The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Society of Young Magicians! :: SYM power struggle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
I am waiting to talk to Jann G. about this. I have a situation where a the clubs founder has told me he has the right to take back control of the club and if need be he has the power to unseat me (the president) and take total control back. He says this in wake of assuming control of certain parts of the meeting without asking. He says he is appointing board members (against the constitution) on his own and his biggest supporter is just as much a pain. The supporter says we have no legal board and he can sit himself, wife and friend on our board too because they are SYM approved leaders.

The truth in reviewing our local constitution they haven't any of these rights.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this kind of struggle and I really want to know if the "SYM approved leader" status has ever been revoked before.

Thanks
Mike
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Greetings Mike, to paraphrase something from Monopoly...do not stop, do not pass go...phone Jann Goodsell immediately and let her know what is happening. You might also consider going through Marc de Sousa and ethics in addition to Stu Schneider the legal advisor.

Good luck - I'd be interested in knowing what the outcome is.

Keep a dream in the making

Maria Ibanez
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
Thanks Maria - I talked to Jann last night and she is getting your suggestions involved already.

To everyone else - we have some of the best supporters on the national level. I appreciate what they are doing.
Bill Groome
View Profile
New user
Columbia, S.C.
89 Posts

Profile of Bill Groome
Hi Mike,
I experienced a similar situation. My former wife and I founded the SAM 284 and SYM 132 assemblies. The 2 individuals that took over actually banned us. I saw in a convention announcement that one of these individuals was actually claiming to be the founder in his bio. The politics can get really nasty. I wish you luck in resolving these issues. To my knowledge the club founder can not reclaim control.
All the Best,
Bill Groome (owner)
www.MadhatterMagicShop.com
Madhatter International
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Hi Bill, good to see you writing in. I helped a great deal when you were setting up the group so I know all you did.

Thanks for all you do for magic.

Maria
Bill Groome
View Profile
New user
Columbia, S.C.
89 Posts

Profile of Bill Groome
Thanks Maria,
Jerry and myself could never have done it without you. I appreciate all the assistance you gave us and for always being readily available. It was totally a team effort.
All the Best,
Bill Groome (owner)
www.MadhatterMagicShop.com
Madhatter International
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
Thanks for the encouraging notes. I know Jann was going to do some talking around and let me know. I hope we get thru this quickly.
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
Thanks for the encouraging notes. I know Jann was going to do some talking around and let me know. I hope we get thru this quickly.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
How unfortunate that such a powerful program must be tarnished by such immature behavior. Being very active in the I.B.M. Magic Youth, I am blessed to have only the most positive and supportive peers at my side and call. If a clearly better leader were to come along, I would gladly step aside and offer my support. That positive adult role model is more important than the greatest magic effect.

Mike and Bill, good luck with this situation. It's no wonder that SYM dominates the youth effort with leaders like Maria and the two of you. Don't give up!

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
Well it's been a great run. I've been enduring attack after attack, being lied about, being misled, etc. Enough is enough. I'm resigning and wishing the kids the best of luck with those trying to do me so much harm.

I've had fun trying to help design the new pins, getting a couple t-shirts made up for the kids, arranging give aways, helping kids learn new moves, new tricks. Motivating them to perform and enjoy the art of magic.

I've enjoyed teaching the kids. Some of the good times are getting time with Jonathon Pendragon before a local show to talk to the kids. Getting time with John Bundy (wacky dracky) and Morgan after their show to talk to the kids. And then recently getting Shoot Ogawa to come and hang out at the club.

The great times have to be watching my own kids performing "red hot mama", impressing Joshua Jay with a fancy 3 packet cut, showing Shoot Ogawa a bare handed coin matrix.

The best time was having a guest come up to practice a coin matrix - then hearing from his parents during the break "He NEVER gets in front of people, and HE NEVER does any public speaking" This was a young man with Aspergers syndrome who used this visit to the club to break out of his comfort zone - without even knowing it.
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Greetings, Mike, I am saddened to see that you are giving up on the program. The SYM is a wonderful program for the youth, which is after all, the future of magic.

It is indeed very sad that there are some who are so hungry for power that they would force a hard worker such as yourself to finally throw your hands up and say enough.

Back in April you had posted that Jann W. Goodsell, SYM Director, was going to "do some talking around" and that she would "let you know". Has this not happened? Jann is very busy but I know her and if she said she would do some talking and get back to you, she surely would have.

Mike, I know of your hard work and I know how much working with those juniors meant to you and to them. I respect your decision which I am sure was not made lightly but I am nonetheless saddened by it.

Please do let me know if I may ever be of any assistance -- see you at Midwest.

Keep a dream in the making for you create your tomorrows by what you dream today.

Maria Ibanez
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
It's a shame that it has come to this. Our local program and I are blessed with a very supportive Ring and membership in every way. If this were not the case, however, I know of several other sponsors in the local area that would love to host the program. I, personally, would not hesitate to move the group to another sponsor for the benefit of the kids.

Have you considered organizing a nonaffiliated magic youth club through the local arts or parks councils? At least until this political foolishness fades away.

Isn't it better to keep the program functioning under a separate charter than to abandon it to the capricious whims of a foolish few? Just a thought.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org