The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You Oughta Be In Pictures :: Ex Nihilo on You Tube :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I put up the clip of my giant Haunted Key because after watching the other clips of this effect on You tube,I thought I would show proper technique IMHO.
Also to show that the effect does not have to be performed with the shiney little key that you receive with the instructions.
The most difficult thing is finding a large antique key that is properly balanced.

It was only a demo of technique and not my personal presentation and routine.That,(My Presentation)is what makes this one of the strongest effects I perform,and is usually met with spontaneous applause.

Getting back to earlier comments by you and others:I believe it is a matter of the wrong tone of the criticisms,and not necessarily the substance.

I have learned,that here at the Café (and elsewhere),constructive criticism will be accepeted more readily if it is delivered in a calm and respectful manner.

Most (sadly not all) serious students of the Art,will carefully word their comments,so as not to offend...this also makes the critic more credible.

Best.

Rich

P.S.Thank-you Alexandre for your positive comments on my Haunted Key technique.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Personally, my frustration comes from what I see as a refusal (intentional or otherwise) to separate the presentation from the concept.

As an ****ogy, let's say the inventor of the thumb tip posted a demo of it, and that demo was uninspiring and dull. If you're unable to separate the presentation from the concept, you might respond with, "This thumb tip trick is long and stupid. I don't see why anyone would want a thumb tip."

--Josh
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
I am not sure why everyone has ragged on the video. This was not a paid gig presentation, but a group of friends getting together for an evening of visiting.
So many times as a performer I get asked to do something in an informal setting, I am not performing, but need to do something. I don't always want to pull something out of my repretoire of walk around stuff. I think this presentation was fine for that kind of situation. You had the volunteer do most of the work, everything was very fair, there are a variety of presentations you could use with this.
I would not present in this fashion for a corporate gig, but for a casual party like the one it was presented in I would say it was perfect.

Arthur
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
service189
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of service189
Hi everybody, I was hanging out with criss angel yesterday (I only had this trick 2 days) so I did it for him, he was blown away, its that good. so this should put a end to everybodys !@#$%en about this trick, just buy it if you don't like it go someplace else and !@#$%
Hogle
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
133 Posts

Profile of Hogle
Quote:
On 2006-10-28 12:04, service189 wrote:
just buy it...

Not in this life...

Greetings
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Its a little overpriced at $17 but to some it may be worth it and to service189 it is. If he likes it great but till I see another demo I am not sold on it right now.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Rich:

I enjoyed seeing your key technique. Nice, slow, and conrolled. That is how it should look!

Thank you.

Tony
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Thank-you Tony..it gives me the 'shivers' when I see guy's presenting this without holding there hand totally flat and still...especially around Halloween. Smile

Rich
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Rich,

Have you ever seen Osterlind's version of the key?

BTW, would you give us a link to the video of your version?

--Josh
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Yes Josh,I have seen Mr.Osterlinds version,and he is one of the few who truly understands the mind/muscle technique...that I have seen at least.
Here is the link to my Giant Haunted Key 'technique only'. http://tinyurl.com/yymqex

This is not the way I present it for real folk's.I have an actual routine that builds to magical orgasim. Smile

Best.

Rich
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Maybe keep this thread about NIHILO instead of haunted keys which I am sure you could start.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
OK:

EX NIHILO and its routining are very much like the haunted key. Both are very subtle and easy to do, but the mystery from a well done performance makes them both well worth consideration. Smile

Tony
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Alexandre, your method for this effect looks interesting. I don't know nor do I care how you did it. Like I say the effect does look like good. I would like to say that if you are going to sell something the presentation of an effect DOES matter. The better the presentation the better the sales. The presentation is what sells the product.

I hope this does not come across as bashing you because that is not my intention. Instead I hope that this comes across as constructive criticism.
Magic is a vanishing art.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3375 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Okay let's give this guy a break it's a great card trick with a long presentation If you like it buy it & customize it to your style !!!! I was just thinking this poor guy is trying to share an idea with us & look what happened a bunch of magicians & we just can't help but criticize, it's in are BLOOD ....
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
I understand what the video was all about. I know Ex- Nihilo and I know Alexandre.
Both are a cut above and worth getting to know. That was an impromtu video and not edited. It does not reflect on the creative and actual experiential knowledge that is Alexandre. He is indeed a person of talent and integrity.
Jim Callahan has built and written an awesome routine around this called Dead Boys. Very powerful.

Check out his other video of performances from the new thread. You'll see a little of what I'm talking about.

Best
John