The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You Oughta Be In Pictures :: ACR with Passes and DPS Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nate River
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Nate River
I decided to put the moves I previously uploaded into one ACR.

Hope you guys enjoy it, and of course, any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Uses : Cover Pass, Slip Cut (name?), Classic Pass, and the Diagonal Palm Shift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n-Kv31nIeU

This is a video I took yesterday, so I haven't improved my DPS yet, but I will be practicing that.
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Could be a lot smoother. One thing I really didn´t like was how after the card was put into the deck you said obviously it´s not on top. Of course it´s not on top! They just saw you put it into the middle. Í think it overproves it. Other than that, most of the moves were pretty good. Work on the palm shift. When you did the pass there was a little flicker of the top half moving which can be covered. The squaring up action for the last pass was very unnatural and screams that you are doing a move. And I don´t believe that it is good to have the card come to the top again and again and suddenly come to bottom. That ending just doesn´t make much sense. Other then that, good job.

Cody
Nate River
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Nate River
Cody Fisher
I see. Sorry, I'll need to work on it a lot more. . .
Nate River
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Nate River
Cody Fisher
I need some kind of patter to get the break after the cover pass, so I used that. I've seen many magician say that "it's not on top yet. . ."
The Palm Shift of course I will work on.
The squaring action. . . yeah, it was kind of bad. . . let me try to re-take it.

About the ending. . . usually the specs like it, I guess I can palm off the card insted of putting it on the bottom and making it appear somewhere else. . .
Nate River
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Nate River
I re-took the vid (exact same thing, nothing changed) and the cover for the pass should be a bit better now.
The palm shift is quite crappy in this vid, so if you can promptly ignore that, that would be great. . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PvbZ1cENTs
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Nate,

No need to apologize for anything. It´s great to see you improving so quickly. You are technically very good just try to make better motives for the moves if you know what I mean. I´m sure there are many pros on here who can give much better advice then me. Those are just a couple things that caught my attention. Good luck.

Cody
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Very nice shifts. I personally don't liek the ending. bringing a card down is boring. go witht he pop up move I suggest. wenn you put the card in diagonal it is very obvious because the corner is sticking out very long and it doesn't look natural. I would work on this.
but I liked the video very much.
@ cody: nice point with the patter to not say it is on the top. I don't do it. but I didn't realised it when I saw the first video.
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Thanks Memory Jah. I´m not positive but I think Nate was just showing an example of using these moves in the context of an ACR. I think, and I hope that that is not his real ACR. If so Nate, I recommend picking up the Daryl and Ellusionist videos on the subject. Good luck.

Cody
Nate River
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Nate River
Cody Fisher
I see, thank you!
I'm still working on my patter, so this is not exactly my ACR routine. I don't have one yet Smile
I've heard that Daryl's Ambitious Card Routine Video is amazing, so I'll look into that. I'm personally not a big fan of E videos. . .

Memory-Jah
Thanks! Passes and shifts are the same, right? Just wondering. . .
I do the pop-up move by bending a single card and using a classic pass, seems safer than bending the double. I didn't take that version because I had a brand new deck of cards Smile
Thanks for the advices!!
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Hmm...I´ve never heard of the pop up move being done that way. I want to go check in the mirror how it looks. But what exactly do you mean by safer? The braue move is awesome and its very easy to take the crimp out of the cards. I am not a big fan of E vids either but this one is very helpful for those learning ACR. It goes into depth on the push-off double lift and has many moves. Anyway, good luck.

Cody
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10964 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Nate one question why are you doing passes for ACR , there are other methods to bring the selected card to the top . doing Acr there should be no tell tale moves
just my opinion
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
Here's something that I do to start the Ambitious card. Instead of having them choose the card, I spread through the deck face up and ask them to name any card they see in the middle. When they name it, I tell them remember its next to the (what ever cards the selection is next to) and remember that it is somewhere in the middle. While spreading through more, I cull their selection.

I feel that this in a way proves that it is in the middle to begin with, and also it skips that "card tricky" feeling of please pick a card.

just a suggestion.

I guess I would suggest that you slow everything down. It might not be amazing to you, but to a laymen, having a card rise to the top is amazing.

And also try to have some parts in the routine where the spectator puts the card in themselves or be more involved. I know you are filming so no one can help out Smile

But otherwise, I think the way you set up for the cover pass in the beginning is interesting. Just don't side jog that card to much.
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
Nate River
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Nate River
Cody Fisher
I just like it because. . . I feel more confident with the pass than double-lifting. I know that sounds really weird, but I just like it better. . .

vinsmagic
I do not know why, I think I like the risk of pulling off something like the pass whilst the specs are burning my hands. So far, I had no trouble. . .

LiquidSn
Ah, I see. I'll try that. Not that proficient with culls so I think I'll do a cover pass from there and then strike-double.
I agree it is a good idea to have them put the card in the middle.
When I do it, I have the card signed or taken out of the deck, and as they sign it or as they show the card to others, I jog the card out a bit so I can immediately do the cover pass.
Rossolim0z
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Rossolim0z
Yeah! When he did his diaganol palm shift you can see it going in at an angle you need to cover it. I don't like how your routine ends either as said before. Overall your technical skills are pretty good.
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
I agree with Vinny. Even if you like the risk, I would get one of those DVD´s mentioned and? learn other moves that accomplish it. If anything, check out Vinny´s Top Gun control, which is pretty much a pass with one card. Even that though, I don´t use at the beginning of the routine. I start out with tilt, and go from there. Even if you don´t feel confident doing the doubles, I´m sure you can pull it off, and it sets you up for the next phase of the routine. Do you actually perform an ACR to people as of now? If so, can you tell us what you do in it? I wouldn´t use the DPS as of yet. I sometimes will use a pass, but only as a visual coming to the top. Not to control it. I believe the visual color change masks it more. Hope this helps.

Cody
Nate River
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Nate River
I do not do much ACR, but I do other effects, and I use the pass all the time in those routines.

Actually, the ratio of me using the cover and classic pass as control opposed to tilts and shuffles and double lifts and other sleights are probably about 3:1.

I don't know, I think I was heavily affected by Mr.Akira Fujii who uses passes as control all the time, and. . . I just love the pass.

Nobody has questioned me about it, and nobody has even said "I know he is doing something, but I don't know what." they plain do not see it, and I am NOT trying to brag here or anything, maybe it's just the spectators, but the pass works completely fine for me.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2006-06-24 12:08, vinsmagic wrote:
Nate one question why are you doing passes for ACR , there are other methods to bring the selected card to the top . doing Acr there should be no tell tale moves
just my opinion
the godfather

I think so too.
for the pop up move: the idea is nice, but you have the pass movement too. the great thing with the double is that you hold the deck with one hand and thern the card jumps visibly to the top. even if your handling is a nice idwa, believe me when I tell you: braue's original pop up move hits a lot harder!
to your question: yes, a shift is a pass. you can also say: volte.
last thing: ellusionist video about the ambitious card is great. cody is absolutely great. you don't need o be a big fan of E and need to buy all their dvd's. but this one is great. it is called: crash course in sleight of hand vol. 2

hope this helps.

Jah
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Memory Jah hit it right on the head. The pass is a very addicting move once you get it down but there are other moves that hit a lot harder and achieve the same effect. I would get those DVD´s, study them, learn all the moves and take the ones that get the best reactions and you feel most comfortable doing and create a routine. The pass is very useful in many situations but I don´t think it is as direct as ay doing tilt and going immediately into a double lift or in this case, the braue pop up move. Anyway, good luck with the routine and let us know how it goes.

Cody
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
I think the basic sleights are fine, but with your presentation your always going to have your hands burnt. If you have a patter that is entertaining and even amusing. you will have a lot of offbeats to do get ready etc. I also think you should throw in some colour changes for visual value. One other thing. The move when you put the card in the middle of half the deck and then put it into the middle of the other is a perfect opportunity to slap that bad boy on your forehead. Just get them to push the card in the middle for misdirection. Hope that makes sense.
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Good advice Paul. Actually in my ACR, I use the misdirection of them pushing the card in to load the card in my mouth. It always gets great reactions and fits with my patter.

Good Luck,

Cody