovative, original, and (the best part) REMEMBER to have a HEART and truly be MENTORS in our Arts!!

Seeing you guys give back to Tatay, who has obviously give so much to all of you over the years, is just INCREDIBLE!

It's so uplifting to see a gathering of performers come together for a fellow brother and GIVE (without suspicion or worry's about material/acts being stolen)...

I'd LOVE to come to Manilla and hang with you guys....Who knows, if my gigs this season work out well, maybe I'll have the $$ to come over!

Keep doing what you guys are doing Rannie....You are setting the bar and setting it HIGH!

Rock on and God Bless,

Prof. Piper

P.S....Where any of my Vent pals there? Ony, Wanlu, etc? LOVE those guys too!
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Rannie
Thank you for sharing a little of Manila with us. I am happy to see that the busses that I road on in 1965 are still a Phillipine tradition.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Hey Al...I was just a twinkle in my fathers eyes in 65. Hey...not evenLOL! Great to know that you have been here. Those vehicles are called Jeepneys. The *** son of the Jeep that our American friend brought to us during the war.

Love and respect from manila!

Rannie

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10964 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
BOSS THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL....Perhaps the members here on the Café can Help Tatay.

the godfather of magic
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Thank you for your kind thoughts Capo! This is what you instilled in all your children in magic all around the world. The way of the Famiglia. Thank you Tatay Vinny!

I will tell Tatay Amos of your kind gesture. Thanks for the PM and the email of your plan.

God Bless you!

rannie

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Fabulous, I loved the guys in the glasses. Now I have to wipe coffee off the monitor!

Rannie, let me know if there's some way I can help Tatay Amos.

Blessings,
Tom
"But there isn't a door"
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Nice video bro!

I'm sure it's an event Tatay will remember forever!
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I found this very moving, what a great tribute, giving something back to someone who has meant so much to all of you.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
That truly warmed my heart Hermano, thank you!
Check your PM

Mick
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9539 Posts

Profile of Mb217
That's why you succeed Ran my man in all that you do, because you're always thinking of others, you never forget where you came from and those who helped you along the way. No better way to do that than with magic of some sort.

Good job my friend and keep up all the great works that you do, especially all you do for others. My best to Don Galvez and he is in very good hands with the Manila Famiglia. Smile -Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
Adre... Ang ginawa ninoy ay magandang bagay. Para ke tatay - gumaning ho kayo at sasama ko ho'ng pangalan ninoy sa dasal ko.

Friend... What you did is a beautiful thing. For tatay - Get well soon and I'll include you in my prayers.

V
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Quote:
On 2008-04-20 14:55, Tom Fenton wrote:
Fabulous, I loved the guys in the glasses. Now I have to wipe coffee off the monitor!

Rannie, let me know if there's some way I can help Tatay Amos.

Blessings,
Tom

Hi Tom,

One of those guys wearing the eyeglasses was me (i'm the one wearing the shirt with playing card design)...hahaha

Anyway, that night was a memorable night for Tatay Amos. Tonight, we will be having our weekly meeting and I will be bring in some magic stuff that I do not use anymore. I plan to have these auctioned off with the proceeds going directly to Tatay Amos.

Chubster
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Verricobl
View Profile
Loyal user
BC
256 Posts

Profile of Verricobl
Get well soon 'Tatay' Abgal... great to see the mentor of our mentors.

It was a memorable night. We got to see both close-up and stage guys in the lectures. It was also the night where Rony (the Boss' partner in crime) showed us his T&R card. Man, he kept it from us for a loooong time.
imagine the possibilities... endless...
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Compassion and love was the biggest lesson we wanted to share with you and the other young guys that night. On the magical side....Rony did tip it. Unfortunately for all of you or 99 percent of you...there was magic overload that no one could even remember the sequences and the moves. Rony has been around magic so long he was able to calculate this. Tatay Amos himself said....there was so much magic that all they got was a great great time.

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10964 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Donations can be sent to vinsmagic@aol.com by pay pal, all proceeds will be sent to Rannie for Tatay Amos.
as a gift for your help I will be sending the handling for my ring on ring off penetration effect.
go to magical offering thread for details and demo
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Rannie-
Your event for Tatay Amos brought back fond memories of my growing up in the Philippines. It was there that I got my start in magic and eventually was performing at 13 and 14 as "Mitchell de Manila". At that age I performed at parties, clubs and hotels, including the Hilton and Intercontinental, as well as on TV shows, Jose Quirino and Trio Los Bobos.
My success as a youngster was due not only to my father's coaching and support, but to three magical mentors who took their time and shared some of their knowledge with a boy who loved magic. Two of those mentors were magicians Paul Potassy and Johnny Aladdin who occasionally performed in Manila. I know you are friends with Paul so please say hello for me.
The third mentor I actually spent the most time with and am honored to have performed on a show with is a Filipino magician named Zialci. He taught me magic, told show business stories, and gave me some of his hand made props which I still have today. He and his wife were really nice and friendly. Of course, that was quite a while ago and he was an older fellow then, so its possible that he may have passed away by now. He was a very talented magician though. But probably before your time, this was around 71/72 (I lived there from 65 to 72).
Anyway, Rannie, I always enjoy your posts from Manila and watching the terrific magic being performed in the Tavern. It always looks like a good time is being had by all. Someday I must return to the Philippines and maybe we can get together and toast Zialci with some cold San Miguels.

Cheers Pare, I hope we meet someday...
Mitch