The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: How to make dollars not stick (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
shooz
View Profile
Loyal user
Mercer, PA
269 Posts

Profile of shooz
Hey all,
I am looking for some way to keep brand new dollar bills from sticking together. Doing a type of rising cards with money. Anyone know of a substance that will make the slide without grabbing the next bill?
Thanks in advance...
Shooz
With you in thought(s)

Scott Shoemaker... Shooz
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I run my new bills through an applicator device for fanning powder - has always worked for me.
shooz
View Profile
Loyal user
Mercer, PA
269 Posts

Profile of shooz
Thanks, Rhett...
I see fanning powder sold in a small bottle. What device do you have for application?
Shooz
With you in thought(s)

Scott Shoemaker... Shooz
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I've used fine emery cloth, with modest success.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
scenic effects
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin - USA
77 Posts

Profile of scenic effects
How about using one of those "magic erasers" - the ones used for cleaning surfaces in the kitchen and bath, they seem to be micro-abrasive.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Shooz - there are a number of vendors, I am sure, who sell - in addition to the fanning powder - a fanning powder applicator. I am not particularly endorsing this online store - but here is one of them: http://www.tricksupply.com/product-p/30.067.htm
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
New bills stick to each other, but old bills do not. I have found that the difference is the fact that old bills are wrinkled. If your application will allow, try crumpling each bill into a small ball, rolling it around a bit, and then flattening it out. You'll find that there are a zillion little creases in the bill that you can't get out, and that prevents the bills from having too much surface-to-surface contact.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Funny, no one has heard of the two ways to treat new currency bills so they can be still in the new condition for magic purposes. These are very well known processes that have been around for 45 years.

1. Method has been mentioned. Our old friend Fanning Powder, but it should be applied with a cotton ball or pad, and only use a very small amount, as the powder can stick and show. So treat both sides, then use a clean cotton ball to go over the bills in a circular motion to remove as much excess as possible.

2. The next method is my preferred method. Go to Wal-Mart, find the shoe display for polishes and shoe strings. On the bottom shelf will be a product called "Instant Shine", buy one and go home and lay some paper on the table. Now simply glide the sponge treated pad over each bill on each side. Give a few minutes to dry, and you are all set to go.

Fanning, spreading and counting is a breeze.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Bill,

Does it make them shiny change the look of the bills?

I use the wrinkling method that Curtis mentioned.

If I need bills to open in a specific place like opening "Easy Money" to the center of the fold if run the center bill along the edge of a table on both sides so that the center bill's edges flare away from each other making the center easy to find.

-Mary Mowder