The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Society of Young Magicians! :: Insurance Available for SYM Performers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Hey everyone this is Magic4ewe, not Zazz...

I have a question I've been wondering about. Our daughter will soon be doing her 3rd show where she receives a "stipend" which has been negotiated by our local SAM President who is one of her mentors. She has a 4th show following the week after. The other shows she has done have been volunteer shows, not that it really matters if it is a paid show or volunteer show.

Our question is, how important is it to get liability insurance for her, and at the age of 13 CAN she be covered on a plan? I keep meaning to ask, but we get so busy at her SYM meetings that I never get around to it. I plan on asking for sure when we attend out local board meeting on Monday, but thought I would ask everyone's input here as well.

Thanks everyone!

~ Kristen
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Anyone?
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Just thought I would follow up on this subject. I spoke with the insurance agent for S.A.M. and was told that insurance was not available for S.Y.M. members, only S.A.M. members. The reason being that they are considered minors and the policy does not cover minors.

We were able to find insurance that would cover our daughter -- there is no age limit per the company -- through Clowns of the US (aka Performers of the US). The policy is $190 a year and runs April 25th through April 25th of each year and has good coverage.

I hope others find this information helpful.
David Rysin
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of David Rysin
Thank you VERY much for this!

I've thought about getting performer's insurance lately, but when I contacted the SAM I was told the exact same thing that you were and dropped the subject for a while. I'm really glad you brought this up and I'll make sure to get this in a few months when I start doing shows periodically (hopefully! As I've only done 3 so far and have a 4th lined up) as I do not believe insurance is necessary unless you are performing regularly at a restaurant or doing 4+ shows a month.

Thank you again,
~Magically Dave