The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: Missing Dollar by Nick Einhorn (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
teratoma
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of teratoma
I just purchased this download from Vanishing, Inc and it is quite excellent. A very visual portrayal of a very old riddle. This will fry even those who understand the verbal riddle. Very nice!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I saw a demo of this, and as a kid liked the original riddle. Seems like the original riddle is "magical" to most, and Einhorn added a bit of magician's magic (as opposed to math-e-magics)
Have you used this on audiences? What was the response like? Do they see it as magic or just a riddle?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
teratoma
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of teratoma
I have not yet performed this with audience as I just purchased it last week. However, I will post a reply when I do. It's a very good question though and got me wondering about whether I will be able to interpret their response correctly. Perhaps the venue might influence the response/interpretation; i.e., if in the context of a "magic" show versus after dinner/bar conversation that is then directed toward riddles, etc. My father-in-law is an applied mathematician and he is the one that I am most looking forward to presenting this to as he knows I do magic but also that I have a degree in math; and, we have actually presented this riddle to the kids in our family and others many times over the years. I suspect that either interpretation will be just as interesting to the spectator.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I believe most will see this as a math trick.
Than a magic effect.
Todd
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2365 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
How does this compare/differ to Norman Beck's routine based on the same math riddle that he taught in his Penguin lecture?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4210 Posts

Profile of warren
Daryl has a version of this too which is very good, as this version is so clean I'm sure the spectators would want to check the bills out at the end of the routine so the question is there a way of handing out the bills to be examined at the end of the effect if asked ?
Crownhart
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Crownhart
Sure, you can always hand out the money. I use a oversized Himber wallet.
SinCIRCUSly,

Michael C. Crownhart
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4210 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2015, Crownhart wrote:

That would mean the cost of the trick just doubled Smile
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2015, warren wrote:
Quote:

Doubled?

Where are you buying your wallets?
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4210 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2015, warren wrote:
Quote:

Doubled?

Where are you buying your wallets?

I presumed when you said himber wallet that I would be using two lots of bills which would mean instead of carrying 30 dollars I would have to carry 60 dollars.......if I've got it wrong it wouldn't be the first time Smile
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
705 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I have to check, but I have a green spiral note pad type book called "the incredible missing dollar bill", (nice, heavy plastic- type pages), and I want to check if it is the same author, I have had this for years, I'm not sure who the actual creator of this effect is.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6781 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2015, nattefrost wrote:
I have to check, but I have a green spiral note pad type book called "the incredible missing dollar bill", (nice, heavy plastic- type pages), and I want to check if it is the same author, I have had this for years, I'm not sure who the actual creator of this effect is.

Sounds like you are describing Einhorn's IIRC.
king_amongthepigs
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of king_amongthepigs
I just saw the trailer today and it looked great. I agree with bowers though. The spectator will more likely see this as a math trick as there's too much going on.
r1chyoung
View Profile
New user
Oxford
92 Posts

Profile of r1chyoung
Hi guys,

You can hear an interview with Nick Einhorn on this weeks episode of The Magicians' Podcast here: http://magicianspodcast.podbean.com

I hope you enjoy it.

Best wishes,

Richard Young
Thanks, Richard
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2015, king_amongthepigs wrote:
I just saw the trailer today and it looked great. I agree with bowers though. The spectator will more likely see this as a math trick as there's too much going on.

I use a number of puzzle type effects in my corporate work as it illustrates the concepts very well. Puzzle type effects play more like magic if you have a good presentation. Example: most have seen connect the nine dots with 4 straight lines but when you want your team to be unified, it requires everyone working in the same direction. So now connect the dots with 1 straight line. May be a puzzle, but it takes on a whole new approach.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
AidanHeritage
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of AidanHeritage
I saw him lecture this at the IBM in (if memory serves) great Yarmouth - it's a good trick, and like all other tricks, when presented properly does the job of entertaining the audience. Nick has some lovely ideas, and he's a working pro!